Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Should Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham become the new base game of Elder Sign ?
Yes
No
      56 answers
Poll created by Kyur

Hey everyone,

according to the community's feedback, I guess it's safe to say that once you played Elder Sign with the Gates of Arkham expansion, you will never want to go back to vanilla Elder Sign, as the game is improved in so many ways.

This might sound radical, but I'm interested in what the community thinks:

would you prefer to have Elder Sign released with the components of Gates of Arkham right away, while getting rid of the core game's replaced components (vanilla adventure deck + mythos deck) ?

The only downside I can think of is, that the game becomes a bit less of a gateway game, as the complexity is increased just a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Not gonna happen, Patrice. They won't change a game in this way, and I don't think it's plausible to wait for a reboot of the line. Even if Gates is a better game than the core set, keeping things this way would mean people buying the core set to play with Gates, thus lowering the cash flow of the company. Not gonna happen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Not gonna happen, Patrice. They won't change a game in this way, and I don't think it's plausible to wait for a reboot of the line. Even if Gates is a better game than the core set, keeping things this way would mean people buying the core set to play with Gates, thus lowering the cash flow of the company. Not gonna happen

I'm absolutely aware of that (E see also how Forsaken Lore's curses/blessings are still a part of many newer cards), it's just a theoretical question of preference, which is "should", not "will".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:

FFG developed an entire new campaign for the 2nd edition of Descent: Journeys in the Dark and then included it into the base set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

I'm absolutely aware of that (E see also how Forsaken Lore's curses/blessings are still a part of many newer cards), it's just a theoretical question of preference, which is "should", not "will".

Not so sure I understand what Eldritch has to do with this, Pat... possibly you meant Unseen Forces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

FFG developed an entire new campaign for the 2nd edition of Descent: Journeys in the Dark and then included it into the base set.

Wait, you mean that the content of the 2nd edition box is now different than when the game was released?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Kyur wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

Not so sure I understand what Eldritch has to do with this, Pat... possibly you meant Unseen Forces?

Haha, yes, of course.

Scarlet Witch wrote:
Wait, you mean that the content of the 2nd edition box is now different than when the game was released?

From what I have seen, yes, they exchanged the campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

As Kyur stated, FFG re-wrote the rulebook to conform to the new style "Learn to Play" and "Rules Reference" format (can't remember if that is what they are called or not) and on top of that they swapped out the old Shadow Rune campaign book with the newly released Heirs of Blood campaign.

And didn't tell anyone about it. We only found out it when new users started to complain they couldn't play the Shadow Rune campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
As Kyur stated, FFG re-wrote the rulebook to conform to the new style "Learn to Play" and "Rules Reference" format (can't remember if that is what they are called or not) and on top of that they swapped out the old Shadow Rune campaign book with the newly released Heirs of Blood campaign.

And didn't tell anyone about it. We only found out it when new users started to complain they couldn't play the Shadow Rune campaign

I heard about it when the German version was announced and was quite surprised. The (German) publisher now lists Descent 2's core set as the "revised" and "expanded" core set.

So yes, this can happen -- but I don't expect this will happen with Elder Sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

As I understand it, it's just the booklets which are different, the components are unchanged. The number of cards required to be swapped in from Gates of Arkham here would be a much bigger change to make, and so seems much less likely, although perhaps not entirely impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:

Thanks, didn't know any of this. May I say it's rather sad? Not that they changed the components, but that they didn't tell anyone. They could have posted the campaign for free to download from their site, or something like that.

I'm honestly really pissed off by similar behaviours. A lot of time those who buy their products as soon as they are available find "bugs that will be fixed in reprints", like typos, or errors in the maps (one scenario in BattleLore has a missing ford for example and so on). I understand they can't send replacements home to all those who buy the first edition of a given set, but at least make the revised components free for everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

Yes, it is. There's a completely different campaign and quite a number of cards are changed, as well as certain parts of the rulebook; in some cases in quite game-changing manner. But that's nothing compared to the entirely different, supposedly vastly superior and completely unrelated to the old one campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.