Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first game, after the description of the noises in the first unexplored room, we decided to barricade the door, figuring whatever was making the noise should stay back there. A couple turns later, a Haunting Horror entered the room from that unexplored door.

Other than making a fun episode (turns out we probably should have gone through the door and rescue someone, but we were like, "Nah uh! I've seen this movie! We're blocking this door now!"), we weren't sure if A) the horror could emerge through the barricade 'freely' like that and B) if it was stopped by the barricade, does it just hang out in the darkness behind the door in the unexplored section?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
In our first game, after the description of the noises in the first unexplored room, we decided to barricade the door, figuring whatever was making the noise should stay back there. A couple turns later, a Haunting Horror entered the room from that unexplored door.

Other than making a fun episode (turns out we probably should have gone through the door and rescue someone, but we were like, "Nah uh! I've seen this movie! We're blocking this door now!"), we weren't sure if A) the horror could emerge through the barricade 'freely' like that and B) if it was stopped by the barricade, does it just hang out in the darkness behind the door in the unexplored section?

-shnar

I did the same. If you read the special ability of the 'horror' it says it can't be obstructed, so I came to the conclusion that the barricade couldn't stop it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

That spawning is a plot point spawn, so the barricade doesn't really work. Since it is player run mechanic (the app doesn't know it is there) it can't block monsters That are not actually on the board - since you run that.

It was a bad choice for FFG to use the app to introduce barriers the way it did as it has led to a lot of confusion.

If you put a barrier up between two tiles ALREADY on the table, and a monster spawns behind it, it will be blocked. But in this particular situation, the monster comes through regardless - since what makes it appear is a spawn and not an attempt at movement.

OSG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

I did the same. If you read the special ability of the 'horror' it says it can't be obstructed, so I came to the conclusion that the barricade couldn't stop it.

Well doesn't that make a BUNCH of sense... Always one step ahead FFG - let's keep it that way.

Well, no actually - the token bottom says it can pass through impassable borders - not walls/door/barriers (impassable borders are dotted lines...) In other words, it can fly through a kitchen pass through, but not walls or barriers (that will come with ghosts).

Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I just worked around it by putting the figure on the other side of the door. Activate as normal and when it tries to move it attempts to move barrier as usual. It doesnt really screw up the ap 'logic' at all. And it can be blocked by door barriers, it cant be blocked by impassable borders as was noted above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Petdoc wrote:
Actually, I just worked around it by putting the figure on the other side of the door. Activate as normal and when it tries to move it attempts to move barrier as usual. It doesnt really screw up the ap 'logic' at all. And it can be blocked by door barriers, it cant be blocked by impassable borders as was noted above.

That is what I did when the witch tried to pass through the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
Petdoc wrote:

Cool. That makes sense. I really love those barriers. I had one that held out for a REALLY long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone noticed if not moving the barricade makes the Horror enter sooner than if you move it?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
Has anyone noticed if not moving the barricade makes the Horror enter sooner than if you move it?...

You dont actually interact with barricades in the app so it has no way of knowing.....so no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petdoc wrote:
Titeman wrote:

You dont actually interact with barricades in the app so it has no way of knowing.....so no effect.

True. There is an odd disconnect in my brain between the app and the board. Not that I mind, but it's there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
Petdoc wrote:
Titeman wrote:

True. There is an odd disconnect in my brain between the app and the board. Not that I mind, but it's there...

It does take some getting used to. Try to think of the app NOT as a computer version of the game, but as the decks of cards you would need if the app was not there: explore cards, spawn cards, combat cards, event cards, etc. All those many, many cards that usually provide the randomness are now coming from the app. So its more like a card reader than where the game is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
Petdoc wrote:

We did the same. We had barricaded it so when the creature spawned, we put it outside the door. Then when the app did movement for it, we rolled to see if it broke through the barrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Carrington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think I recall the Hunting Horror "Crashing through" the door so I would play it smashes through the barricade.

I have played the barricade on the front door. Held up a Cultist for several rounds. I don't remember the spawn text and probably read it wrong. However following the Spawn mechanic others have used it makes sense given these Cultists are very familiar to the building so would probably go around to the side/secret door.

I think it only really works on a door connecting explored rooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Old Forge
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The clarification on this seems quite mixed. I too played this as spawning is different then a monster that was already on the board. The app almost lures you into using the barricade, but then seems to negate it.

I am assuming this will be fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Barricades based on interaction isn't integrated into the app. It only shows the space it exists and must be player-interacted for use. Normally barricades are interacted with when a monster already exists on the board or is placed on a door that already has the adjacent room explored to see the monster spawn in it and try to prevent its escape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules as written are actually quite clear: the monster is *placed* on the board as indicated. Barricades only come into play when a monster moves, not spawned. But, it just felt not very thematic since the horror is coming in from the room that was barricaded. We ended up house ruling that he was floating off the board until he could break down the barricade (only took one turn).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Anglemark
Sweden
Storvreta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
The rules as written are actually quite clear: the monster is *placed* on the board as indicated. Barricades only come into play when a monster moves, not spawned. But, it just felt not very thematic since the horror is coming in from the room that was barricaded. We ended up house ruling that he was floating off the board until he could break down the barricade (only took one turn).

-shnar

We did exactly the same. It broke down the barricade on the second attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it broke it down on the first attempt, so I could just have placed it anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I tried barricading the hunting horror, the barricade held so long that the horror didn't reach the investigators until the "big fight" at the end.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just did some testing for another Barricade issue, and I noticed that this narrative issue that was under discussion no longer seems to exist. The app must have been updated as the instructions for the appearing monster reference what to do if you had a barricade on that door.

Spoiler alert for the intended feature:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The barricade is automatically discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.