Florida
flag msg tools
Talk to me about solo-gaming!
badge
Here I come to save the day!
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday, August 6th.

My First Encounter with the Solo-AI

So there I was, the people had been working the fields tirelessly producing and harvesting resources, while my engineers put extra time into producing the fiercest mechs Eastern Europa had ever seen.

As general of the Saxony faction I knew the end was but a few card flips away. The autometta (easy) hadn't put up that much of a challenge to this point, but this being my first game I thought it appropriate of a challenge. However the Nordics had managed to reach the factory ruins, with one of their mechs posted there taunting me from a distance. And with 5 stars already achieved, the situation had become desperate and I knew there was a possibility that this key location could swing this campaign into their favor.

So with the time I had left I made sure to get in good with the people and increase my popularity, bolster up my troops and tech with some more power, and gain some strategic intel in the form of combat cards. Seeing that the moment was ripe, I chose my final action, a move action that put two of my mechs into the factory, sending a third to drop off some workers and secure another few territories. Surely there was no need for a third mech against a single opponent? Not with the knowledge and tech I had in tow.

But this was no ordinary mech as I would soon find out. In a flash, combat ensued and I put forth a "5", a "4", and the max of "7" from my combat power storage. With 16 combat power, I went into battle very confident. After all there is only a .05 chance that the AI will draw the lone card that allows them to play three cards into combat. Alas, as I flipped that final card, three yellow rectangles were staring right back at me! So I shuffled the AI's combat cards and slowly turned each one over: first card is a 3. OK could've been worse. Second card, a 2. Wow, ok still good. 5's are the least common card in the combat deck and that would be the only card to beat me. I flip the last one as if ripping off a Band-Aid and......

a 4! It's a tie! I stood there in disbelief. Not only to the fact that they were able to play three cards, but that we actually tied; after I put everything I had into that battle. A quick check of the rules to verify and sure enough, as the attacker I win the tiebreaker securing me the factory!

As it turns out, that was a huge point swing for the game, as I would've lost! The final score was 88 to 63 versus a 75-76 loss had the AI maintained control of the factory!

Let this one go down in history!

Edit: The original post had me winning either way (88-63, or 79-72) but as it was pointed out, I didn't factor in the final star for the AI, which would've have been another 8 point swing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great mini-Session Report...loved the nail-biting story surrounding combat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SSGMightyMouse wrote:
The final score was 88 to 63 versus a 79 to 72 victory had the AI maintained control of the factory.

You'd have lost 75 to 76, since the AI would also get the combat star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Santiago
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tankbard wrote:
SSGMightyMouse wrote:
The final score was 88 to 63 versus a 79 to 72 victory had the AI maintained control of the factory.

You'd have lost 75 to 76, since the AI would also get the combat star.

You're right! That makes it even better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Baumgarten
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyable session report, well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Santiago
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thank you! I had just as much fun playing it, as I did writing this. I'm gonna give this difficulty one more crack then move up from there if I win by as big a margin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report, fun to read.
One question, how did your workers got spread out so much? They have to move to the most adjecent (neigborhood) units, right? Or am i missing something here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.