Subject: Player's Character vs. Mech? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Garcia
United States
McAllen
Texas
flag msg tools
I don't play to win, but rather to ensure others have fun. That brings me joy.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state: "If that player's character and/or mechs share a territory with an opponent's character and/or mechs, combats occur."

I interpret this as combat occurs Respectfully, hence player characters may only battle each other and NOT battle against mechs.

Plus, I wouldn't think it would be thematically correct for a human to wrangle a towering, mega-ton mech.

Is this correct, or as I remember, 'only plastic figures can battle plastic figures?'robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
balliztik2 wrote:
The rules state: "If that player's character and/or mechs share a territory with an opponent's character and/or mechs, combats occur."

I interpret this as combat occurs Respectfully, hence player characters may only battle each other and NOT battle against mechs.

Plus, I wouldn't think it would be thematically correct for a human to wrangle a towering, mega-ton mech.

Is this correct, or as I remember, 'only plastic figures can battle plastic figures?'robot

Combat occurs anytime any plastic figure is in a hex with any enemy's plastic figure. It does not matter if the plastic figures are characters or mechs, both types of plastic figures trigger combat and both can participate in combat with any combination of enemy characters and/or mechs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
balliztik2 wrote:

This is not correct. Basically as you stated at the end, "plastic figures battle plastic figures." Player characters function no differently than the mechs while in battle. In fact, the only differences that a character has from a mech is that it a) cannot carry workers and b) can interact with encounters and the factory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
Disclaimer: Not an actual cat
badge
50 Shades of Fur
mbmbmbmbmb
balliztik2 wrote:

You have to consider that the character miniature actually represents the character and his/her entourage (enlisted folk, etc.), so there's more firepower than you think. Also, remember the Battle of Hoth from Star Wars - the bigger they are, the easier they are to topple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to picture this is that each character has her own personal mech. I believe Günter's is shown in one of the pictures. They are not large enough to transport passengers, but they are too large to be transported in the large mechs. This also explains why your character shares the abilities with your mechs. Each time you deploy a new and better mech, you update all your existing mechs, including your character's, to the same standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"If that player's character and/or mechs share a territory with an opponent's character and/or mechs, combats occur."

I interpret this as
I don't mean to be rude here, but what is there to interpret? What part of "and/or" do you not get?

and/or: "If that player's character share a territory with an opponent's mechs, combats occur."

Trying to reimagine theme or flavor text back into mechanics is never a good idea. You always go the other direction. So since the mechanics tell us that a Character can combat a Mech, you need to imagine that in a way that makes sense (ie. the character has a mech, and/or an army with them, and/or the animals possess high amounts of strength, cunning, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Garcia
United States
McAllen
Texas
flag msg tools
I don't play to win, but rather to ensure others have fun. That brings me joy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinsilver wrote:
balliztik2 wrote:

You have to consider that the character miniature actually represents the character and his/her entourage (enlisted folk, etc.), so there's more firepower than you think. Also, remember the Battle of Hoth from Star Wars - the bigger they are, the easier they are to topple.

Brilliant! Thank you all for beautifully tying this up thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinsilver wrote:
You have to consider that the character miniature actually represents the character and his/her entourage (enlisted folk, etc.), so there's more firepower than you think.

The cavalry and infantry you see in Jakob's art are abstracted into Power and the Combat Cards. Interestingly, a mech or character by itself is value 0. Mechs and characters are administrative rally points for combat units. And they don't take causalities. The infantry and cavalry do. They pretty much annihilate each other every battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.