Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Gibson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He confirmed that all plans for expansions for this game have been scrapped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Briggs
United States
Farmington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that sucks. I want more variety in my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad i wanted more!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Roderick
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As we've heard but still makes me sad. Did he happen to elaborate on why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That royally, totally sucks. Couldn't get us one send-off product to get to 8 characters for tournaments or larger cards? Bleh. First black eye for GF9 that I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game, did it not sell well or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stoudemayer
United States
flag msg tools
That's really disappointing. I have a feeling the theme put some people off, same for Homeland and Sons of Anarchy (even though that did get two small club expansions). I don't think its any accident their next three properties are D&D, Star Trek, and Dr Who

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the community will have to get to work on making expansions for all the 80's stars...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did they give you any reason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard from a friend who was at Gen Con that the reason was it didn't sell well.

Which is a pity because I think it is a great game that could use more wrestlers, modes and content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gf_ripper wrote:
I heard from a friend who was at Gen Con that the reason was it didn't sell well.

Which is a pity because I think it is a great game that could use more wrestlers, modes and content.

Yeah, the funny thing is an expansion would have given it the appearance of life and may have moved more copies. Who knows? Some folks are like that, not taking the plunge until they see the expansions.

I guess I should look on the bright side--we don't get many very good wrestling games at all, and GF9 did give us one that's some good fun. I wish it were expanded with a dozen more characters, but given the niche appeal, I guess I should be grateful for what we did get.

Perhaps in a couple of years another company can buy the rights to the game engine and come at it with a WWE All-Stars approach--all Legends all the time, hyper-exaggerated art and moves, stuff like that. Go for the gusto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gf_ripper wrote:

I'd say that the unreasonably small starter roster and the complete lack of supplements is exactly the reason why it did not sell well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Vany
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disappointing to hear, not unexpected at this point with no news whatsoever. Still disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Woynillowicz
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I hadn't picked this game up yet was that there were so few characters so I was waiting to see expansions. Now it's a skip for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imperil wrote:
The only reason I hadn't picked this game up yet was that there were so few characters so I was waiting to see expansions. Now it's a skip for me

I enjoy the game quite a bit, but I may have very well skipped it too, knowing the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jarvis
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one I talked with didn't rule it out exactly, but did say it was on the back burner and no immediate plans at this time. He did mention that Hulk was their next one but with everything that happened, that is no longer the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game, as released, is begging for expansions. I think GF9 erred in only including modern wrestlers for the base game. Far more gamers are lapsed wrestling fans than active wrestling fans, so it'd have been smart to release with 80's and 90's wrestlers instead of modern guys most gamers have never heard of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
The game, as released, is begging for expansions. I think GF9 erred in only including modern wrestlers for the base game. Far more gamers are lapsed wrestling fans than active wrestling fans, so it'd have been smart to release with 80's and 90's wrestlers instead of modern guys most gamers have never heard of.

Technically, I agree, but its more important to WWE to promote their current roster than the legends. To GF9, a classic line-up would be better, but for the McMahons themselves, its way more important to be current.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:

I am a wrestling fan so modern or classic was fine by me. I just can't stress enough how much the game needs at least 8 characters, though. 12 or more is ideal, but 8 is the minimum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game's fans are vocal enough GF9 will make expansions. Perhaps a petition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
If the game's fans are vocal enough GF9 will make expansions. Perhaps a petition?
I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Petitions don't tend to do much. The best way to get the company's attention is by moving product and since I don't see this suddenly exploding in popularity without a push from the WWE or the publisher I'm not hopeful.

What it needed was a couple of mentions on WWE programming and a shelf presence in big box stores.

I can deal with the game getting canned, but it's crappy knowing that all these other game modes and wrestlers were in the works or ready to go. I'd really like to be able to use the referee and weapon rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe GF9 will release what they had worked on for the game as a pdf, or the community could simply develop homebrew expansion content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
Maybe GF9 will release what they had worked on for the game as a pdf, or the community could simply develop homebrew expansion content.

Seems a perfect thing for Kickstarter, actually--a quick, small run expansion. Four wrestlers, four decks. Maybe a few new rules cards. Offer the base game as an add-on if they're sitting on a stash of them. Man, that would be sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
or the community could simply develop homebrew expansion content.
This is already happening. I've been making card templates and a couple of other guys have been working on building the decks. Now if we could find some miniatures to 3D print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jarvis
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:

I don't see GF9 ever releasing that info because if in time they ever do want to market it, they would need to develop something else. For them it's better to hang on to it in case the need arises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.