$35.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discussing specifics of negotiation before cards have been revealed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Plank
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before revealing encounter cards, are players allowed to a) declare that they are intending to negotiate and b) say something along the lines of "a colony for a colony?" to indicate what kind of deal they're looking for?

I think that a) is ok, but I would think b) would be not ok because it tries to get around the rule where there's a one minute time limit for negotiations. I would think that any specifics of what would be exchanged should only be done after the negotiate cards are revealed. But, the question came up and I'm curious if this is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can say anything you want before planning, but it's not binding. Pre-negotiate at your own risk. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's never played this way, but technically the FFG rules state that negotiation only occurs after both players play a Negotiate card and then only for one minute. And honestly, any trades that aren't intentionally being tanked should easily be accomplished in that time.

As with Monopoly, I would highly recommend playing in accordance with the printed rules. It makes the game more surprising, more challenging, more dynamic, and faster. It feels more like a poker game. The brilliance of the core game design, often lost in a morass of treaty negotiation, comes much more to the fore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no rules violation in talking about anything you want to talk about at any time, including how you might make a deal before cards are played or revealed, or even before the encounter starts, or even three encounters in advance. Of course, all this talk has no bearing on what deal actually gets made, and is, as some would say, just so much chin music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. Talk about the deal beforehand, gets all the details settled, and then play an attack card. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, allowed. One of my all time favorite moves is lulling people into playing a Negotiate card by promising them the Moon and then turning into a hardass once the cards are actually flipped.

Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Pre-negotiate at your own risk. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
It's allowed, but if the negotiations go beyond something as basic as "colony for colony", it should probably be saved for after the negotiates have been played and the clock starts ticking. There's no formal rule against it, but conducting extensive negotiations before the negotiates have been revealed violates the spirit of the timer. "Colony for colony?" is certainly within acceptable bounds though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abdiel wrote:
I know it's never played this way, but technically the FFG rules state that negotiation only occurs after both players play a Negotiate card and then only for one minute.

You're reading way too much into that part of the rules. Nowhere does it state that players can talk about this only after negotiate cards are revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberta brings up a good point - talk all you want, whenever you want, but don't delay the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Roberta brings up a good point - talk all you want, whenever you want, but don't delay the game.

It could be said that talking one's opponent into a bad deal is the game. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most experienced players will know better than to waste time talking about a deal before two N's are revealed. Both players know that none of this talk is binding, and that they're likely being set up for a trick, so neither is going to fall for it. So why waste each other's time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
CyberGarp wrote:
It could be said that talking one's opponent into a bad deal is the game. whistle

It could be said that choosing the correct encounter card is the game too, but if you spend ten minutes in the Alliance phase trying to guess what your opponent will play and how you should respond, you're holding things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.