$30.00
Cmdr Salamander
United States
California
flag msg tools
It would be nice if a summary of each game in the BGG database could be printed as a "card", with an image at the top and a summary of key information below (# players; genre; playing time; best with X players). You could then print out a few "decks" representing your collection and use them in a game night game selection mini-game. Maybe something like:

1. Everyone takes a deck.
2. Everyone selects two game cards and puts them face down in the middle of the table.
3. All cards are revealed and duplicates are discarded.
4. Everyone takes turns eliminating games until one winner remains.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems interesting, but my collection definitely isn't big enough for that. You would need like 30 games for that to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
I Don't Know, What Do You Want To Play?: My hopefully fixed variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cmdr Salamander
United States
California
flag msg tools
yaverot wrote:

Ah, I like your variant. Thanks for the link!

The reason I posted this in the 'BGG Suggestions' forum is that I'd love to be able to leverage their database to easily construct an informative "deck". Any chance the devs could do something like this? Or do they provide access to the database and images? (I have some programming experience and could probably whip something up given access to the necessary info.)

Edit: I should have Googled this before posting... looks like there are indeed resources for accessing the database. Will try to explore this further when I have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's a variation: Have a single deck, deal out 2 cards per player, eliminate cards per your original idea. This addresses the "problem" of a large collection and makes the exercise more random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of this just the other day, and was going to draw my own, except I have nearly 50 games and will add more, so manual cards will prove hard. It should be easy to spit out info for every game in the collection: things like time to play, genres, mechanics, number of players.

I was thinking they would work great less as a random selector and more as a quick overview of a library -- so that people could choose a game from my collection even if I'm not hovering right there to explain it to them.

Would love to know if something like this exists

Edit: Just tried that game/tool mentioned above, but the generator seems to be broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.