Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleric Beast boss states, "Hunters cannot prevent damage with card effects."

Hunter's Dream says, "Any damage you take is halved (round down)."

So is the reduction of damage the same as the prevention of damage? Repeating Pistol says, "Ignore all damage inflicted on your Hunter this round." I argue (and feel most would) that "ignore" is closer to "prevent" than "reduce" is. The interaction here is easier to parse. But I feel my question remains: would I take full damage from the Cleric Beast if I played Hunter's Dream?

Anyone have an answer? Thanks in advance.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I argue you wouldn't, since the words used are different, and mean different things. My competitors disagreed, but eventually came around. But I would rather play correctly than simply be vindicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't know the game yet, but if Blood Rage is any indication, Eric Lang games aren't known for airtight templating of the rules. You have to use some logic rather than rely on word choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Going by the text on Cleric Beast, the intention seems to be: ignore card text that would reduce your damage. I say you take the full damage with Hunter's Dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
Going by the text on Cleric Beast, the intention seems to be: ignore card text that would reduce your damage. I say you take the full damage with Hunter's Dream.

I quite agree. Again, these Lang games are not templated in such a term-specific manner as Magic: The Gathering is. You have to look at the intended spirit of the cards, and apply a bit of logic. The Cleric Beast's foiling of damage prevention cards would do nothing if you could use Hunter's Dream in this manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that is a compelling enough case, but that still doesn't change what the cards actually say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel it is very clear that you are preventing damage with the Dream card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mmmm...actually, preventing damage could be interpreted as blocking damage; but with Hunter Dream you never block it, you do take damage from the boss, the card just determines how much you get.

I think we need a somewhat official decision on this, specially because Hunter Dream is kind of a special card to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

the official answer is no prevention. Cleric Beast is supposed to be a pretty deadly boss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.