Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a new life partner and she wants to try a cooperative game. Most of my gaming is just with her. She really likes dice but that's not a requirement. Any suggestions for some good ones? Theme not terribly important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I have a new life partner and she wants to try a cooperative game. Most of my gaming is just with her. She really likes dice but that's not a requirement. Any suggestions for some good ones? Theme not terribly important.

Cooperative games are my wife's favorite. We play several games together each week. Here are our personal favorites ranked from lightest to heaviest.

-Onirim
-Sylvion
-Forbidden Island or Desert
-Legendary (any of them, but Alien and Predator are best)
-Pandemic or Pandemic the Cure
-Big Book of Madness
-Elder Sign (with gates or Arkham or omens of ice only!)
-Eldritch Horror
-Defenders of the Last Stand

Some of these games play best with 3 or 4 (Pandemic for example), but we enjoy all of them a ton with 2 also.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic: The Cure, has dice, is cooperative and plays well with two.

Most coops play well with two though. We like Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert along with Freedom: The Underground Railroad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We really enjoy Flash Point: Fire Rescue with just 2. We'll often double up on the characters and play 2 each as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is Defenders of the Realm if you were comfortable playing two characters each. I am inclined to recommend Pandemic as well as the two games have many similarities and my draw to Defenders IS the theme.

Also Flash Point Fire Rescue is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
mayneric wrote:

Most coops play well with two though. We like Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert along with Freedom: The Underground Railroad.

+1 to Pandemic The Cure.

Each character has their own pool of dice, with their own colors. I love looking at them. It also scales well from two to more, in case you ever have people over.

The easiest setting is not so easy. I mean, yeah, once you know the game, it's hard to lose at easy, but by that point you can up the difficulty.

Only complaint, it can get repetitive if played a lot. I mean, if you plan on taking it out every single weekend, you might be in trouble.

Also positive, ditch the box and it's extremely portable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freedom: The Underground Railroad has been my favourite 2p coop experience with my partner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If she likes dice:

Elder Sign

Pandemic: The Cure

Both games also work as gateway games. Elder Sign becomes a much better (but very slightly heavier) game with Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
My wife and I love Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective. No dice, and very different than the other games mentioned, but we've had a lot of fun with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Legends of Andor.

Coop puzzly thing, where combat is resolved with dice. Different characters use the dice in a different way.

Check out some reviews, the opinions are diverse.

It's a favorite of me and my SO, btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek Panic is great, especially if you like theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MalCharacter wrote:
mayneric wrote:

+1 to Pandemic The Cure.

Each character has their own pool of dice, with their own colors. I love looking at them. It also scales well from two to more, in case you ever have people over.

The easiest setting is not so easy. I mean, yeah, once you know the game, it's hard to lose at easy, but by that point you can up the difficulty.

Only complaint, it can get repetitive if played a lot. I mean, if you plan on taking it out every single weekend, you might be in trouble.

Also positive, ditch the box and it's extremely portable.

I also recommend Pandemic: The Cure, and Malcharacter's description of the game pretty much matches my own.

I will add that the game does require team planning and risk management to succeed. There are difficult choices to make, and I've played games where we've lost just when it appeared that victory was at hand.

As was noted, each role has a unique set of action dice, reflecting his/her special abilities. In other words, each die for the Medic is different than the die for the Researcher, which is different from the Dispatcher, etc. This is one of the major attractions for me. Also, each disease has it own color of unique dice, and knowing that aids risk management.

My wife and I have played with one role each, and with 2-roles each, and it's always fun.

Pandemic: The Cure is outstanding as both 2-player and multiplayer coop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Almost every co-op works well with 2. Some don't work well if the 2 of you are only controlling 2 players, but then just need to control 3 or 4. Co-ops don't feel less fun or less "correct" if I'm controlling 2 players.

The only ones that you can't do this with are those that rely on hidden information, like Hanabi and The Grizzled, or those that are time-based like Space Alert, where you do need to determine if 2 players is where it's best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor and Thunderbirds are my absolute favorite cooperative games. Both use dice to a large extent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MEDTKO wrote:
My wife and I love Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective. No dice, and very different than the other games mentioned, but we've had a lot of fun with it.

Plus one to this if you like the idea of a cooperative deduction game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Pandemic the Cure will get our first attempt. She is a former RN and the theme appeals to her. Next may be Elder Sign as I have played it a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Nadolski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. You will have fun a (and die). It had dice rolls. Exploration. And is getting a brand new reprint with hopefully better rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Carter
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1 for Forbidden Desert

Played it with my fiancée last week and it was enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
jhaimowitz wrote:
Freedom: The Underground Railroad has been my favourite 2p coop experience with my partner.

I feel like this needs more love. Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.