Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Structure of the campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicolas Renier
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm super excited too about this game. I like LoTR, but the deck building there was too involved and heavy for me, so I'm hoping for something lighter with the limited classes, and the possibility of taking the same deck through a whole campaign with just a few upgrades between each scenario.

Which brings me to this: will the campaign scenarios be only present in the core set and deluxe expansions, or will we have like LoTR a set of scenarios self contained in the core set, and then another story spread over the mythos packs? Or the mythos packs will only bring new investigator cards?

The reason I'm asking is I've seen references to a campaign book, which tells the outcome of the chapter depending on how the team performs. But this format of story telling is not compatible with a story spread over small pack extensions, unless the campaign book in the core set already contains the story for the whole upcoming cycle?

Or I am missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm hoping that they continue the campaign throughout the Mythos Packs. I think it would be easy enough to include a pice of paper like they do in the LotR Adventure Packs and they can explain the outcomes in that page. I also like the idea of not having to do much deck building. I don't want to have to buy multiple copies of certain sets to aquire the "perfect build"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Seu L'eaux
United States
California
flag msg tools
They'll just put in an insert like they do for the current LotR packs. Lord of the rings has a campaign style storyline right now in the non-saga adventures with the "intro" story, then the rules that apply to that adventure, followed by a story you read when you complete the adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Renier
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jawby wrote:
I think it would be easy enough to include a pice of paper like they do in the LotR Adventure Packs and they can explain the outcomes in that page.

Agreed! I also hope they go for a campaign spread over a full cycle of releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah some of the LOTR packs have quite significant amounts of story text on the insert. Could easily see that carrying over to AH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very intrigued by that Campaign book that seems to come with the game. As far as I know that did not exist in LotR LCG, so it might mean we are in for some good surprises, having more intrincated campaign rules in this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
mbmbmbmbmb
Will heroes be able to replay adventures?
In the unlikely event that you complete all three scenarios in a row are you then done?
Wonder what the replayability will be like.
Day one buy for me in any case. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What we know so far...

"The basic mode of play is not the adventure, after all, but the campaign. And all your choices and actions have consequences that reach far beyond the immediate resolution of the scenario at hand."

"Their efforts determine not only the course of your game, but carry forward throughout whole campaigns, challenging them to overcome their personal demons even as Arkham Horror: The Card Game blurs the distinction between the card game and roleplaying experiences."

The Campaign Log for "Night of the Zealot" has columns for each investigator with entries for: "Unspent Experience", "Tauma" (Physical and Mental), and "Earned Story Assets/Weaknesses".

"The Core Set comes with three adventures that link together in the Night of the Zealot campaign. Your successes or failures in the first of these adventures, The Gathering, will determine not only how you'll set up the future adventures, but they'll determine how much experience you'll be able to spend upgrading your deck."

"Many of the cards in Arkham LCG feature one to five pips near their costs that indicate their "level." While you won't start your campaign with these cards, you can spend experience to buy them and upgrade your deck between adventures, replacing other cards and "leveling-up" your investigator. This ability to advance your character throughout a campaign is yet another way that Arkham Horror: The Card Game opens a portal between the realms of card gaming and roleplay."

[I just realized that the above says we don't start with any 1-5 level cards, only 0 level, which will further limit deck building]

"The game's adventures are designed as parts of larger campaigns, and the choices that you make in one adventure will have consequences later on in your campaign. You may suffer mental or physical trauma. Your enemies may gain strength. Or you may reduce their number, recruit valuable allies, and gain valuable experience with which you can "level up" your deck."

"It continues with each Mythos Pack and Deluxe Expansion and the new campaigns they introduce. It continues with their adventures and player cards, and you may even run across new investigators along the way."

[As to replay ability, with different investigators and apparently a large number of potential outcomes (maybe some locations not revealed, some enemies not found, allies not gained, Agenda or Act not advanced, and with each adventure affecting the next) it seems to me to have a large amount of potential for very different play experiences every time!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For replayability, you can play different investigators. You can play different decks. The quest can turn out different due to random draws from the deck and random draws from the bag. You can make different decisions. You can try again and go for collecting more XP at the expense of additional risk. You can play it again at a different difficulty level.

