Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivanatom the Humble
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mb
Good Day!

I am looking to expand my tiny tiny board games collection. I enjoy Dungeon Crawlers gameplay and would like to play solitary (due to real live sad reality). That is why I somehow got Myth on my radar.

Unfortunately I notice huge debates on this particular game. Lots players rise valid concerns regards still incomplete "missions" and needs for upgrade even for such pricey product.

I don't want to order game just because it looks exactly as I want. I would like to try it out and make decisions based on personal experience. And here is a problem I face - in every board game venues I know, this game is not on a list. So finally, here is my question - Is there anyone in Toronto willing to show me a game and maybe play hour or two?

It's up to you to choose Board Game Cafe - I'll pay fee. And of course - coffee + snack is on me.

Thank you, Andy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some games on YouTube you could watch. It's a whole different paradigm and a difficult game to learn I've found so far. Learning it myself. Very puzzly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a very nice offer Ivanatom. Who wouldn't want to play Myth with a fellow gamer with coffee and cake to boot!

Pity we're so far apart

I'm by no means a fan of heavy nor complex games, and I think Myth plays very smoothly, especially after the first game. I highly recommend having this great flowchart on hand while playing: your first game(s).

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/129812/myth-game-round-fl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Toronto and have the core game and 2.0 materials. When I game I usuallay play at 401 Games downtown. I would certainly be happy to play but I won't be available for a few weeks (work and life, etc.). I could certainly contact you in the near future if you are still interested.

I KS'ed this project at the Journeyman entry point so I only have the core stuff but I will be receiving everything else as it is released. I went a bit crazy and went in for everything. Who knows, if you enjoy the game and aren't too far away, perhaps we can begin an ongoing campaign. As you can see from my list of games I am a fantasy adventure/dungeon crawler nut. I have the full line of Descent, Super Dungeon Explore and in the foreseeable future, Middara and Massive Darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely worth reading up and watching everything you can first. Usually I can learn a new game pretty quickly (even if I'm not a "good" player afterward). But with this game, I have a lot of "what now" moments where I stare at the board wonder what in heck I'm supposed to be doing.

The best I can explain it is like when you teach someone their first role playing game. The concept is so different from say a board game or a war game that the learning curve can be steep.

Even the mechanics of figuring out how to actually play a character on a tile so as to end up clearing the tile is hard enough, especially as every character has a totally different mechanism for how it works. But beyond that, the idea that you're all playing a sort of dungeon master collectively, trying to put context to what you're doing is a real brain twister, even for former DMs like me.

Study up before you play, but plan on a lot of head scratching trying to catch on. I'm still trying to puzzle it out enough to teach it to my usual opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivanatom the Humble
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everybody participating in thread.

David Griffin - I am watching and read as much as I can about this game. That's why I realize, that I need a help from an expert

Geoff - haha, it might be a reason to visit Australia, but on a second thought - I need to save money for Myth and additional materials! Well, one day, one day...

Brian - of course, just give me a short notice! 401 - why not. I'm in Mississauga, so if you somewhere on a way, I can give you a ride. Anyway, looking forward for a Myth play. I'll try my best to learn as much as I can meanwhile.

Thank you, Andy aka Ivanatom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thompson-Wood
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Andy,

I too have gone in heavy for the journeyman expansion with modules and extras! I am always looking for more players to enjoy the game with!

I live in Georgetown, just north of Mississauga, perhaps the three of us could get together sometime to delve into a few quests or so?

Talk soon.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
That does it, I'm moving to Canada!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivanatom the Humble
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Mark. Georgetown! That is awesome. I am at Winston Churchill and 401 area, just SE of you. Don't forget - we have DeCode not far from there. Or if there are any board game venues in Georgetown. Let me know when and where!

Manu - use to live in Frankfurt-Oder when I was a kid... Deutschland... good time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Yee
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG, any chance I can lurk over you guys and watch (if I can find time in my busy schedule). I'm just north of Mississauga (407 & Mavis).

Andy ... thanks for letting me know about DeCode... I had no clue about that place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Toronto local who is all-in on Myth (and MERCS!) from the beginning, I'll chime in too.

