Subject: Anyone played yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theodore Martinovich
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hulk can see ghosts, breathe underwater, and survive a nuclear bomb.
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCSE5I0Wp7c
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love some real world impressions from gen con folks. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love a full copy from CMoN from GenCon to review instead of having to wait 3 more months for my KS one...soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Would love a full copy from CMoN from GenCon to review instead of having to wait 3 more months for my KS one...soblue

As much as I'm chomping at the bit to play this, I'd much rather wait for my KS copy with all of the extras than just the Gencon core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This avatar stinks!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know someone who backed it and also went to GenCon. He picked up a copy there. So I guess he'll have a second set when the Kickstarter is sent out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kirchhoff
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a KS Backer that also couldn't wait any longer.

I played a brief demo and was hooked.

It's a ton of fun. Scratches a lot of the same itch that is Arcadi Quest, but is a bit easier to teach and plays a little faster. Imagine this will see significantly more table me with my group than AQ got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:

I don't really have any heartburn with this being sold at GenCon, but I certainly don't expect that we will receive our pledges in 3 months. There are several miniatures from the KS exclusive lot that are not yet finished. I don't expect that we'll see Masmorra before 2017, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if it arrives before Christmas.

Hopefully, at least Inferno will arrive before BGG.CON in November, but prospects aren't exactly looking great for that either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw Masmorra for sale at the CMoN booth during Gencon, and I was kind of regretting not Kickstarting it. I don't know what they were selling it for, but fortune smiled on me, and I was lucky enough to win a copy of this game at the Secret Cabal Meetup. I gave it a first run through with my son this morning. Here are my quick impressions after a learning game:

Everything looks and feels great! The minis, dice, board tiles, etc are all fantastic. Game play might best be described as Arcadia Quest express. The game seems like it wants players to explore and fight as quickly and as much as possible, but this is a great way to die quickly. Exploring medium rooms, disarming traps, opening treasure chests, and killing monsters gives you experience. You only need 16 xp to win, and some monsters will put you 1/4th of the way there. Of course, there are traps, the other players can hit you with the negative effects of Treasure Cards, and they'll throw more monsters at you than you can handle during their Dungeon Master Phase. There's a lot of "push-your-luck" (which I'm a big fan of) and "take that" elements (which I'm not such a big fan of). The "take that" stuff isnt't so annoying because there seem to be plenty of Treasure Cards that negate the effects of others, and having monsters moved towards you can actually be a good thing. It fits in with the theme and it seems that the game will really move along quickly if everyone knows how to play.

Afterwards, I reread the rules and found out we did a handful of things incorrectly, and I still have a few questions about Treasure Card timing before/during battles. We'll give it another go later today, but I think it's going to be a big hit with my son and I as well as my gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does everyone think this is going to be better for casuals than AQ? I kickstarted Inferno and then later got AQ, which I since have math traded away. It took us too long to get on the table, just for initial setup. We typically like our games right around 60 min (including setup) and it didn't really hit that. Maybe with repeated plays it might have, I don't know. I'm already planning on selling my Infero once we get it. Now I wish I had Kickstarter Masmorra instead. Anyone want to trade??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Langalore wrote:
Does everyone think this is going to be better for casuals than AQ? I kickstarted Inferno and then later got AQ, which I since have math traded away. It took us too long to get on the table, just for initial setup. We typically like our games right around 60 min (including setup) and it didn't really hit that. Maybe with repeated plays it might have, I don't know. I'm already planning on selling my Infero once we get it. Now I wish I had Kickstarter Masmorra instead. Anyone want to trade??

I think the easy level in the original Arcadia Quest could be setup and played in a little over an hour.. especially with people who know what they're doing and if you don't have too much AP from players. I'm a pretty quick turn taker in AQ -- generally already knowing what I want to do before it's my turn.

For a Hard level, I think the times are going to creep more to the 2 hour mark... I can't speak for Inferno...