There should be a lot you can do, and every time a new investigator comes out all your old quests have a new option to be replayed with them. As the card pool grows, you can replay quests with new decks that were not possible before.

Replaying the campaign as a whole, you can also make different upgrade choices with your XP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Newman
msg tools
Agreed LOTR deck construction was too much for me. Got to try with a friend who did busy some of the earlier packs. So I'm hoping after the initial deck construction its just a few upgrades along the way. If it is, then this is a LCG I would seriously be prepared to invest time into.

I think I campaign will constitute three scenarios in their big box expansions and the six scenarios in each of the 6-deck Cycles.

Which I think would be great. Gives a sense of progression over either 3 or 6 scenarios, but resets characters for each new campaign. Means there is no long term scaling issue. Important since they will put in new Investigators into new box sets and you need to be able to use them with any campaign they put out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the adventures are not simply a random set of encounters, but more story driven that make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkmoonrising wrote:
Which I think would be great. Gives a sense of progression over either 3 or 6 scenarios, but resets characters for each new campaign. Means there is no long term scaling issue. Important since they will put in new Investigators into new box sets and you need to be able to use them with any campaign they put out.

I think you pointed out something very valuable here. The short term nature of the campaign is going to make for incredible replayability. I can play through the whole campaign with one character which is only going to be a handful of games. Then I can play through with another character. And another. And since there aren't that many games per campaign it isn't such a daunting task.

Compared to something like Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, which has 33 or so adventures per campaign. After one playthrough of that I was done, and never felt like going back and playing through with different characters.

This is very much a case of "less is more" I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everybody. I'm kinda dense on deckbuilding and have no experience with LCGs. My question is with the expansion packs. Do the new cards traditionally get combined in with the base set cards or do they remain separate to the "chapters of the story/adventure" that the expansion packs put forth? So for example, when I store after obtaining a few card packs, will I be storing a bunch of cards all mixed together or will I be storing them separated based on the card "cycles" (is that what you call them??).

This might be my first LCG. Was interested in Call of Cthulhu LCG years ago but decided to forgo it (shied away from the deckbuilding and the never ending packs). Been waiting for a card game that provides the experience of story and this looks to provide it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
super_d wrote:
Hey everybody. I'm kinda dense on deckbuilding and have no experience with LCGs. My question is with the expansion packs. Do the new cards traditionally get combined in with the base set cards or do they remain separate to the "chapters of the story/adventure" that the expansion packs put forth? So for example, when I store after obtaining a few card packs, will I be storing a bunch of cards all mixed together or will I be storing them separated based on the card "cycles" (is that what you call them??).

This might be my first LCG. Was interested in Call of Cthulhu LCG years ago but decided to forgo it (shied away from the deckbuilding and the never ending packs). Been waiting for a card game that provides the experience of story and this looks to provide it.

You'll be able to store them all together. When new cards come out they aren't meant to only be played in a specific scenario. You can use them in any deck to play against any adventure. They are simply there to give you more options. In fact that is one of the things that make games like this so fun. You can go back and play old scenarios with new cards and see how differently things turn out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
In LotR, all player cards are available for deck construction. The encounter deck (which the players are fighting against) is built according to the rules of the scenario using specific encounter cards released that cycle (ie a set of cards unique to that scenario, plus some "encounter sets" that were in the most recent deluxe expansion).

Basically, the "enemy" you're fighting against remains the same no matter how many expansions you have, but your own deck can include any cards you want. Some people play "progression" games, where you can only use cards that were available when that scenario was released, but that's just an extra challenge.

(Note that the competitive LCGs apparently work differently, using some sort of planned obsolescence model where older cards are eventually phased out. That's unlikely to apply to a cooperative game, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally all the player cards just go into one pool. There's no reason to store them separately unless you feel like it. For deck building, it's a lot easier to keep them together. Some people really like to play in a progression style where for each quest they only use the cards that were out at that time - if that's your thing then you would maybe store them separately but that's sort of a corner case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Thanks for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.