Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Finch
United Kingdom
Woking
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about this, and thought it would make thematic sense to be able to retire from all job levels.

If you retire from a L3 job - you pay roughly the same resources as it takes to pick the job (not promotion) and you get 6 coins as a pension (which is roughly the job income / 3 and rounded up).

So, if you wanted to retire from your L1 job - spend 1 more resource (social = influence, art = creativity, science = knowledge) than the hiring cost, and an 1 hourglass.

You would then get a pension of 2 coins for L1 job, 4 coins for a L2 job (but only in the Old Age section?).

Your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, people don't "retire" from L1/L2 jobs--they just quit. Retirement conveys benefits which you don't get until you've been promoted up to a L3 position (either at the same company or by switching companies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xenongames wrote:
Thematically, people don't "retire" from L1/L2 jobs--they just quit. Retirement conveys benefits which you don't get until you've been promoted up to a L3 position (either at the same company or by switching companies).
I don't quite get that. I'm a teacher, and I'm putting money into a retirement account I can draw from when I reach old age. It would be good if the rules at least allowed quitting level 1 or 2 jobs in old age without taking the stress and short term happiness hit, even if retirement wasn't an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
xenongames wrote:
I don't quite get that. I'm a teacher, and I'm putting money into a retirement account I can draw from when I reach old age. It would be good if the rules at least allowed quitting level 1 or 2 jobs in old age without taking the stress and short term happiness hit, even if retirement wasn't an option.

I agree. Many people retire from what might be called a L1/2 job when they get to retirement age with only their statutory retirement benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Abela
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
So, from a balance perspective, you might need to work the numbers a bit.

Giving away freeish resources is always tricky, and if you're going to hand them out across the rounds, then you might have cases where people take a job, pay the retirement fee, and earn free money for the rest of the game.

So call it 4 or 5 rounds - and that works out to be 8 or 10 coins over a lifetime. So you'll get around a 1:1 ratio for your resources (5 resources and a time, which we'll count as 3 - gives you 8:8 or 8:10 depending on how long you live). Balanced-ish - but only if you're going to retire immediately. Will be less useful as time goes by, which goes contrary to what you're supposed to be doing for a job

If you restrict it to old age (1 or 2 rounds), it not going to be worth it at all. I'd discard the card, then use my time to do an odd job instead - and I've earned more money.
---
Thematically speaking, it's a nice idea. Although the "retire at L3" concept was more akin to a golden handshake a CEO might receive, more than a normal pension one would get from setting aside part of their wages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.