Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Ninja All-Stars» Forums » General

Subject: A Few Questions About Clans, Shrine Ninjas, One-Off Games, and Balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,

I am currently waiting for a KS copy of this to arrive (Elemental Master) and have been reading through the forums trying to find the answers to these questions but have been unsuccessful; if anyone could help me out with the answers, I'd appreciate it. Here goes:

1.) Do the Shrine Ninja and Clan Ninja have the same or differing abilities/stats? I see mentioned many times that people wouldn't bother with buying the Shrine Ninja and would just use the Clan sculpts so I assume the abilities are similar but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere. If the abilities of Clan Ninja are similar to the Shrine but simply with added complexity, that's fine too.

2.) I also see people saying the Shrine Ninja are great for one-off games with friends. Im my situation I know I'll never be playing in a league so I'd be playing using the Clan Ninjas for individual games. If the answer to the first question was yes then this question is irrelevant. If not, do the Clans work just as well for this purpose?

3.) Would one use an entire Clan's minis for skirmishing purposes or must you pick and choose between a few? Like, would it be a fun and balanced game is we each used a clan and added the Clans' specific Ronin plus a neutral Ronin to each team or would be buy them based on points (league style) for balance's sake for a pick-up game, etc.? Or does each game mode limit the total number of figures you use per game type?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Millard
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kusanagi888 wrote:
Hello,

I am currently waiting for a KS copy of this to arrive (Elemental Master) and have been reading through the forums trying to find the answers to these questions but have been unsuccessful; if anyone could help me out with the answers, I'd appreciate it. Here goes:

1.) Do the Shrine Ninja and Clan Ninja have the same or differing abilities/stats? I see mentioned many times that people wouldn't bother with buying the Shrine Ninja and would just use the Clan sculpts so I assume the abilities are similar but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere. If the abilities of Clan Ninja are similar to the Shrine but simply with added complexity, that's fine too.

2.) I also see people saying the Shrine Ninja are great for one-off games with friends. Im my situation I know I'll never be playing in a league so I'd be playing using the Clan Ninjas for individual games. If the answer to the first question was yes then this question is irrelevant. If not, do the Clans work just as well for this purpose?

3.) Would one use an entire Clan's minis for skirmishing purposes or must you pick and choose between a few? Like, would it be a fun and balanced game is we each used a clan and added the Clans' specific Ronin plus a neutral Ronin to each team or would be buy them based on points (league style) for balance's sake for a pick-up game, etc.? Or does each game mode limit the total number of figures you use per game type?

1) They are different. Shrine ninja are like starter sets. Clan ninja are different.

2) These can be used for introductory games, and then you can build teams out of the Clan ninja later on for more complex games with friends.

3) You must pick a "team" of 100 points. Most game modes specify a certain amount of players on the board at one time, so anything remaining waits in the "dugout" till specific events in the match take place.

Hope this helped
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, that clears things up a bit. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kusanagi888 wrote:
Hello,

1. Shrine Ninja have similar stats, but each shrine is slightly different from the next, so you will find slight differences in stats, plus the special skills of the Leader (Chunin) and mystic (Madoushi) are always different. I know some players have played a full league using only the Shrine Ninja and Ronin.

2. The Shrine Ninja are certainly easier to use for teaching purposes and for "one-off" games, but it really depends on your gaming group. When introducing it to some of my hard-core gaming friends, we just jumped right into the clans.

3. Each Clan list has minimums and maximums of each Ninja type. You have 100points to purchase your starting group and earn more after each match. You can hire Ronin, but they have a purchase cost as well as an upkeep cost after each mission. Some of the upkeep costs are really expensive, but depending on your opponent, sometimes the right Ronin can really help. You may only hire them for one mission, just to throw a curve at your opponent.

I really enjoy this game a lot. I just wish I had more time to play it right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judith Groen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mb
Brian, you say you enjoy this game very much. I tried this game twice. I kickstarted it for a lot of money, and it doesn't seem to be worth it's money so far. Am I playing it wrong?

I played twice with the shrine ninja, we are experienced gamers, but we do like to play a game in easy mode the first time. We didn't get the combat at all, for example: why in the world would you attack while all the characters have move defence dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Millard
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Staunch wrote:
We didn't get the combat at all, for example: why in the world would you attack while all the characters have move defence dice?

Couple things.

First: Stealth. You get +1 atk die for it.

Second: Back atk and Team atk. Another +1 Atk die for each.

That right there is +3 atk dice for combining them.

Last: Cards are your friend to power yourself up.

With all of that said, sometimes you try for "luck" when you have less. The winning roller gets to pick the result dice, but if the luck is on your side, sometimes the only results for them to pick are Stun or Damage. Those go to them, even if they win the roll-off.

_
Example, I roll 2, you roll 3. 2 cancel each other out because of elements, all that is left is (forget element) die that damages defender. They take 1 damage and are out of the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Staunch wrote:
Brian, you say you enjoy this game very much. I tried this game twice. I kickstarted it for a lot of money, and it doesn't seem to be worth it's money so far. Am I playing it wrong?

I played twice with the shrine ninja, we are experienced gamers, but we do like to play a game in easy mode the first time. We didn't get the combat at all, for example: why in the world would you attack while all the characters have move defence dice?

I find the most important part of the game is position. You should really try to push/pull your opponent into a space in which you can gain support dice on further attacks. If your opponent has a high defense then Water and Air results are your friend! Try your best getting multiple attackers, back strikes and stealth attacks.

Don't forget stealth! The game is typically between 6-9 rounds and giving up one action to enter stealth can seem painful, but it can be really powerful. Once in stealth, even if you never make an attack, you can keep pressure on your opponent who will not want to turn his back on your sneak attack. In addition, some ninja have "stealthy" attacks (namely the Water and Spirit archers, curse them) allowing them to remain hidden unless you actively chase them down and make a search action.

I also highly recommend playing a variety of scenarios. Brawl is a good teaching scenario since the focus is strictly on combat. You will however, find that most of the other scenarios really require you to control the board as much as take out opposing ninja. Recently I played a four player game using the Search mission. Water and Air combat results were constantly used to remove enemies from around the crates that we had to search.

As mentioned earlier, also keep an eye on the cards you have access to and when they will receive their moon bonus. Some players in my game group have been able to form a really fantastic strategy based on a particularly nasty Moon card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.