Popular Tags: [View All]
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rules, p.7 wrote:
A space is considered to be a safe space if [...] it does not contain a [...] Borg Cube figure.
I am assuming that "Borg Cube figure" refers to defeated or undefeated, since the rules do not state anywhere that the Borg cube figure is removed when defeated. (do they?). But, the rules also state:

rules, p.7 wrote:
A space is considered to be a safe space if [...] it does not contain another player's ship, except for locations that allow additional ships (Wormhole, destroyed Borg Tactical Cube).

Ok, so does this imply that destroyed Borg Cube figures are actually safe spaces? (Or does the word "tactical" refer to something other than a normal destroyed borg cube figure?)

The only way I can reconcile these is if the borg cube figure is removed when destroyed, but this is not specified anywhere in the rules (is it?), and thematically it makes sense for it to stay even when destroyed (and it looks nice on the board!)

The idea that destroyed borg cubes are safe spaces is also weird because normally I thought of safe spaces as ones from which there are no forced withdrawals and from which you can always safely assault an adjacent space. However, the rules are clear that assaults are not allowed from a destroyed borg space and there is a forced withdrawal from a destroyed borg space when provoking an enemy ship!

So now basically nothing makes sense anymore . Let's start from the beginning:

1. Are Borg cube miniatures removed from the board when defeated?
2. Are defeated borg cubes and wormholes safe spaces?
3. Can a player always assault or interact an adjacent space from a safe space? Or does being a "safe space" mean nothing about whether you can assault or interact from it?
4. Can a player interact (e.g. with a planet) from a destroyed borg space?

And a few unrelated questions:

Research Action Card wrote:
[...] When you play this, play another Action Card with it. Gain the stronger effect of that card for free. If that effect gains you [...] any type of Attack, gain that amount +2
Are long-range attacks considered a "type of Attack"? Also, does the "+2" mean "add +2 normal (phaser) attacks to whatever attack you already are doing", or does it mean "add +2 special attacks of the same type as what you are doing".

Insight Action Card wrote:
[...]Take 1 Data Die from the Core and set it to any color except White. Gain 2 Data Tokens of that color. Do not re-roll this die when you return it to the Core.

Can this die be used as a data token also, just like a die that is taken normally from the core (so that the card in effect grants you 3 data tokens of the same color)? Or does this die considered used up as part of payment for the 2 data tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a crack at these:

1. The rules do not specify that the Cube is removed, but it IS a safe space. (I simply remove the cube as a reminder.) You can interact on the space, per the rules, and if you are on it or adjacent to it, you get a hand bonus.

2. Defeated Borg Cubes are safe spaces, but you may not attack from them nor be attacked while on them. The wormhole is also a safe space.

3. You can usually attack/assault from a safe space, except from a destroyed Borg Cube.

4. I know of no rule that would prevent interaction with a planet from a destroyed Borg Cube. Seems fine to me.

5. Yes, long-range attacks are a "type of attack", and you get the bonus to it with that card.

6. No, you cannot use the die also. It is used up in creating the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance Kickstarter - February 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert is correct on all counts. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! A few more questions --

7. Is experience capped at 119 points?

8. In space battles, you shield and assign damage for each enemy ship separately. However, in away missions, you total the damage from enemy tokens and resolve damage as if there was one token delivering it. Is this correct? (So that, hypothetically speaking, if you had 10 space tokens with 1 unshielded point of attack each, then you would receive 10 damage cards, even if your captain defense was 10. But, the same situation during an away mission will wound only one crew member or captain (assuming all had defense >10). [Edit -- it looks like the assign damage phase is symmetric between space and away missions, i.e. in multi-token damage, the total damage is assigned in aggregate, not individually.]

Why this asymmetry between space and away team battles?

9. Does the term "damage" refer to the number of damage cards, or number of unshielded attack points? For example, antimatter weapon doubles "damage". So, if there is 1 unshielded attack point from the antimatter weapon, and the defense is 3, do you get 1 damage card or 2?

(By the way, the antimatter weapon actually doubles "undeflected damage", but I am assuming the word "undefelcted" is redundant because there is no such thing as "deflected damage", correct?)

10. The "seasoned away team" action card increases the diplomacy or attack of crew by 2. Are all crew assumed to have 0 diplomacy and attack by default, unless otherwise specified? Or can this card only be used on crew members who actually have a stated positive value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
7. Unable to find this in the rules, but I'm pretty certain that 119 is not a limit. You just put the marker on "0" when you gain more experience and add 119 to your total at the end.

8. Your question is a design question, and I'm not the designer. But it seems to me that the space battle simulates a series of volleys from multiple ships. If your shields are weak, each volley will damage the ship. On the away team mission, it's more episodic: some dramatic encounter occurs, and the entire away team is involved in some violence all at once.

9. Whatever attack points remain AFTER your shields, you double that number if the enemy has antimatter weapons, and then apply the product against your defense to determine the number of damage cards you take. For example, the enemy attacks with 4 points of phasers with antimatter. You play 2 shields. The result is 2 remaining points of attack times 2 = 4 damage. Your level counter specifies that your defense is 3. So you take 1 damage card and reduce the 4 damage points by the defense of 3, leaving 1 more damage point. So you take a second damage card, and now the remaining damage is 0. You're done. There is no such thing as deflected damage.

10. I play this as meaning that IF a crew card already has an attack or diplomacy ability, then "seasoned" increases those abilities. If the crew card does NOT have an ability, then it does not increase. In other words, you don't count crew cards as having "0".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance Kickstarter - February 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert is correct again, and his thematic interpretation of the difference between space battles and away missions is excellent. Some bag for you for taking so much time out to help other players.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Andrew! I love the game and am happy to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.