Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you keep the immersion for all while playing with an app ?

Do you connect your device to a really big TV screen so everyone can read and immerse without a problem ? I can't imagine all looking at a small screen of a smart device or handing the device around is a fun option. Even a standard computer/notebook screen seems to small for a 4 player group.

What is your experience ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the board, not at the app. We pass the tablet around the table like an active player marker. The active player is the only player who needs the app and should read everything out aloud. For the other players, there is nothing really of interest on the app that isn't also on the board. This is a board game; look at the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Lamps
msg tools
I just have it at on the table next to me and read aloud the flavour text, as I would if it were a paper scenario book.

People seem really hung up on the "it's an app" thing. But an app is just another form of display, same as a book. You don't have everyone stare at the rule book throughout (normally) and the app doesn't suddenly do something out of the blue, only when you press it (or turn to the right section to use the book analogy) so there's no need to stare at the damn thing all the time

The only thing I do do however is to have it linked to my Bluetooth speakers so the immersion sound effects play throughout - but this is also what I did when being the keeper in MoM 1 - I would play a haunted house ambient track throughout for immersion and play sound effects from YouTube when things happened... But then I do get a bit carried away when GM'ing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the app on Steam setting the laptop down on the table off to the side of the board. The screen is big enough for everyone to see - there's no need to pass a device around. Playing in this way we have found that the app helps immerse us into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trinket wrote:
I just have it at on the table next to me and read aloud the flavour text, as I would if it were a paper scenario book.

People seem really hung up on the "it's an app" thing. But an app is just another form of display, same as a book.

I was asking as I have golem arcana where it was necessary for us to have the app display on a big screen as it was providing the needed immersion in addition to the board.

For example it may also be immersive for all to read the text on the screen while playing MoM. I think it certainly is for the scenario intro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.