Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Gutt
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not sure if this question has already been resolved (I could not find it in previous posts), but on page 9 of the rules at the top of the page, left column, regarding Award Plaques, it states:

"Earning an Award Plaque has one of the following *immediate benefits*" (emphasis mine);

The way I've always seen the rule interpreted is to mean that the bonus taken (book, voucher, VPs) is available immediately for use, which is different from all other bonuses, which are only available after the turn they are earned. I assumed that is why the designer wrote "immediate" in the phrase, to indicate that the bonus should be available as it is earned.

Is this not the correct reading of the rules? Let me know and I'll be very grateful for the insight, thanks! :)

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that is correct..l anything you gain during your turn will only be available on your next turn...

The Immediate there only means that you reveal and collect the appropriate token at that point..l it isn't a thing you hold on and reveal later when you want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
I don't think that is correct..l anything you gain during your turn will only be available on your next turn...

The Immediate there only means that you reveal and collect the appropriate token at that point..l it isn't a thing you hold on and reveal later when you want

On page 7 is the general rule:
You are not allowed to use any benefits the same day you recieve them.
We play always this way.

But I think the rule on page 9 is a little bit misleading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, hopefully: 2016 - Lisboa, 2017 - A Colony in Mars, 201? - Escape plan
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule in page 9 refers to the plaque ( you take the plaque and Immediately get the award ). The benefits on the plaque can only be used during the following turn. Rule in page 7 is true to all benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hopkins
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that for seats and points as well or just books, vouchers, and shifts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leo
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This rule only applies to books, vouchers, and shifts. You cannot use seats immediately anyway, so the rule would be irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Gutt
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just a suggestion that in this case, the word "immediately" is used poorly at best, and can only lead to this type of confusion. Of course, you will complete the move of becoming expert by taken a chair if one is there, and choosing a bonus as per the rules -- no need to say do it "immediately". The plaque is useless in game terms, and it only confuses things to say otherwise.

Nonetheless, thanks for the clarification, Vital, and great game, btw! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teddog wrote:
Just a suggestion that in this case, the word "immediately" is used poorly at best, and can only lead to this type of confusion. Of course, you will complete the move of becoming expert by taken a chair if one is there, and choosing a bonus as per the rules -- no need to say do it "immediately". The plaque is useless in game terms, and it only confuses things to say otherwise.

Nonetheless, thanks for the clarification, Vital, and great game, btw!

Well, the game has been out for almost 2 years and this is the first time this question was posed, so I don't see it as poorly as you say it is...

To me it was clear that the Immediate there was just so that players know they collect the reward at that point and not hold on to the plaque and collect it later...

The rules are pretty clear before in saying that anything you collect on your turn (books, vouchers, banked shifts) you only be available on your next turn... clear than that is a bit difficult
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.