Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert McGuire
Scotland
Glasgow
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

I wanted to make an insert that kept the main board on the top, but gave the option of keeping the board extension on the bottom. Here's what i came up with. I'm pretty pleased with it, and thought i'd share it here. I used 3mm foam care as that's what i had lying around, although there's a lot to fit in so maybe 5mm would have been too much anyway.

the board on top, with the space at the side walled off and with all the wooden bits there.

two trays underneath

the mechs and components, the extension board is underneath everything.
The tray for the cards rests on top of the mech tray. the tray for the mats is a little deeper and rests on top of the plastic tubs. (image came out upside-down for some reason, cant see how to fix it, sorry)

the faction mats are under the player boards.

encounter tokens and structure bonus tiles are under the cards. the token tray is just wedged into the space, so it can be removed easy enough

some detail of the card tray. i needed to make a hole so all the power dials could fit in ok.

Hope these photos are of some interest to someone.

Cheers,
Rob

-------------------------

more detailed descriptions and photos as requested.

the card tray is 27mm high (so the walls are all 24mm). 288mm wide (the width of box). 186mm long.
the interior dividers just take their size from the size of the cards:

the factory/quickstart cards and the automota cards have two layers of foam core underneath to fill the space and make it easier to get the cards out. mine are just wedged in rather than glued, both to future proof against future cards that may come out (or 2nd automa deck), and because i'm lazy:

the combat cards just need one layer of foamcore wedged in underneath to fill the space:

detail of the space under the mission cards, just some walls wedged in to keep the objective cards in place. a wedge has been cut out of the base to make it easier to get the objective cards out:

this wee tray sits under the encounter deck, both to fill the space and make it easier to get the cards out, but also to hold the encounter tokens. note that the base is card stock, so that the total hight is 6mm (two layers of foamcore). Again, this is cut to size such that it just wedges into the space so it stays in place, but can also be easily removed:

for the powerdials i just crudely drew round the dial and cut a rough octogon out, i put in some extra walls to hold them in place a bit, but they aren't even necessary and none of these dimensions need to be precise. also note that there are wedges cut out of the side walls for each of the sections:

The tray for the mats is 39mm high (so the walls are 36mm). it is aslo 288mm wide and 119mm long. i.e it is just big enough to fit the action mats. I put in some small wall sections in the bottom (13mm high), to secure the faction mats in place. you cant see it in the photo, but there is one layer of foamcore wedged in under the faction mats. This raises the mats to the required hight (so they are flush with the walls) - but also future-proofs against the expansion faction mats (it can be removed to make room for them later):

I thinks that's really it. The only other bit is the walled off section for the wooden pieces is just cut to size (i.e it is the width of the box, the height of the box and the length of the gap between the board extension and the box wall). It isn't glued to the box or anything, it just holds itself in place.

I hope that's helpful, that should be everything you need i guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
All that I need is this moment
mbmbmbmbmb
Εxceptional job Robert!!

I'm about to start my own too, although I'm a little a bit skeptical about the incoming expansion....
So probably I should wait a bit....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best insert for this I've seen yet. I'll wait until the expansion to start mine though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McGuire
Scotland
Glasgow
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks guys. . I did try to future-proof against the expansion a little bit. There's a temporary spacer in the bottom of the mat tray that should make space for two more faction mats. the wooden bits should fit down the side, i think. The mechs however... that'll be a different matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Burgess
msg tools
Great job.. Can you post a blueprint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McGuire
Scotland
Glasgow
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Michael. I don't have a blueprint as I was just measuring it against the components as I went along. I'll try to upload more detailed photos and descriptions, that should help if you were going to replicate it. Thanks for your interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McGuire
Scotland
Glasgow
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've added more details to the original post, that should be everything you need to replicate the design if you wish. hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Rodriguez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Amazing!!! Great job!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.