Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:

Of course, now we're working on further R* games, two of which have already been "green-lit" by RGG. ;-)

(source)

Wow. I note Tom specifically says games. I don't know if we should read that this is two more stand alone games. At least one expansion Race, Roll, Jump Drive or New Horizons seems likely to me (I'm guessing not for Jump Drive). Edit - Tom confirms below the they may be expansions or games.

This is possibly a clue as to what they might be:

Tom Lehmann wrote:
Next year is Race's 10th anniversary. We hope to have some neat presents for you all, as well as stuff for Roll fans, plus New Frontiers, etc.

Which suggests that one may be something for Roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
I note Tom specifically says games. I don't know if we should that this is two more stand alone games

Doesn't sound like any expansions, as worded... Which is pretty wild. I'd have thought with a dice game, light game, and board game that they'd tapped out the options.

What's left? Civ/Wargame? That would be epic!

And a CCG/TCG? :P

Online-only competitor to Hearthstone? Now i'm just dreaming. :P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
zabdiel wrote:
I note Tom specifically says games. I don't know if we should that this is two more stand alone games

Doesn't sound like any expansions, as worded... Which is pretty wild. I'd have thought with a dice game, light game, and board game that they'd tapped out the options.

What's left? Civ/Wargame? That would be epic!

And a CCG/TCG?

Online-only competitor to Hearthstone? Now i'm just dreaming.

Original predecessor to RftG was a CCG -never published. Also you can play RftG as draft and/or consteucted.
It reminds me NewDawn board game version of Among the Stars - I haven't got a chance to play it but I suppose it wasn't as popular as original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:

What's left?

I know, that's why I'm not sure whether reading it literally is correct.

Hidden role game? Didn't Wei-Hwa mention moderating a RftG/Mafia mash up at a convention? (yes: Werewolf for the Galaxy at Gencon)

18XX? Deck builder?

Given that Tom has said he didn't to repeat himself are there any kinds of games he has never made?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
Whyalla Jenkins
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Deck builder?

This. One thousand times this. I had never considered this before and now can't express to you how badly I want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Penguinised wrote:
zabdiel wrote:
Deck builder?
This. One thousand times this. I had never considered this before and now can't express to you how badly I want it.

Noooo, say it ain't so. I wouldn't be surprised, but i'd be very sad. :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This post assumes both products are not expansions. We don't know.

Disclaimer 2: please don't take my selfish desires as an attack on any individual, company, or group of people. :)

This news is bittersweet for me. I just want more Race, or a better Race, not derivative forms that deviate too much from the perfect formula. However, my personal desires simply don't align with reality, and market realities:

1) I want more Race. Tom wants to do different things.
2) I want Race cards, not scenarios/modules and new games. RGG wants scenarios/modules and new games.
3) I want to master and explore one great game indefinitely. Boardgamers want to play very good shiny new games, a few times.

Oh well. :P

Tom: Ignoring any unreleased products/expansions, for Race for the Galaxy itself, do you feel like you've done all that you desired to do? If yes, had that point already occurred after the first two expansions?

zabdiel wrote:
Hidden role game? Didn't Wei-Hwa mention moderating a RftG/Mafia mash up at a convention?

It's possible Tom wants to make a coop, after getting the taste from Pandemic. Seems unlikely for an R* game, but who knows! IMO there's a dearth of great traitor mechanic games, the only kind of coop game i like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
Penguinised wrote:
zabdiel wrote:
Deck builder?

Noooo, say it ain't so. I wouldn't be surprised, but i'd be very sad.

I don't particularly want a Race deck builder. Deck building doesn't seem like the most interesting mechanic, though I've only played Star Realms so far, but I'm sure if Tom did make one it'd be good and I'd buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
I just want more Race, or a better Race, not derivative forms that deviate too much from the perfect formula.

I know what you mean, I think I'm as excited by the promo start worlds as anything else. That said I do like a variety of games, like the Race setting & think it's possible for a spin off game to give a similar experience to Race with totally different mechanics so I'm interested in other stuff too.
entranced wrote:
It's possible Tom wants to make a coop, after getting the taste from Pandemic. Seems unlikely for an R* game, but who knows! IMO there's a dearth of great traitor mechanic games, the only kind of coop game i like.

