Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
And yes, of course I mean Giga-Robo.

I'm very interested in BOTH of these projects, but for very different reasons. Both games are approaching things in very, VERY different ways, and I'd actually like to remind people of those significant contrasts.

While I was never able to view this as being a legitimate Armored Core project (at least not outside the core set), the aesthetic is a gritty post-apocalyptic one. Everything is faded and worn, which is a lot like AC, and many other such settings. Giga-Robo has a much brighter look, with more of a "super robot" anime feel than the "real robots" of the Battletech and/or Armored Core franchises.

Even if you ignore the significant aesthetic differences, the core gameplay dynamic is entirely contradictory. Mech Command is built around realtime "no dice" (actual quote from the campaign) combat. Nothing is left to chance, it's all built up around how you and your opponent(s) handle your mech(s). Targeting is verified with the LED lights, allowing fast and fluid gameplay with very clearly-defined "hit" conditions. Giga-Robo takes the exact opposite approach. Each turn is controlled by one player/team, who are the only ones moving, and who control the turn's events by declaring attacks (or not) at their discretion. As opposed to Mech Command's guaranteed effects, Giga-Robo is about throwing "fistfuls of dice" (another exact quote) and seeing whose roll comes out on top.

Another core design element of Mech Command is that you start with full capabilities, and wear down from damage, energy load, and potentially running out of ammo. In Giga-Robo, you power up over time, bringing more of your cards and abilities into play over the first few turns, then recycling those abilities over time as the game progresses. Even damage effects give you more "fighting spirit" to pay for your abilities, where Mech Command leaves you in a weakened state as you take hits, locking out abilities you previously had access to.

I can't honestly say that I think the core gameplay loop for either game is "better" or "worse" - they're so different I don't think they can be adequately compared, and I find it a little off-putting to see so many attempts to push people into switching from one project to the other without addressing how massively different the two games are.

If you were interested in Mech Command purely because of the AC connection, and now have some money to spare for "hey, cool mech game!", I hope this helps you decide. If you just thought "cool, giant robots fighting through a cityscape!", and are now reconsidering because of the shaky look of the campaign, I hope this helps you decide where your money would be better invested. If the RTS gameplay loop was the main thing that drew you in, I can't in fairness recommend Giga-Robo, and I don't think anyone should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Also whoever is trolling this project using Giga-Robo the team has already asked people not to do that can you please not be a jerk. Also both of these games look fun even if this one has had a shaky second half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agree with everything you said Oblivion Doll. I ended up backing both games (as I believe you did) because they are so different. I like the aesthetic of Mech Command RTS and gameplay looks to be really innovative. I originally passed on Giga-Robo! because I wasn't groovin' on its aesthetics, but after reading reviews and watching game play videos I kinda fell in love with it. The whole idea of throwing your opponent through buildings and watching bad things happen to them made me smile... a lot!
I do wish that the MC RTS campaign had gone better and not left me with a nasty bile taste in my mouth. I think BCG will get everything right and ultimately deliver a great product... I hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I did end up backing both projects, yes.

And I agree with you on both wishing the MCRTS campaign had gone better AND hoping/expecting to see both projects turn out awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.