Subject: Evolution quesiton rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Trying to find out if Evolution is for me and if so which version to purchase.

I played a long time ago the original card game Evolution: The Origin of Species. I thought it was okay, but it did feel a little random.

Has the game changed that much from the original?

Which version would you recommend? Evolution: The Beginning? Evolution? Evolution with the flight expansion? Climate?

Where do you begin with Evolution?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the game is still the same, it is random with which cards you draw, but no more random than any other similar style card game.

After you play it a few times, you start to see the strategy and see that there are things you can do to fight the random things that happen.

Flight just adds new types of animals and a new mechanism, but I wasn't a huge fan. To me it felt tacked on.

Climate, however, adds a great new weather/climate system, now you're not just fighting to survive hunger and the other players, but the weather too. I haven't played it yet but have it on pre-order and saw it at Gencon, looks great.

The Beginning is, I think, just a trimmed down version of Evolution.

If I were you, and you wanted to give it another go, I would go for Evolution Climate. It includes the original Evo game with the added climate stuff.

People who own the original Evolution can just buy a conversion kit.

Lastly, be aware...the flight expansion is NOT compatible with Climate, so you either play Basic Evo, Evo with flight added, OR Climate (which also includes everything from basic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith romstad
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I began with Evolution and Evolution Flight. 2 plays later I kickstarted climate and am anxiously waiting for it. I haven't played the stripped down versions as of yet but wouldn't turn them down. The game has it's random elements for sure but the beautiful thing is that if anyone gets ahead through randomness the game is self balanced through lack of food for predators from over-hunting, evolution of species and other players working together against the leader... I find it quite elegant and have never found it to be overly random.

Flight simply adds more ways to evolve your species and easier way to feed your species as long as not too many other people go for it as well. Once you go flight you never go back... unless teaching the game for newbs.

I think the climate expansion will be good for two player games because of the climate almost acting like another player messing with you keeping everyone in check. And jeesh the art alone is a reason get the big box versions of the game... seriously the watercolor art is phenomenal... if you're into that type of thing that is.

Anyways I highly recommend it from the entry level Evolution and go from there. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game, but I've come to the conclusion that the version I'm going to get is Evolution: CLIMATE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Justice
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I am the great Cornholio!
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that Evolution: The Origin of Species and Evolution are two entirely different games, mechanisms and otherwise.

I'd start with the base game Evolution, the theme and mechanics synergize as well as any game I've played... I absolutely love it.

If you end up liking Evolution itself, then you would add either of the different expansions (Flight or Climate) but not both at the same time. However, I don't think Climate has even been released yet, at least, I haven't gotten my kickstarter version yet, for whatever that's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution has been a big hit with all of my gaming groups. I'd start with just the base game, and if you like it enough, get either of the expansions, whichever seems more compelling. (You should be able to get quite a few plays out of the base game before you feel that either expansion is needed for variety.)

The guides that come with the game make it easy for beginners to see what cards are in the deck, and the text on the cards is very clear about what each card can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
A big dud here. If you like the theme idea, I would go for Eklund's Bios: Megafauna, American Megafauna, or perhaps the new Bios: Genesis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest starting out with Evolution: Climate, as it will *probably* be the best game of all the series (so far) and for a simple reason: it is a standalone expansion that is easy to get into because it is kind of modular (even though I don't know if it was on purpose or not, as I have never heard someone from NSG talk about this). And becasue of this, it's the one that the difficulty level (if I may speak like this) can be adjusted easily as you progress like this:

So you can play your first game or two using just the base game as all the 2nd edition trait cards are included in Climate (just remove climate-related traits and forget climate icon on trait cards and on the watering hole / climate track). This way you'll get the feel of Evolution base game (intecractions between traits, strategies, etc.).

Then, add in the climate traits and play the normal game, with the climate track, but without the events (which can change a lot the gamelay and the strategy and these changes can happen fast). Play this way again for a game or two, to let you time to get accustomed to the different climate cards and abilities.

Finally, introduce the events cards and play the full games of Evolution: Climate. And if you can get a KS copies somewhere (or if you can get yourself the Scenario cards from NSG), you can after having played the game a lot, add these to add some twist to the game play as scenario usually change a rule or two and spice things up and give really great replayability (ans you can also make yourself some scenario too if you wish , as this game is a great one for variants using the scenario concept).

So this is how I see it and that's the way I'll use to introduce newbies to Evolution: Climate. Also, if you don't like sorting cards and all that, you can get a deck of just the 2nd Edition traits cards on NSG website, and this way you really get a two in one game. That's what I did.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the great suggestions. Sounds like I should wait for Climate to be published. Maybe get the Target version to play with the kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
Thank you all for the great suggestions. Sounds like I should wait for Climate to be published. Maybe get the Target version to play with the kids.

Evolution: The Beginning is a great game with more than enough depth for gamers, especially as a 2-player game. It was not designed for Target or for to play with kids. It was simply designed to be more intuitive to learn and more forgiving of rookie mistakes (which is what turns off new players). You should try it before dismissing it as a kids game. We play it in the office everyday at lunch. It's a more casual experience, but it's intellectually engaging, fast paced, and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the new Evolution: Climate has all of the cards and components to play the Evolution base game. You would just ignore some of the symbols on the cards (please correct me if this is wrong!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.