Hide
3 Posts

Thunderstone Advance: Root of Corruption» Forums » Rules

Subject: Circle of Protection with Thrall Summoners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ross
msg tools
We played a game the other day in which one of our players very successfully ran Circles of Protection together with Harruli heroes (he gained extra attack from each Circle of Protection he had out). But we ran into a question with the Thrall Summoners.

The Thrall monsters have an aftermath effect on them which boils down to "if you defeat this monster take it and the summoner." We were trying to determine whether the Circle of Protection would cancel this effect.

We came to the conclusion that the aftermath effect was just there to describe a mechanic that couldn't be easily described otherwise, and so his Circles of Protection did not trigger. The alternative seemed to be that he would fight and kill the monster, but the summoner would remain in the hall as the aftermath ability wouldn't occur. Then the Thrall deck could run out before the summoners were gone. Looking back, it's also possible that he would have taken the summoned monster, but the summoner would be removed from the game, since the text on the summoner says that you swap him with the monster he summons.

What is the right way to have played this? Personally I would have loved for a few of his Circles of Protection to be destroyed, since he got way too many of them for our own good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroConsequence wrote:
We played a game the other day in which one of our players very successfully ran Circles of Protection together with Harruli heroes (he gained extra attack from each Circle of Protection he had out). But we ran into a question with the Thrall Summoners.

The Thrall monsters have an aftermath effect on them which boils down to "if you defeat this monster take it and the summoner." We were trying to determine whether the Circle of Protection would cancel this effect.

We came to the conclusion that the aftermath effect was just there to describe a mechanic that couldn't be easily described otherwise, and so his Circles of Protection did not trigger. The alternative seemed to be that he would fight and kill the monster, but the summoner would remain in the hall as the aftermath ability wouldn't occur. Then the Thrall deck could run out before the summoners were gone. Looking back, it's also possible that he would have taken the summoned monster, but the summoner would be removed from the game, since the text on the summoner says that you swap him with the monster he summons.

What is the right way to have played this? Personally I would have loved for a few of his Circles of Protection to be destroyed, since he got way too many of them for our own good.

I would say the effect on Circle of Protection is not optional. So you toss it, and leave the Thrall Summoner where it is in the dungeon. I believe there are two more thralls (12) than there are Thrall Summoners (10), so that does give you a little wiggle room before you run out of Thralls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
rogue148 wrote:
I would say the effect on Circle of Protection is not optional. So you toss it, and leave the Thrall Summoner where it is in the dungeon. I believe there are two more thralls (12) than there are Thrall Summoners (10), so that does give you a little wiggle room before you run out of Thralls.

I agree that it's not optional, and so we would leave the Thrall Summoner where he is. However, the wording on the thrall suggests that the Thrall Summoner is no longer in the dungeon (else he wouldn't need to be returned to the dungeon after a failed combat). So I'd say that places him in limbo, outside the dungeon.

In terms of running out of thralls, that's a valid scenario even without Circle of Protection, since there is no rule on the thralls to exempt them from retreating to the bottom of the dungeon deck after a failed combat. So if players continually lose to the same thrall summoner, that one summoner will summon thralls from the thrall deck, who will then retreat to the bottom of the dungeon. Eventually a thrall summoner could be in the dungeon even with no thralls remaining in the deck, in which case he becomes an undesirable target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.