Legendary: Civil War» Forums » Rules

Subject: New Generation of Hydras rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Patriot's cards do not specify Hydra like Zombie Madame Hydra does. I think it's pretty broken if it's supposed to be able to work with Hydra starters, as happened in a game I played today. Technically, because they only specify S.H.I.E.L.D., they should get a bonus for Hydra, but I'd basically rule for game balance that it wouldn't. Am I out of line on any of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, you're right that we need an official ruling. Either they forgot to add Hydra, thought it didn't fit thematically to mention them on a Hero, or Hydra counts towards Patriot.

I play a house rule of Hydra = Shield. For Thematic reasons, you can think of it as the "Winter Soldier variant" where Hydra infiltrated Shield. There isn't enough Hydra to make this problematic. And it's easier since I have the base Villain set instead of the Hero set haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Lyons
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules for Fear Itself state that HYDRA and SHIELD are the same affiliation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt O
msg tools
I just re-read the Fear Itself rules and I'm pretty sure they're only considered equal if you aren't playing both base games together. If you are using contents from both the Villains sets and the Heroes sets they're treated separate.

The way I've been playing since mixing both sets is you pick your starting team (shield or hydra) based on what heroes you're playing. So if you have a hero like Patriot and Nick Fury that deals with Shield cards you definitely want to start with Shield cards. If you're playing and have a character like Ultron or Green Goblin that have effect dealing with Hydra cards you should probably start with Hydra cards. Again, this is assuming you're combining both heroes and villains sets and have the option to start with either shield or hydra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jestergoblin wrote:
The rules for Fear Itself state that HYDRA and SHIELD are the same affiliation.

Fear Itself says "If you don't have the Villains set and are using the original Heroic Marvel Legendary set instead, here's what to do... If a card mentions or is part of the HYDRA team, use the S.H.I.E.L.D. team instead."

So they just put that in there for people that don't have HYDRA starters, which would suck for the Fear Itself cards that power up from HYDRA affiliated cards.

In general, if you do own both sets, you're not supposed to just count HYDRA and SHIELD as equivalent all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I think you're asking about Patriot's cards that say things like, "You get +1 Fight for each Hero Name among your non-SHIELD Heroes," right? So if someone is playing with SHIELD starters, they wouldn't get any bonuses for the SHIELD starters in their hands. But if they are playing with HYDRA starters, they would.

I don't know anything about the Patriot character, but are they saying thematically that Patriot has something against SHIELD and that he's not as powerful when he's around them? My first thought upon seeing the cards was that he's more powerful when he's around a variety of different heroes and that's why he gets bonuses for having different Hero Names in the player's hand. And I thought they added that "non-SHIELD" clause in just to make sure that you couldn't use your starter cards to power him up. In that case, I wish they had said something more like, "... among your non-Starter Heroes."

But if, thematically, it does have more to do with Patriot being against SHIELD, then it would make sense for him to be more powerful with a group of Hydra cards in the player's hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I know nothing about Patriot, but I assume "each Hero Name among your non-SHIELD Heroes" is to "each Hero Name among your Heroes" as Captain America's "class" is to "color" (which his older cards looked for). That is, Patriot counts different heroes as opposed to Cap counting colors, and like the newer Caps, Patriot doesn't want to count starters. I think this was the best way they could come up with to express that concept. The two downsides being it doesn't address the Villains starters, and it excludes Steve Rogers, Director of SHIELD, Nick Fury, etc.

I'd have probably gone with "non-zero cost Heroes".

That's all assuming that it isn't a thematic thing against SHIELD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berney P.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think "Ally" is a Hero Name, and that's what appears on the starters. I think Madame Hydra (and Skadi if you have Villains) do count towards Patriot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yenreb wrote:
I don't think "Ally" is a Hero Name, and that's what appears on the starters. I think Madame Hydra (and Skadi if you have Villains) do count towards Patriot.

Actually, both of the HYDRA starter cards have "Ally" as their Ally/Hero Name. So I would say, if anything, any number of HYDRA starter cards in your hands would only give you +1 toward the total bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, Madame HYDRA and New Recruits also have a Hero/Ally Name of "Ally". So I think if you had a handful of HYDRA starters, Madame Hydras, and New Recruits, you would only get +1, because they all have the same Ally/Hero Name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary: Fanboy
mbmbmbmbmb
Madam Hydra is named Viper like SHIELD Officer is named Maria Hill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, you're right. I need glasses. So she would give Patriot another +1. But New Recruits does have a Hero/Ally Name of "Ally".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both bases and every expansion but Civil War (it hasn't shown up at my FLGS yet). My SHIELD starters are worn out (we played quite a lot before I sleeved them) so I often use the Hydra starters instead. I play them interchangeably unless I have heroes that call for both in the game (e.g. Nick Fury and Ultron) and then we have a discussion on which starters or combination of starters to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the challenge of sometimes having mismatched starters with heroes. I just played a game with HYDRA starters and Nick Fury. Nick was much less effective without his SHIELD buddies, so it really ramped up the difficulty of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the intent was to include the HYDRA logo on it along with the SHIELD logo. Look at Old Man Logan's rare from SWv1, it shows both icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
I think the intent was to include the HYDRA logo on it along with the SHIELD logo. Look at Old Man Logan's rare from SWv1, it shows both icons.

You mean that Patriot's cards should have said things like, "You get +1 Fight for each Hero Name among your non-SHIELD and non-HYDRA Heroes."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.