Hide
5 Posts

Risk» Forums » Variants

Subject: Play Risk using a set of D4-D20 dice.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
talos tolas
msg tools
I recently played Risk for the first time and i came up with an idea of playing risk with a set of dice from D&D..

Here are the customized rules i thought of.

1)STARTING THE GAME

each player draw 3 cards and choose which one would be his capital.then discards the other two cards..
or
a number of equally good territories is dealt out and player choose one to be his capital.this would be his capital and starting/spawn point for his army.if capital is lost, reinforcements stops until you take back your capital.
all the other cards are discarded.

the infantry/cavalry/artillery figure on each card shows your bonus.bonus is used ONLY in attacks.
example...kongo capital and infantry bonus..

all the other territories are occupied by a random neutral color
and values are rolled with a d6
1=1infantry
2=2inf
3=3inf
4=1cavalry
5=1artillery
6= -

each player starts with 35 value army...
the battalions are..
10soldier value= 1 artillery....attack/defense die = D12
5soldier value = 1 cavalry......attack/defense die = D10
3soldier value = 3 infantry.....attack/defense die = D8
2soldier value = 2 infantry.....attack/defense die = D6
1soldier value = 1 infantry.....attack/defense die = D4

2)Entering Battle
1st PHASE
RESOURCES ROLL(D20)..determines if you can sustain your army
15-20 ok
10-15 remove 1 value soldier
5-10 remove 2 value soldier
0-5 remove 3 value soldier
(+1 to every category for every continent you own)

CHANCE ROLL(optional)(D6)..3 positive and 3 negative effects..
1=Weakness....for 1 round your battalions roll 1 die lower
example = cavalry rolls a D8
2=Sabotage.........remove 1 opponent unit from the game
3=Mutiny......during the game the neutral forces you conquer becomes part of your army...during mutiny they turn against you for 1 round..
4=Mercenaries...Roll a D20, convert the value to whatever you like and use these forces (black color figures) for 1 round only
5=Plague........loose half your army's total value..convert again your battalions.(favors the bigger result)
example 1cavalry=5infantry = 3+2 = 2infantry out
6=Transport ship...attack any territory(except Afghanistan) by taking all forces from one territory and transport them by sea for only 1 transport and attack.

2nd PHASE
ATTACKS
artillery attacks a neighbor with a D12(in case of bonus artillery a tie is rolled again)..if artillery looses the battle is destroyed.
AND a LONG SHOT to a territory that is not connected to your current position with a D4(except oversea)if the roll is failed the attack stops immediately for this round.(in case of bonus artillery a tie is success)..if artillery looses the battle is NOT destroyed.

cavalry attacks a neighbor with a D10(in case of cavalry bonus a tie is rolled again)..(if cavalry looses the battle is destroyed.)
AND a SPRINT AND BYPASS an already captive area and attacks the next one(except oversea)(if cavalry looses the battle is destroyed.)

3infantry attacks a neighbor with a D8 (in case of infantry bonus a tie is rolled again)..if 3infantry looses the battle continues as a..
2infantry attacks a neighbor with a D6 (in case of infantry bonus a tie is rolled again)..if 2infantry looses the battle continues as a..
1infantry attacks with a D4 (in case of infantry bonus a tie is rolled again

when you win the battle you choose if you want to kill the neutrals or recruit them in your army..(the neutral battalions continues to be of different colors inside your army and cannot merge with your troops but they can make their own battalions.. example 3 infantry..)

Also neutral forces cannot be completely left alone to guard a captured territory

3 PHASE
REINFORCEMENTS ROLL (D20) (plus a d4 if you own Australia)
d6 if you own south america
d8 if you own africa
d10 if you own europe
d12 if you own north america
s20 if you own asia

convert the value to whatever you like and place them at your capital..

MOVEMENT OF TROOPS move freely whatever you like wherever you want and reshape battalions if you like

i want to know your opinion on this mode and what you think about it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lindén
Sweden
flag msg tools
Most of your ideas are great for making Risk more challenging and a bit less based on luck.

I like your idea of having a capital, but I think too much can be decided early on if one player gets a territory that's way better than the others when it comes to defending or unit bonus. Maybe you could deal with this by having a number of equally good territories dealt out randomly, or by giving each player a choice from 3 drawn cards?

Resources roll and Chance roll are both cool ideas.

Your Attack phase sounds really interesting as well.
What about artillery long shot? Can it be used once per round, or once per artillery unit each round? Can you move units to a territory defeated by a long shot?

I'm not sure that being able to move whatever units wherever you want is a good idea. How come you want this change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
talos tolas
msg tools
thank you for your support...i really liked the game but i thought the luck factor was bigger than the strategy..when my friend told me we only use the cannons to represent 10 soldiers i was a little disappointed..
that is why i thought of that system very quickly because i wanted the cavalry and artillery to have a better role in the game..

your idea of "equally good territories" and "3 drawn cards" was a very nice one and i agree totally..i am gonna put them in the mod list :-)

the artillery LONGSHOT will attack the 2nd area(every area that is not linked to your current position(except sea connections)and will be an extra attack after each artillery unit's main attack...i am going to allow attack again only if the previous one is successful...
if LONGSHOT defeats enemy troops the territory remains empty until you move troops there and only if you cleared the way first..otherwise remains empty.

as for the ending phase you got me there because i had already used all my ideas and i couldnt come with something good at that point :-)..but because artillery and cavalry units die at once it will be difficult if MOVEMENT PHASE required more time...

keep in mind that i haven't tested it yet and i am afraid that flaws are going to overwhelm the game board...i am open for suggestions..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lindén
Sweden
flag msg tools
Quote:
your idea of "equally good territories" and "3 drawn cards" was a very nice one and i agree totally..i am gonna put them in the mod list :-)

Great! I'm happy to help

Quote:
the artillery LONGSHOT will attack the 2nd area(every area that is not linked to your current position(except sea connections)and will be an extra attack after each artillery unit's main attack...i am going to allow attack again only if the previous one is successful...
if LONGSHOT defeats enemy troops the territory remains empty until you move troops there and only if you cleared the way first..otherwise remains empty.

I'm not sure that I completely understand what you mean here. First, you have to conquer a territory normally. Then, once that's accomplished, you can fire a long shot at the next territory.
Did I get that right?

Like I said, your ideas are interesting. Please tell me how it worked if you playtest it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
talos tolas
msg tools
if your artillery occupies the south america at territory 1(Cape Horn) it connects with territories 2 & 3..the long shot is optional and aims for territory 4..every time long shot aims a territory that is not connected to your current position. it can happen before the main attack or after...but if roll is unsuccessful it stops immediately..if roll is successful you can continue attacking.

it is useful because artillery and cavalry can do a good damage but can also be destroyed at one failed roll..that means that you will have to use infantry for a secure outcome..

i wanted infantry to be necessary
cavalry to be the quick
and artillery to be the support

so that no one would use only one type of army..

as soon as i test it i will upload problems and corrections :-)
thanks again and any idea would be welcome..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.