Subject: [Spoilers] How could anybody be surprised by the endgame? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
By that I mean final scoring.

Being punished for leaving military bases, being punished for not completing the searches.

My group had never played Pandemic before, but are used to co-op play where you are scored at the end based upon what you did and DID NOT do.

I'm also used to RPGs where duh, you always do side quests!

When we had a side objective of destroy military bases, or search for something, we made it our priority to complete those immediately, willing to lose the first try at the month if that is what it took.

It is interesting to me that those who looked for the most efficient short term path to victory were punished via scoring instead of those who actually got into the theme and story.

Our final score, 870.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair there are people who don't like the scoring mainly because it seems like the most artificial part of the game or feels anticlimactic. Personally to me the score at the end is basically meaningless, all that really matters is if you had fun playing the campaign and if you managed to beat December in the end. The score is just for bragging rights if you want to compare how well you did to someone else, it's totally optional in a fully cooperative game since you're not actually competing for score against anyone else.

So yeah, "getting into the theme" has virtually nothing to do with the score at the end. There's plenty of people who got into the theme and loved the game but who didn't give a fig about the score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be duly impressed if you also predicted:

- That the first three searches could be left to later months
- That there's no score penalty for nuking a city (beyond the consequences of having a Fallen city on the board)
- That there are no score penalties for Scars or Lost characters
- That there is a score penalty for opening Package 8
- That panic levels and game losses cost you points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
The score penalty for opening Package 8, for panic levels, and for game losses are hardly unexpected, surely?

The rest surprised me at least a bit, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
We intuited that a city going to pot was surely not going to be good, and having to open box 8 indicates a failure of pursuing the campaign goal.

For us, it was of supreme importance to pursue the goals, that advanced the plot/cure for c0da. Priority was always to succeed in the search on the first attempt of a month at all costs.

I just found it weird that a larger amount of groups than I would of guessed decided a strat of winning each month at all costs was better for the campaign victory and overall plot than bothering to actually cure c0da.

We definitely got lucky in card draws in that the very city we were searching always came up.

We also had binoculars show up in December, it was the last card played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
The score penalty for opening Package 8, for panic levels, and for game losses are hardly unexpected, surely?

I was definitely surprised there is no penalty for nuking a city. I was fully expecting to get dinged for nuking Tehran but the only penalty was one to five points because it set the city to level 5. (I think it was already level 4 when we nuked it so in fact we probably suffered no penalty at all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
dugman wrote:
clivej wrote:

I was definitely surprised there is no penalty for nuking a city. I was fully expecting to get dinged for nuking Tehran but the only penalty was one to five points because it set the city to level 5. (I think it was already level 4 when we nuked it so in fact we probably suffered no penalty at all.)

Yeah you're right didn't mention that one. We stayed clear of that one, I figured there would be hell to pay for doing that. Wasn't, except for the city scoring which didn't care why the city was wrecked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spotH3D wrote:
I just found it weird that a larger amount of groups than I would of guessed decided a strat of winning each month at all costs was better for the campaign victory and overall plot than bothering to actually cure c0da.

They're not entirely wrong - given the choice between winning, say, August, and losing but completing the Search, you get a higher score by winning the game and completing an additional Search in a later month than by losing the current game - it's only if you don't finish all available Searches in October that it costs you points.

There have also been reports of players being faced with the choice between winning October without finding Patient Zero, or trying the Search again in a second attempt at October, rather than being able to complete the Search that game. In that scenario, October is the only time it's better to deliberately lose the game than to win and have an extra Search to tackle in the following month, and it's only if you expect completing the 4th Search to unlock something beneficial in Package 7 that you might think it's a priority to have whatever it is available for as many games as possible - after Package 6, it's not unreasonable to be wary of the unknown consequences...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Smith
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The October search was a kick in the teeth for my group. In all the other searches, you could carry it over into the next month. October was the only search you couldn't. So we 'won' October first time round thinking we were in a comfortable situation to complete the search in November.

So, yeah, team bravo actually really annoyed us.

In my opinion the October search should have been a mandatory objective.

As it was we finished november with every coda city already vaccinated and every military base already destroyed. December was a walk in the park.

Yet, despite all that, we were suddenly faced with this incredibly non-thematic scoring system that totally destroyed the amazing feel-good factor we had just moments before. Really sucked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
spotH3D wrote:

My group had never played Pandemic before, but are used to co-op play where you are scored at the end based upon what you did and DID NOT do.

My group is used to co-op games where you have a binary win/lose condition, which I'd actually wager are in the majority, and of course includes Pandemic.

So the scoring was a little surprising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
My group prioritized getting each month over as quickly as possible because we were just in it for the plot. We stopped playing after September when we realized the plot was super bad. Our final score was infinity I guess..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vreeland
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were focused on the narrative arc and were doing our best to follow our mission. Our quarantine expert unfortunately took the germaphobe scar the month before we were told to start tearing down the military bases so we did that slowly since they were incredibly useful to that character. As such, we had two military bases on the board at the end of December and finished with a second place score because of it. The campaign was phenomenal but the ending was a little lack luster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.