Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective» Forums » Rules

Subject: questions from a newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
darthead cricketeer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
So after reading the rules and playing a little bit of the first case i am wondering if i "revisit" cases does this count as another case for scoring purposes when you compare to holmes? Also what is the map actually for? I think i am missing something. We play it that we just use the directory to look up a lead. How do i actually use the map? And last question, if we think we found the solution can we have someone else who is not playing tell us if we are right or wrong but not tell us the right answer so that we could replay it again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthead501 wrote:
So after reading the rules and playing a little bit of the first case i am wondering if i "revisit" cases does this count as another case for scoring purposes when you compare to holmes? Also what is the map actually for? I think i am missing something. We play it that we just use the directory to look up a lead. How do i actually use the map? And last question, if we think we found the solution can we have someone else who is not playing tell us if we are right or wrong but not tell us the right answer so that we could replay it again?

The map is useful for figuring out how quickly people can get from point A to B (you'll notice a line in the corner stating the amount of time needed to travel a given distance). It also might be of interest what is located close by. As for someone telling you if you're right or not, it's a bit more to it than that. You'll be asked several questions when you decide you've had enough leads. Some pertain directly to the case "who did it, why, how, etc", but some are more tangentially related. So part of the puzzle is you don't know exactly what the questions are going to be. As soon as you know the questions, it's really not the same anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game, but I don't really see the point in playing the cases repeatedly, unless you're just along for the ride with a new group or pull it off the shelf in 15 years after you've forgotten most everything.

The map can be very helpful in some cases, and I strongly encourage you to use it.

When you say revisit cases, so you mean leads? You can look back at leads you've followed with no penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvinator Chan
msg tools
And once you're done with the 10 cases, there are fan-made cases. Although I haven't played them at all, I highly recommend them. Nice official looking copies. I'm currently working on translating one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
The map is useful for finding a location (in at least one case) that can't be found any other way, and for looking at distances (to see if a suspect could possible have got to a certain location in the time given). Can't say more than that without spoilers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
stalin1953 wrote:
I'm currently working on translating one.

Looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be worthwhile and fun to see how Holmes "solved" the case and see the clues he used, esp. if you have not seen them yet.

Yes, it is possible to replay a case and try different things, but it will not be the same as you will know more at the start than normally is the case, unless you have forgotten.

Note that there is a reason the cases are in time order and it is best to play them in that order as the game assumes one will do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
stalin1953 wrote:
And once you're done with the 10 cases, there are fan-made cases. Although I haven't played them at all, I highly recommend them. Nice official looking copies. I'm currently working on translating one.

Also it seems that 20 more will be coming out in the next year or so.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1610923/interesting-video-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.