Hide
20 Posts

Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: RE on Control Marker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Mooney
msg tools
Just had a RE move onto a German Control Marker.
1)Should that be a possible move?
2)If it is a proper move, what happens?

Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
padraic49 wrote:

Patrick

I think you draw to see if the RE is real, but might be mistaken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
padraic49 wrote:

Patrick

An interesting situation! Yes, if in this case it's a Soviet AI then you should draw a counter for it to see if it flips the control marker.

EDIT: I've completely changed my mind on this, see below discussion. I've emailed Uwe for confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
padraic49 wrote:

Patrick

An interesting situation! Yes, if in this case it's a Soviet AI then you should draw a counter for it to see if it flips the control marker.

FWIW this isn't mentioned in 4.1.4 Mission Objective or 6.2 Revealing Rumored Enemy. Is it somewhere else in the rules, or are you giving an official clarification/erratum?

(I could easily imagine the intent being the other way, i.e. in the absence of some rule to the contrary, RE can take control of a control marker if it's not sufficiently guarded by the player, since "RE are treated like other AIs." (6.1))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, in essence "We think the enemy control that dirt we want to hold onto. Go get it." Perception is reality in practice.

I do not think I would draw anyone, but rather keep the RE and flip control to maintain the above theme elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys give some good points. I'll pop Uwe an email and see what he says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dyrda wrote:
Yes, in essence "We think the enemy control that dirt we want to hold onto. Go get it." Perception is reality in practice.

I do not think I would draw anyone, but rather keep the RE and flip control to maintain the above theme elements.

This only works though if no points are rewarded for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Dyrda wrote:

This only works though if no points are rewarded for it.

That's not entirely clear to me; if the RE turns out later to be not a real unit, a case like this could be considered to represent some tiny enemy group, below the scale of a game's combat unit, but still able to change "control" of an empty location. Or it represents an enemy combat unit which later disbanded/deserted/whatever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the absence of clarification from Gunter, the rules for revealing RE clearly do not say RE is revealed when reaching an objective. So I would play it that way until clarified.

It makes some sense. If Player fears AI will get points for control, then Player should fire on RE holding objective or otherwise cause the RE to be revealed. This gives some drive (Player motivation) to the FF that would not exist if RE was revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the human player has to be punished for not covering the board in such a way as to reveal the RE. It should always be a priority to get those markers exposed as quickly as possible. I would make the control marker flip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Mooney
msg tools
All the players units were spent very early in the game. One unit came on the board and was spent. The RE moved several times before occuppying the the control marker.
Just the luck of the draw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
I think the human player has to be punished for not covering the board in such a way as to reveal the RE. It should always be a priority to get those markers exposed as quickly as possible. I would make the control marker flip.

You guys have me completely convinced, and frankly, this also matches up with the rules as written.

So I would say play it this way until you hear otherwise. I did email Uwe, but he'll have just gotten home from GenCon... I'll let you know when I hear back from him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also the most exciting way to play it. Having to assault an objective with a RE sitting on top of it just oozes fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got response from Uwe and sounds like we are all in agreement:

Quote:

The Control Marker changes control. War is psychological and if forces think it is occupied by the enemy, they are affected by this intel.
If the RE is ever revealed at a future point and turns out not to be a unit, the Control does not revert. The damage has been done and friendly non-AI forces must occupy it again to revert it back to their control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Got response from Uwe and sounds like we are all in agreement:

Quote:

The Control Marker changes control. War is psychological and if forces think it is occupied by the enemy, they are affected by this intel.
If the RE is ever revealed at a future point and turns out not to be a unit, the Control does not revert. The damage has been done and friendly non-AI forces must occupy it again to revert it back to their control.

Well, I was the original erroneous voice. But y'all talked me into it and Uwe cemented it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Well, I was the original erroneous voice. But y'all talked me into it and Uwe cemented it

I was the original dissenter! Victory Point for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Mooney
msg tools
Thank you to all for the imput. Sometimes I wonder how people learned to play these games before the internet.

Patrick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
padraic49 wrote:
Thank you to all for the imput. Sometimes I wonder how people learned to play these games before the internet.

Patrick

Mark Herman says one of his early jobs was replying to rules questions sent via mail.

We now pause our game for weeks as we check with the publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
padraic49 wrote:

Patrick

We wrote letters to the company and waited patiently for them to reply, heh. I can pick up any of my "The General" magazines and see letters from people I now recognize on BGG.

On a related subject, we also navigated to places with handwritten directions or just a map. Now THOSE were dark days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:

We wrote letters to the company and waited patiently for them to reply, heh.

You forgot to mention the bit about having to phrase the question so it could be answered with a yes or no. That used to piss me off so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.