Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean
United States
Genoa City
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it just fine solo, bought it after watching the Ricky Royal playthrough series. It has a nice survivor horror feel without getting bogged down in endless zombie bashing and combat resolution.

Most of the hate seems to come from the lack of the traitor mechanic for solitaire play (turn the dead/killed characters into zombies and there's your "traitor")

The Crossroads cards can be resolved with an app now but it's not really necessary IMHO

Hopefully the expansion has more to add to solo-only play, maybe someone who has it already can comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting Dead of Winter the Long Night delivered tomorrow. I'll get some solo plays in this week and let you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you take out the secret objectives, what you end up with is zombie themed Pandemic. If that's what you're looking for, great! This is your game. I feel like solo play requires the removal of the core of what makes Dead of Winter so good: the tension of not knowing who the traitor is or if there even is one. Solo play also has an adverse effect on the crossroads cards. The voting cards don't really work solo and part of the fun is discussing the outcomes and reading into what other people are saying when the want something different than you do. The heart of DoW is a social game and that doesn't exist in solo play.

It's still a fine game and can be played solo, I've done it a couple times, but in the end it doesn't have the replayability or soul at solo as it does with a group.

ddw867 wrote:
(turn the dead/killed characters into zombies and there's your "traitor")

That's no substitute for the suspense that comes from thinking everyone is a traitor and tracking all their moves. Suspicion is the watchword of the game and just making dead characters zombies does nothing for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gilford wrote:
Actually, from a solo only perspective, the only thing you'd loose is traitor, which I don't like as an element anyway. I like the idea your dead characters become zombies, you can even make them more vicious/intelligent, or maybe more bandits-like instead.

Solo play tension can come from facing more obstacles, not a traitor (which ends up doing the same thing anyway).

Crossroads, I've mentioned before are a great individual moral choice addition, does not need to be "party" related. So a group votes, you you decide, it's still an extra choice layer on the game.... and if you want uncertainty, roll a die for each of your characters for yes/no - and majority rules.

I've not seen the problems raised over these two items.
Yes, they make it a party type game, but does it need to be?

If you're going to hand wave away the responses you asked for, what incentive does anyone have to reply? I told you my experience. You chose to dismiss all of it having never tried it yourself. I feel I don't have a reason to answer you anymore. It would just be dismissed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gilford wrote:
Donny, why you taking anything personal?

I'm simply responding where I'm coming from, my perspective based on what you replied. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

But am I not allowed to explain why my thinking is different from a response? Then someone can say why they think the same or set me straight?
You really took the last poster's comments apart, but no one got upset with that.

I was simply agreeing with the poster before you, and explaining why.

shake

I didn't take anything personally. I'm explaining why, if you're going to ask for people's opinions on something, you don't incentivize them to reply if you're going to dismiss what they have to contribute. Especially if they come from a place of experience and you don't. Your original post asks for information, not a debate.

I didn't take anyone's comments apart. I disagreed with one aspect of it, but I'm not the one asking for advice, you are. I found something in his post that didn't fit with my experience so I pointed it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.