$30.00
rhino houdini
msg tools

On Ratshadow's character card, his special ability "Cunning Action" states "you may take a second non-Attack action during your Hero phase".

Ratshadow's utility power "Reliable Talent" states that he can gain Advantage during his hero phase. This utility power does NOT state to flip this card over after use (most utility power cards and daily power cards state on them to flip this card over after use). The use of "Reliable Talent" seems to be a non-Attack action.

The Rulebook states for utility powers: "Unless the card states otherwise, when you use a Utility power, you flip it over and cannot use it again until some other effect (usually a Treasure card) allows you to flip it back up.

I checked all the utility powers and daily powers for all five characters and there is none that states "do not flip card over after use", which would correspond to the "unless the card states otherwise....." statement in the previous point.

Based on the above points, it appears that during each hero phase Ratshadow could move, then gain advantage using "Reliable Talent" utility card, then attack.

Please let me know if you agree with all of the above or not, and your reasoning.

Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
rhino5 wrote:
The Rulebook states for utility powers: "Unless the card states otherwise, when you use a Utility power, you flip it over

Reliable Talent does not "state otherwise" (i.e., the card does not say that you do not flip it over), therefore it gets flipped once used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
This question has come up a number of times and the general consensus seems to be that the "Unless the card states otherwise, when you use a Utility power, you flip it over" rule is poorly worded and should really state you only flip Utility power cards over if the card tells you to.

Reliable Talent, flip or no flip? Closed

Utility Powers

Flipping utility powers?

I would like to add that since this is a co-op game, it's best to play it how you prefer, use whatever interpretation you'll enjoy the most or makes more sense to you and your group.

Ratshadow's Utility power Reliable Talent is somewhat rubbish if it's a one-shot use of an Action to gain Advantage. That is seriously weak if so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think that regardless of what is written in the rules, those powers that do not say "flip after use" are meant to be multi use powers.

Ratshadow's advantage gaining power is not overpowered IMO, as his attacks are designed to be very weak when he is not using the advantage power. And often the power is more useful when used to remove a trap. However, I do think that if he gains Claws of the Umber Hulk (3 points of damage, poor accuracy), the combination is a bit too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
We're playing it as you can use it every turn. Otherwise, what good is it?
You get to either do a double move or remove a trap, 2 things that are good at some special situations but are usually pointless most of the times.

When you compare it to the ability of the rest of the characters, it doesn't add up much.

Sure, it means you heat more often, but you still don't do as much damage since the rouge basically has multiple attacks and the advantage only works for the first one.

As for Umber Hulk (hands down the best item in the game), your odds of hitting are still not that great except the villains which are absurdly easy to hit anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:

Ratshadow's Utility power Reliable Talent is somewhat rubbish if it's a one-shot use of an Action to gain Advantage. That is seriously weak if so.

It also would be more than a bit amusing to have Ratshadow's "reliable talent" but so unreliably available. laugh

The combination does seem pretty powerful, but it seems that the intent is to allow the rogue to do what rogues do: disarm traps, while still being able to participate in combat as well.

The thing about Ratshadow is that the ability to clear the traps out of the way as a freebie action is really all that makes him unique, as his combat skills are pretty weak, his compulsory weapon being particularly lackluster.

I think the advantage clause was added to the card just to give that player something to do with the ability in a trap light circumstance. Yes, it's reasonably abusive, but only at dealing 1 damage at a time; this seems pretty good against weak monsters and pretty weak against stronger ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.