I took my custom Awful Green Things set to the D&D/boardgames event at EMF (emfcamp.org), a nerdy hacker/maker-type festival in the south of England.
There were four of us, and we found the game played fine with two players collaborating for each faction. (For three players I was thinking of attempting to use the Green and Orange things as separate factions, but I'm not sure how well it would have worked.) I and a friendly stranger played the Green Things, against a couple (I think) playing the crew. None of the other players had played the game before.
The outlook looked initially bad for the Green Things - especially when we discovered that fire extinguishers did 4 dice to kill - but we managed to multiply and group our adults at a couple of crucial bottlenecks, with a backup of young Things in the boat bays. We ambushed the robot and managed to get both the dangerous fire extinguishers where we could guard them. By the end, most of the surviving crew were holed up on the bridge. Eventually they activated the ship's self-destruct mechanism out of (good-natured) spite, and the crew players resigned.
The crew team seemed to think the Green Things had a large advantage. I'm not sure about that, but I do think this is probably sort of true for new players. The Green Things can get away with brute force and strength in numbers; the crew need to be more strategic, in a way that probably isn't intuitive on your first game.
Some photos from the session:
And some observations on my homemade set:
- I should mount the board on something heavier, or possibly bring blu-tack to fasten the board to the table.
- I made the eggs round. Round things roll. Not all tables are perfectly level. I should really know this.
- If I do try the Green and Orange Things together, I'll need a new set of weapon-effect counters and a separate weapons display for the Orange Things!
- I need to make a Crew Stats display with homemade artwork so that the
crew pictures look more like their miniatures. (It doesn't help that the one I've currently got uses the original Dragon artwork in which some of the three-armed Redundans are yellow instead of red.) We played with the miniatures standing on top of their crew counters for easy reference to their stats. It worked, but it made moving the pieces a little more fiddly and led to more crowding in busy squares, even with the enlarged board.