Subject: For me, previews and teasers just aren't the same anymore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had old acquaintances who were surprised that I'm not really excited about new releases anymore. Never mind that sometimes, "life" happens for some of us, and we have to put board gaming on hold, hiatus, or off indefinitely. For me, I don't have much bg-ing opportunities anymore, so while I'll read through teasers and previews, there's no point in delving beyond that. It's like watching a movie trailer/preview knowing you'll never be able to watch that movie.

Not really a question, but I just had to get this thought out there was all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't pay a whole lot of attention to new releases anymore. I'd rather concentrate on stuff I already have. I'm fortunate in that I have a wide variety of others I game with and usually someone else will grab some new hotness or I'll get a chance to try it out elsewhere. I don't need to be first on my block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
A valid point.

We have a situation where far too many new board games are chasing a limited number of customers with a limited amount of time.

In addition, the marketing push has become more intense leading to a situation where new games are aggressively presented to potential buyers (or KS backers) in the formats you mentioned... but since almost every publisher (whether large or small) is doing the same thing the customer is bombarded with these messages nearly to the point of sensory overload.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a similar place.

With kickstarters, more games are being previewed than ever, and all that really matters is the games available for play. The cult of the new in my group is really good about describing the game and reading and explaining the rules, so that's all the preview I really need.

I find myself habitually falling behind reading BoardGameGeek News.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.