10 Posts

Second World War at Sea: Coral Sea» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dad trying to play game with 16 year-old son.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philoneas Paull
msg tools
cry

After months of talking about it, we ordered this game and it arrived. We had a pizza and excitedly opened the box. I knew there would be rules. Ben went through them carefully and so we decided to try the simplest scenario they offered. Not the Ops level yet, just battle scenario #1, "Night Action".

We flipped a coin and he took allies. He sets up on the tactical map.
I am axis and have initiative and then set up. 2 ships minimum per hex. so he did 3 in A1 and 4 in one of the surrounding B hexes. I had 5 ships so I had 2 in a hex and 3 in another. We picked an arbitrary direction for his units, headed east?

Now the problem. Movement? Wow. Ships speed from the counters can be 2,3 or 4. But I see nothing about how that correlates to hexes moved. I am looking for some kind of explanation or guidance for the brand new player. NOTHING.
Searched the internet. Nothing. Just BGG.

So we put it all back in the box until we get a clue. Please help. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have it in front of me, and if you look at the tactical turn sequence of play, I believe it says which ships move when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philoneas Paull
msg tools
I see the 22 impulses and WHEN each side moves but I don't see any correlation to ship's speed number 3 or 3+ to how many hexes it can move on the tactical board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hawkins
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been awhile but when a ship moves on the tactical board (i.e., on its impulse), it moves one hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each impulse is supposed to say "Ships with speed 3 move on this impulse" or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so 6.41 says "when a group is allowed to move, it may remain in its current hex or move one hex in any direction."

6.44 then tells you which groups move on which impulses.

So, a speed 4 group for the non-initiative player moves on impulses 2, 6, 11 14 and 18. That's actually 5 times. You'll notice all groups actually move one more time than their factor. I have no answer for why that's so. I think it's to make even speed 1 ships faster than ships being towed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philoneas Paull
msg tools
Oh, ok. Thanks so very much. I saw one hex but now it makes overall sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hepp
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
O-H!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the SWWAS rules to be harder to grasp than they needed to be.

Once you see how to play you can find it in the rules but for me the rules are written in a hard to understand style.

I think the Operational Scenarios are great fun but learning combat with the Battle Scenarios is a good time also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philoneas Paull
msg tools
Instructions/directions/Rules should be written and then checked against an audience of new players. I guess these guys didn't do that it sure seems!

He is here today and we will give it a go again.

One thing I was wondering about and will review the rules but on the battle board you pick a course you are on and then the one hex movement applies to any direction but you stay on the same course or do you turn and go on a new course?

If you were headed east, how realistic is it that you would be able to move west so easily, i.e., move a hex to the stern, in other words go back behind where you are? "ALL BACK FULL Mr. SULU" ???

I should check the intended size of the hex and time that an impulse represents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
"Funny isn't it, how naughty Japanese admirals always make that one fatal mistake..."
mbmbmbmbmb
SWWAS is primarily an operational game, with a simple tactical component provided to quickly resolve surface actions that may occur.

Facing is not considered in basic surface combat (Sections 6,7,8); however that can be added with the optional rules in Section 18 Joe and Brien included (formations, crossing the T, etc).

For new players getting started, I've suggested the following sequence.

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.