Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
Hihihi... Stop that, I'm ticklish !
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

The rules state than action cards effects are triggered "last in first out", but when does the action of resting (tapping) a lightbringer take place ?

If I have a standing lightbringer and I want to use it(/him/her) to acquire a sky shard, I announce my intent. Now, my opponent has a "Jinx" action card, which effect is to rest a standing lightbringer.

If resting the lightbringer card is made while announcing the intent of taking the sky shard, the card has no effect because when it will take place the card will already be tapped.

If resting the lightbringer card is an effect stacked on the "effects pile" then the card will prevent the action since the lightbringer won't be able to use it's power since it will be tapped by the effect first.

The review posted in the forum is right : the rules aren't nearly specific enough for this kind of game which relies on precision of terms. But I guess if you're used to CCG such as Magic, you could assume most of the answers to the questions that will arise (such as the one about racial boost...)

Thank you,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
Hihihi... Stop that, I'm ticklish !
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm answering my own question.

It's been told to me that it probably is intended to copy how Magic: the Gathering works, therefore :
Tapping the card to actually do the action intended is an effect stacked, which can be prevented by another effect that would tap the card before it takes place. (playing "Jinx" does cancel the action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duncan wrote:
I'm answering my own question.

It's been told to me that it probably is intended to copy how Magic: the Gathering works, therefore :
Tapping the card to actually do the action intended is an effect stacked, which can be prevented by another effect that would tap the card before it takes place. (playing "Jinx" does cancel the action).

While I"m not disagreeing with the rule, I will point out that this is not how Magic: the Gathering works.

Specifically, any costs to play an ability are paid as soon as the ability is used, with no chance to respond. The effects of that ability are then carried out after the stack reaches that ability, giving everyone a chance to play responses. However, if a card has a tap ability, you can't tap that card "in response" to that ability being used to prevent it, as by the time you can respond it's already tapped.

Now, whether that applies to this game or not, I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.