Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there is no hidden information on the monster tokens as there was in the first edition, is there really any need for the huge cumbersome bases?

Presumably, along with tracking hits, the app also takes care of any hidden info that used to be on the tokens (if the game even uses this idea at all any more). What do other people think? I will try asking FFG but sometimes that can be like pulling teeth.

I am seriously considering re-basing all the minis and just having the tokens to the side for reference, or even create a reference sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SmallRobot Painting
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts exactly, I will be rebasing the minis onto clear acrylic bases and keep the stat card to the sides.

like these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROUND-CLEAR-BASES-many-sizes-minia...mmjhy6ODd9IG0vHzH2jIQ7Kw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have the bases as to be compatible with the first edition monsters. But, I agree they are unnecessary for second edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
Patton: "Witch King of Angmar, you magnificent Nazgul bastard, I read your epic poem!" -B. Zurunkel
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly I am in the minority in this thread, but I like the way the bases are sized! Visually and tactically, they underscore the size and the awesome power of their associated monsters. When you lower a star-spawn into an entryway in the mansion, you indeed get the feeling that there is NO WHERE to run...or even stand! If ffg ever included the properly sized big CthU in an expansion, two players would need to place it.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do the monsters have the stats/base token anyway? The App controls all that info doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Why do the monsters have the stats/base token anyway? The App controls all that info doesn't it?

No, the app just tracks which monsters are still present and damage taken (which you click buttons to add/remove), so it can remind you of things and launch attacks.

It's definitely still a boardgame primarily, so you need to refer to the stats on the monster tokens for various checks during the game.

EDIT: Oh, and you click/tap buttons on the appropriate monster in the app to generate attack/evade events (rather than turning cards as I think it worked in 1e?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate that they take up a lot of room in the box and that when placed on the board it covers up a huge chunk of art as well as taking up way too much room too. I'm looking into acrylic based as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done acrylic bases for Shadows of Brimstone, as well as Malifaux, so that's definitely what will be happening here as well.

Bonus of acrylic bases--no need for Rune tokens. You can just mark the bases with a wet/dry erase marker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SmallRobot wrote:
My thoughts exactly, I will be rebasing the minis onto clear acrylic bases and keep the stat card to the sides.

like these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROUND-CLEAR-BASES-many-sizes-minia...mmjhy6ODd9IG0vHzH2jIQ7Kw

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to do the same thing. The monster bases just take up too much space and end up covering the board.

I've, also, picked up a cheap geo-magnetic set from a local charity shop. The clear triangle bases with 3 holes in them work great for basing the flying creatures. They slot straight in without gluing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No they are certainly not needed, but if they were not included then this forum would be full of 1st edition owners complaining about how unfair FFG is and how they are entitled to 100% compatibility. With the included Conversion Kit, clearly FFG was looking out for that audience.

I'm actually considering not using the figs at all. The counters themselves are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm going to use acrylic bases for all but the star spawns, cthonians, shoggoths and hounds of tindalos as after cutting the 'nubs' off they stand perfectly well on their own. The shoggoths do need a little weight though in the hollow rear to stop them tipping forward slightly.

Now to devise some kind of reference sheet or cards (like the monster cards in Descent v2) to do away with the tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely going acrylic too, I never liked the bases in MoM but at least in 1st edition you could track damage with them and whatnot. Here they're just ugly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which checks do you need to refer to the base token for?

Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lancemoody wrote:
Which checks do you need to refer to the base token for?

Lance

On the back they have a brawn value that determines their ability to kick down barricades.

On the front they've got an evade value, when you evade a monster in your space you evade the one with the highest value here.

They've also got a horror value on the front, and when you make a horror test you make it against the monster in range with the highest value here.

There are also a number of special abilities that are found on the back of tokens and not referred to by the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've, also, picked up a cheap geo-magnetic set from a local charity shop. The clear triangle bases with 3 holes in them work great for basing the flying creatures. They slot straight in without gluing.

What are these? Any chance you could post pics? They sound cool. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be blasphemous to some of you, but in the 1st ed., I put away the small miniatures and only use the big ones. I just use the tiles instead since they have the relevant information. The bases are too clunky for me and take up lots of space (box and on the board). I'll probably do the same in the 2nd ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mickey Stirrups wrote:
Quote:

What are these? Any chance you could post pics? They sound cool. Thanks.

I hope this helps. I paid £2.50 for an assorted box of geomag panels from a charity shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InvisibleRobots wrote:
Clearly I am in the minority in this thread, but I like the way the bases are sized! Visually and tactically, they underscore the size and the awesome power of their associated monsters. When you lower a star-spawn into an entryway in the mansion, you indeed get the feeling that there is NO WHERE to run...or even stand! If ffg ever included the properly sized big CthU in an expansion, two players would need to place it.

laugh

I agree, I like the bases as well, give you a feel for the size of the beast. Also having the tile in them makes it east for new players who don't know a Mi-go from a Hunting Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
If there weren't data on the tokens that fit into the bases, I'd probably make the switch. They're not the best and they're a little clunky (and most importantly, they get in the way of the beautiful tile art)... but I'll take the bases over having reference tiles on the side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need the tokens for 3 stats: Awareness, Horror, Brawn. The bases are the same as 1st Ed, for swapping.

But most importantly, the bases will fit Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror tokens. You can use these miniatures in those games seamlessly.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
shnar wrote:
You need the tokens for 3 stats: Awareness, Horror, Brawn. The bases are the same as 1st Ed, for swapping.

But most importantly, the bases will fit Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror tokens. You can use these miniatures in those games seamlessly.

-shnar

No idea why I didn't think of that at all. (The compatibility with Eldritch) Brilliant. Also excellent points for Horror rating and so forth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
I'm actually considering not using the figs at all. The counters themselves are fine.

I was thinkking the same. I'm not a fan of minis and the tokens even have art on them (not "colorless" grey as the minis).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Baltimore
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's entirely up to you but they are not needed for this edition.

We talked more about the options here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1616754/switching-acrylic-b...

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
To put the minis on clear bases, is it just a matter of cutting the little nubbins off with a craft knife then gluing them to a base?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
To put the minis on clear bases, is it just a matter of cutting the little nubbins off with a craft knife then gluing them to a base?

Yep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.