13 Posts

Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Rules

Subject: Orcish Crossbow and Dagger rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garruk TheHunter
msg tools
mbmb
Didn't find a definitive answer to this, since the Orcish Crossbow is a range and a melee weapon, could I hold a dagger in my offhand and roll 1 more dice when using the Orcish Crossbow as a melee?

Also, I guess that using the Orcish Crossbow as a melee weapon doesn't require you to reload it between hits as long as you use it in melee?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct sir. x2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
msg tools
Also to add, the orcish crossbow benefits from any melee or ranged skill benefits (+1 die roll, +1 damage, etc) but only when used in the respective way. Shooting it will add any ranged bonuses but not melee bonuses, and vice versa when using it in melee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Broussard
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
about the dagger, if you have a great sword and a dagger both equipped, does the dagger give the great sword 6 dice or does the great sword give the dagger two dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
msg tools
4andreb wrote:
about the dagger, if you have a great sword and a dagger both equipped, does the dagger give the great sword 6 dice or does the great sword give the dagger two dice?

Having a dagger increases the number of dice rolled for a second equipped melee weapon by 1. So the great sword would be 6 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be exact, you have two options in this case for each Melee attack. You either:
• Use the Great Sword, rolling 6 dice and hitting on 5+.
• Use the Dagger, rolling 1 die and hitting on 4+.

You should always choose the Great Sword, but you do have that choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Isn't the Great Sword two-handed though, meaning you cannot gain an extra die from the dagger unless you have Swordmaster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bone White wrote:
Isn't the Great Sword two-handed though, meaning you cannot gain an extra die from the dagger unless you have Swordmaster?

No. There is no two-handed mechanic in Zombicide. The lack of a Dual Wielding icon does not affect things either. You are not Dual Wielding when using the Dagger's ability, you are just using that ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know it's not explicitly implied or denied as far as I can tell in the rulebook but it does read on page 32:

Quote:
If the active Survivor has two identical weapons or Combat spells with the Dual symbol equipped in Hands, he can use both weapons at the same time at the cost of a single Action. For Ranged and Magic Actions, both weapons/spells must be aimed at the same Zone.

The question is, when it reads "use both weapons" does that mean just for damage, or the entire rules on that card?

Thematically, I envision the example above (Great Sword + Dagger) as the user stuffing the dagger in their belt while they grab the sword with two hands to swing it - so not gaining any benefit from the dagger.

Any quoted clarification on this would be great.

Edit:

I just noticed it also reads "identical weapons ... with the dual symbol". So perhaps it should only work for two daggers, and not sword + dagger? That would make the original question moot (and turn the game as our group currently plays it on its head).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The description of Daggers in the rulebook clearly indicates they would work with any other Melee weapon, not just Daggers. As you say, Dual Wielding only applies to identical weapons, so the Dagger's ability is not tied to Dual Wielding.

The rules say you can use up to two Hands worth of weapons, and that is the only appropriate rule here. Thus, the Dagger can power up the Great Sword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So then you'd say that someone wielding the Quicksilver Sword from ZBP:WB in one hand and a Great Sword in the other can gain Lucky on the Great Sword's attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bone White wrote:
So then you'd say that someone wielding the Quicksilver Sword from ZBP:WB in one hand and a Great Sword in the other can gain Lucky on the Great Sword's attack?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Clipper, the explanations in the book and the wording weren't too clear to me. I mean it makes sense now you've explained it but anything seems simple once you know it.

All that the rulebook needed to clear that up was an example of how Orcish Crossbow and Dagger would/could work, but that the dagger damage cannot get rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.