I think it'd be fairly easy to come up with plausible story lines for a R* co-op or traitor game. Xenos, Rebel vs Imperium or something different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
entranced wrote:
Tom: Ignoring any unreleased products/expansions, for Race for the Galaxy itself, do you feel like you've done all that you desired to do?

No. I'm happy and feel very grateful to be able to tell more stories with Race. As I've indicated in other threads, we will continue to support Race. Next year is Race's 10th anniversary. We hope to have some neat presents for you all, as well as stuff for Roll fans, plus New Frontiers, etc.

Not every Race story will work for every person. For example, I was glad that I got to tell the story about exploring the Alien Orb, even though only a few other people really enjoyed it.

On a practical level, that means that any expansion for Arc #2 -- if we ever decide to do one -- will not be centered around doing more with the orb, but taking its Alien theme in a different direction. That sucks for those that love the Orb, but it may be good news for those who love the AA cards and want to see more of them and a different take on the long-lost Aliens...

Personally, I find balance of power and limited aggression games to be very interesting. But, a lot of people don't. So I feel very grateful that I got to do Brink of War. While *I* enjoy 6-player BoW games with takeovers on, not that many people do. So, as a practical matter, a further extension of Arc #1 is unlikely.

Exactly what form new Race products will take and how many there will be is partially a function of sales, including foreign partners. If, at some point, some new foreign partner wants a big roll-out of Race in their market, this may result in new Race products.

I will say that I'm exploring a new idea for Race, in addition to expansions. I did a "proof-of-concept" test last Saturday (of about 5% of what will be needed) that was promising. It's so new, Wei-Hwa has never even seen or heard of it! ;-)

This project is NOT one of the *green-lit* products (which could be either games or expansions). Time will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
Whyalla Jenkins
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
I will say that I'm exploring a new idea for Race, in addition to expansions. I did a "proof-of-concept" test last Saturday (of about 5% of what will be needed) that was promising. It's so new, Wei-Hwa has never even seen or heard of it! ;-)

This project is NOT one of the *green-lit* products (which could be either games or expansions). Time will tell.

You are, among many other things, a master of suspense sir cry

The idea of you expanding upon the story beats of the more recent expansions is hugely exciting. I would love more content for the XI arc myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
entranced wrote:
Penguinised wrote:
zabdiel wrote:
Deck builder?

Noooo, say it ain't so. I wouldn't be surprised, but i'd be very sad.

I don't particularly want a Race deck builder. Deck building doesn't seem like the most interesting mechanic, though I've only played Star Realms so far, but I'm sure if Tom did make one it'd be good and I'd buy it.

Don't sell deckbuilding short based on Star Realms. It's a fine game (for what it tries to do), but it isn't deep.

To try deckbuilding you have to go to the source. The Grand-daddy of them all, Dominion. If you like deep games with lots of variety and non-obvious interactions between cards (which of course you do, you're in a RFtG forum!), then you'll love Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben3847 wrote:
Don't sell deckbuilding short based on Star Realms. It's a fine game (for what it tries to do), but it isn't deep.

I agree, though I think it has a bit more depth than most people first assume (me included), and I do enjoy it.

Ben3847 wrote:
then you'll love Dominion.

I should try it. A friend who I play games with fairly regularly has it. (I'm always slightly amused by the "If you like X you'll love Y" thing, "If you love X you may like Y" probably has more chance of being correct!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
entranced wrote:
Tom: Ignoring any unreleased products/expansions, for Race for the Galaxy itself, do you feel like you've done all that you desired to do?

No. I'm happy and feel very grateful to be able to tell more stories with Race. As I've indicated in other threads, we will continue to support Race. Next year is Race's 10th anniversary. We hope to have some neat presents for you all, as well as stuff for Roll fans, plus New Frontiers, etc.

Not every Race story will work for every person. For example, I was glad that I got to tell the story about exploring the Alien Orb, even though only a few other people really enjoyed it.

Can't tell if you're referring strictly to only the storyline, to the game in general. Either way, I did enjoy the story part of it. As for the game, I'm sure most folks didn't want to double the play time with AA. Here, I'm amongst the minority that prefers to only play AA with the Orb scenario. Else, I'd rather go with the full arc #1 with all the trimmings, or try out XI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:

Count my wife and myself among them! AA with cards-only is a great expansion, but the AA module adds a "board game" module to the game at a low, low cost. We love it! Probably 33% of our AA plays are with Orb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.