Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it properly adds a wall over doors that don't exist in the scenario...sometimes it doesn't.

Seems (after hearing about more serious bugs) that the app really wasn't ready for release.

Here we see two doors that shouldn't be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I really like this game, but I will only be playing it solo. I don't want the off chance of spending 85 minutes playing with my group only to have the app crash and kill the game right at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
This isn't a bug. When you play you'll notice that usually the monsters spawn on the map on those spaces with doors leading off the map. That's by design. Story-wise they are emerging from other parts of the house. Think of those doors as leading to parts of the house you don't need to investigate. They had them in 1st edition too. Doors on the edge of the map don't need to be closed off necessarily. It's part of the design style for MoM maps.

Bear in mind it would take a pretty weird bug to miss off doors or closed-off doors as these maps are NOT procedurally generated, despite what the publicity says, they are pre-built - human designed just as if they'd been printed in a scenario book rather than in digital form.

Much worse than this, and also not a bug but a little unsatisfactory is there is one map where a corridor just ends with no closing wall. Of course, we assume there is a wall because there are no further map pieces but that wouldn't have passed in a 1st edition map. All of the hallways there were fully enclosed by walls. It's a sloppy bit of design.

I agree though with the impression that the game was rushed out a little: the miniatures show it as much as the app and the fact the game, whilst I'm enjoying it, falls a little short of the hype regarding the variability the app provides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No bug here. 'this is working as intended.

This is the side-entrance that Eugene mentions and through which additional monsters will enter the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
This isn't a bug. When you play you'll notice that usually the monsters spawn on the map on those spaces with doors leading off the map. That's by design. Story-wise they are emerging from other parts of the house. Think of those doors as leading to parts of the house you don't need to investigate. They had them in 1st edition too. Doors on the edge of the map don't need to be closed off necessarily. It's part of the design style for MoM maps.

Bear in mind it would take a pretty weird bug to miss off doors or closed-off doors as these maps are NOT procedurally generated, despite what the publicity says, they are pre-built - human designed just as if they'd been printed in a scenario book rather than in digital form.

Much worse than this, and also not a bug but a little unsatisfactory is there is one map where a corridor just ends with no closing wall. Of course, we assume there is a wall because there are no further map pieces but that wouldn't have passed in a 1st edition map. All of the hallways there were fully enclosed by walls. It's a sloppy bit of design.

I agree though with the impression that the game was rushed out a little: the miniatures show it as much as the app and the fact the game, whilst I'm enjoying it, falls a little short of the hype regarding the variability the app provides.

It isn't "sloppy design". Doorways and paths that touch the edge of the map do not have walls placed on them just to save on setup time and to save on the number of wall tokens needed (you would need about 3 times as many included in the game if you wanted to cover all the doors around the edge of the map). It is presumed that a wall surrounds the edge of the map (if there is no Explore token to take you any further), or that those doors lead to places that are not of interest.

Even 1st Ed often had doors that led to nowhere. It is neither a bug in the app nor a bug in the design of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the apologies for the ghost doors above strike me as unsatisfactory, particularly since one of the stated goals was to increase the narrative nature of the game.

Doors that aren't doors aren't taking us in that direction. Why even have the wall tokens at all?

This may have been better accepted (but not by me) in first edition when the full map started on the table but it seems wrong here when we don't even know where the map ends. How many tokens it would take to fix this is immaterial.

So yes, I realize that it may work for some folks but it seems misguided to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems fine to me.

A lot of first person video games in indoor settings include doors that you cannot open, as part of the level design. Suppose that behind the door is just a small closet or other nook. Taking the door out makes the building feel less real - of course there are doors that don't have anything interesting behind them! But putting a room on the other side just to make the house "complete" would be annoying waste of space if you don't actually use it for any gameplay.

My understanding is that the blocked door token is to be used to avoid confusion when a door on a tile lines up with another tile but they aren't intended to be connected. In that case you used the blocked door so that the players don't mistakenly treat them as connected. In the case of doors at the edge, they clearly don't connect to anything. But if you are confused, you can just out a blocked token on it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

It isn't "sloppy design". Doorways and paths that touch the edge of the map do not have walls placed on them just to save on setup time and to save on the number of wall tokens needed (you would need about 3 times as many included in the game if you wanted to cover all the doors around the edge of the map). It is presumed that a wall surrounds the edge of the map (if there is no Explore token to take you any further), or that those doors lead to places that are not of interest.

Even 1st Ed often had doors that led to nowhere. It is neither a bug in the app nor a bug in the design of the game.

Read my comments more carefully. The 'sloppy design' comment was intended only for the wall issue I mentioned, not the doors, which are fine. I did say that yes, we assume the wall is enclosed but IMO that is not very satisfactory: the whole mansion should be enclosed with visual walls. It's a very minor thing but easy to do.

lancemoody wrote:
All of the apologies for the ghost doors above strike me as unsatisfactory, particularly since one of the stated goals was to increase the narrative nature of the game.

Doors that aren't doors aren't taking us in that direction. Why even have the wall tokens at all?

This may have been better accepted (but not by me) in first edition when the full map started on the table but it seems wrong here when we don't even know where the map ends. How many tokens it would take to fix this is immaterial.

So yes, I realize that it may work for some folks but it seems misguided to me.

I think it's quite clear that the map we explore isn't supposed to represent the entire house. I mean, think about it:

Only 2 of the possible configurations has a bathroom

There is only 1 bedroom - so one assumes that before the death of William's mother they had a bunk bed He couldn't even sleep on the sofa as only 1 of the possible configurations has a lounge.

The door blocker tokens are intended only to eliminate doors when they would join two rooms the designer doesn't want joined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to say that I appreciate the comments above and, while I don't agree, I get the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.