These days I mostly play X-wing at Dueling Grounds on Friday, but it would be really cool to do some Myth gaming with others in the GTA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at all of the GTA Myth players coming out of the woodwork!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivanatom the Humble
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mb
Wow!!! Did not expect such awesome response! Hope will call Mark today/tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Have fun guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Yee
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1000 Thanks to Josh for showing us newbs (meaning me) how to play Myth. I can't wait to get my grubby hands on it.

I am a full convert now and preparing my body for Myth!

Mark/Andy/Josh/and all, I hope to see you in the future for another round of gaming!

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivanatom the Humble
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mb
Well, first of all, I would like to say Thank you to all participants of Myth Event.

As mentioned by Robert, special thanks goes to Josh!!! The way how he explain rules and nuances of game is just amazing. It was extremely easy to fight our first battles in Myth world, and mainly due to Josh guide.

I am feel bad for stealing Acolyte, Mark - next time I can be an Archer. Sorry...

Game. Wow... Did not expect it to be THAT awesome! Lots of fun for sure! I love game mechanics. You do need to work as a team to achieve goal. Man, that feeling when you buff party is just... truly satisfying. Game makes you constantly think, even if your action is done, you still "in the game". No "down time" whatsoever, you keep on thinking how to help team next step. Even the fact, that there is no special order of who plays first, who is next brings many tactical opportunities. So - Myth is my game, LOVE IT!

One more time - thank you Josh, Mark, Robert for this wonderful gamenight!

P.S. Josh - your painted miniatures are truly gorgeous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you had fun! Perhaps my schedule will allow me to get in on the next game!

When you have time, you should give us a brief rundown on how your game went. Perhaps some highlights or really cool combos you pulled off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivanatom the Humble
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mb
Well, this was more like one time "lets try Myth" event. Even though I would like to transform it to something bigger, but it's up to other players.

For combos, as long as this was my first time playing, everything was "cool". We were able to get through one 6x6 tile (Don't remember quest name, but our goal was to retrieve merchant treasure), one 4x6 tile and 12x12 (quest with 4 torch lights, we succeeded on this one on our last turn). Josh place enough enemies to keep game competitive, but not overly difficult.

On a side note, I can't stress enough, how important to have experienced player for the fist (at least) few games. For example: I can't see any rule-specified instructions how to adjust to different party size and type. If you add to equation different monster types, their cons and pros...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
It was great to meet all of you, and we had a great adventure!

The Party:
Josh - Brigand
Andy - Acolyte
Robert - Soldier
Jason (another local we picked up) - Apprentice
Mark - Trickster (who arrived just after rules explanation, but he already knows the game, so it worked out perfectly).

We played a freeform Adventure, where I chose quests, minions, and traps specifically to introduce various mechanics slowly and steadily, with the intent to reward the party for playing various non-combat buffs.

Tile 1:
Starting with everybody around the campfire tile, I played another 6x6 and chose the Stolen Treasure quest. Three Grubbers were placed in a corner, and a hunting pack of six came in from the other side. Everybody was afraid of the nine enemies coming at us, until they realized that the Apprentice had Blood of Gaia, the Acolyte had Last Rites, and the Brigand did a Suicide Run. We finished off five grubbers before the first darkness cycle, and the Acolyte had Armor of Faith down (with 3 Faith), making all the initial grubber attacks TN10. Everybody got acquainted with the power level of the heroes after that, and we made quick work of the remaining enemies.

Talek Three Dunes showed up with Chainmail, a Mace, and a Wand. We decided to buy the Mace for the Soldier, and take the vitality potion too.

Tile 2:
We turned onto a 4x6 forest path. I chose to populate this one with a hutning pack of 8 shamblers and the Hurn's Pitfall trap. The Trickster finally got his parts together and made us a Hero Eject Launchy Pad so we catapulted toward the Shamblers. With buffs to non-combat actions provided by the Apprentice and Acolyte, everybody discarded a card to discover a pit trap and we successfully disarmed the tile for 2 Serendipity. With the pit trap taken care of, we quickly finished off the remaining shamblers and carried on.

Tile 3:
The forest path opened up onto the 12x12 cemetery tile, and I chose Light the Fires for our quest, with a shambler lair (8 starting shamblers). Robert asked about Marcus the Ready, and I said even though we only have 2 serendipity, we should fudge it and do the 3-Serendipity Call to Arms event to summon him, just so everybody could see how allies work. Enter Marcus the (un)Ready.