I haven't played Masmorra yet, but it looks like the setup will be super quick -- and I suspect game play is probably about 45 minutes or so..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kennyj wrote:
I haven't played Masmorra yet, but it looks like the setup will be super quick -- and I suspect game play is probably about 45 minutes or so..

Yeah setup is very fast. There is only one starting tile, and the rest are shuffled up according to dungeon level and number of players. Other than that, each character starts with two random Treasure Cards and you're ready to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Albin
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a four player competitive game. Aside from one player that used the "take back my move" idea to excess...

"I'll teleport my character to HERE."

(A few seconds' pause, then)

"Ok, I play a card that says you take a damage now that you're adjacent to me. You only had one life point, so your character dies and you suffer the death penalties as per the rules we've already explained."

"Wait, no, before that happens, I drink a potion, so I don't die."

"No, you didn't say that you drank a potion. You're only saying that because you're dead otherwise."

After losing that argument (timing question), the player then said that they've decided not to teleport to that spot after all.

Not my game, I'd said my piece. I just won't play with that person (yup, that person won) again.

But the GAME is great. I'm writing this to make sure that anyone who plays follows the "too late to take back a decision once hidden info is revealed" guideline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nagred wrote:
Just played a four player competitive game. Aside from one player that used the "take back my move" idea to excess...

"Ok, I play a card that says you take a damage now that you're adjacent to me. You only had one life point, so your character dies and you suffer the death penalties as per the rules we've already explained."

"No, you didn't say that you drank a potion. You're only saying that because you're dead otherwise."

After losing that argument (timing question), the player then said that they've decided not to teleport to that spot after all.

Not my game, I'd said my piece. I just won't play with that person (yup, that person won) again.

But the GAME is great. I'm writing this to make sure that anyone who plays follows the "too late to take back a decision once hidden info is revealed" guideline.

Man that would be pretty annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marco pacchiarini
Italy
pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone played cooperative\solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't dealt with the excessive take-back problem, but in any group, there are going to be people that you gravitate toward playing with...and not. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nagred wrote:

Yah, I think I know that guy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
Nagred wrote:

Yah, I think I know that guy

Wait, you know me? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harm van der Schans
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd also like to hear from anyone who played this co-op (or has the game and can tell me about the co-op cards).
The take-that mechanics are so-so for our group, so I am wondering if I can substitute it for the co-op deck (and what kind of effect those are, hopefully just some one-time use beneficial effects).

Of course there is also the complete co-op, but that might be boring after a few runs (as the end boss is always the same), so I am hoping with a small house-rule to use the co-op treasure deck, I can make the normal mode also usable in our group.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide more info on the co-op treasure cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soulflame wrote:
I'd also like to hear from anyone who played this co-op (or has the game and can tell me about the co-op cards).
The take-that mechanics are so-so for our group, so I am wondering if I can substitute it for the co-op deck (and what kind of effect those are, hopefully just some one-time use beneficial effects).

Of course there is also the complete co-op, but that might be boring after a few runs (as the end boss is always the same), so I am hoping with a small house-rule to use the co-op treasure deck, I can make the normal mode also usable in our group.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide more info on the co-op treasure cards!

My son really wants to play co-op, and I might give it a try with my game group tomorrow. I'll give some impressions if we do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Martinovich
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hulk can see ghosts, breathe underwater, and survive a nuclear bomb.
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCSE5I0Wp7c
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. I was very iffy on this. Glad it's sounding so good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Looks great, feels great, rules are solid.

On the down side, the base game isn't much on its own. Mind you, I may be spoiled by all the idea of all the extra stuff in the super deluxe Kickstarter. But there aren't many heroes or boss monsters to choose from, and no choice in the monster dice.

There are only four total paths for upgrades, but that's probably a non-issue when you have a lot of heroes to choose from. Also, those bonus XP cards should never ever be used for anything but bonus XP.

As of now, I have no problem waiting for the Kickstarter in (fingers crossed) three months or less. The game, with all the extra options, will absolutely be worth it to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.