The Brigand quickly circled around behind the lair using a combination of Sprint and Shadows Reach, taking out a stray shambler along the way. The rest of the party advanced directly toward the lair, agreeing to thin the growing horde of shamblers before lighting all the fires (which will spawn more enemies). Marcus the slow-poke trudged along behind with his pitiful 2 movement.

As we approached the lair, we encountered a Deadly Spawn of 2 Soulless. The Brigand hit the lair with Shadows Reach, the Acolyte added a Last Rights, and the Soldier did Harvest of Bones with his Mace (getting the Fate recipe) to finish the lair and lay into one of the Soulless captains. With the lair crushed and about 6 shambers left, we only had 2 darkness cycles left to finish the quest. Some of the torches were pretty far away from us at this point, and we were nervous about having enough time to get to them, nevermind performing TN6 courage tests to light them. Marcus continued to trudge forward and pick off a couple shamblers.

With time running out, the Soldier did a cool combo with The Easy Way (searching for Hustle), to get in position and roll bonus d10s on his courage test. The Trickster made quick work of his torch using the buff from Scounge Parts. The Brigand did Shadows Reach to get adjacent to a Soulless who was sitting on top of one of the torches, finish him off, then stroll over to light it. Finally, the Apprentice used Blink to get in position and the Acolyte sprinted with Intercession to provide bonus d10s to the Apprentice's courage test. It was a solid bit of teamwork!

With the quest completed in the nick of time, and the night getting late, we agreed the remaining soulless and four shamblers were simply an off-screen mop-up operation that could be left to Marcus and concluded the adventure.

Thanks for an awesome adventure guys! I would love to play Myth with you again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's ironic to me that this free form questing (which was supposedly the original intent of the game) is the one mode in which you can't "advance" in terms of deck manipulation or titles.

Of course you can do whatever deck manipulation you want or use any equipment you want any time you want (it's your game and such decisions are even encouraged) BUT still, this idea of progression is ingrained right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is true that I would have thought that at the end of some of the chain quests, you would be given the oportunity to modify your deck. In fact, at the end of one of the quest chains you get to fight a boss. Too bad you don't earn a title if you win. As stated above, you can easily change this yourself. It does seem to suggest that the new Module format they are preparing will be the way to go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
It is true that I would have thought that at the end of some of the chain quests, you would be given the oportunity to modify your deck. In fact, at the end of one of the quest chains you get to fight a boss. Too bad you don't earn a title if you win. As stated above, you can easily change this yourself. It does seem to suggest that the new Module format they are preparing will be the way to go...

Page 29 of the new 2.0 Rules, Brian

You now get all sorts of goodies for defeating a Boss. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivanatom the Humble
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mb
Interesting. So let's say you in mid of campaign, and have earned one of titles, can you venture on "side quest" "free fight" or I don't know how to properly describe it, and keep "title" items? If yes, then system is OK from my noobish point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ivanatom wrote:
Interesting. So let's say you in mid of campaign, and have earned one of titles, can you venture on "side quest" "free fight" or I don't know how to properly describe it, and keep "title" items? If yes, then system is OK from my noobish point of view.

Well, there is no campaign in Myth. You either go on a series of "Adventures" or do a "Story" (Myth 1.0) or "Module" (Myth 2.0).

Once you earn a title, regardless of where, you can start to keep items.

Here's the larger section of the rules (Page 29) describing what you're after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
It's ironic to me that this free form questing (which was supposedly the original intent of the game) is the one mode in which you can't "advance" in terms of deck manipulation or titles.

Of course you can do whatever deck manipulation you want or use any equipment you want any time you want (it's your game and such decisions are even encouraged) BUT still, this idea of progression is ingrained right?

The original mode of gaining titles and deck manipulations was completing story quests, but those are not really in place with Myth 2.0. From reading the 2.0 manual, it seems that the plan for gaining cards/deck manipulations in free-form advancement is to beat Agents (as before) and also Bosses.

How to fight bosses? Succeeding at the chain quest starter "To Cut Off the Head" leads to "On Darkened Heels", which can lead to "Darkness Tested" if you win. "Darkness Tested" is a quest that lets you drop a boss in free-form adventuring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.