Iksa Manggala Putra
Indonesia
flag msg tools
Can i display card to activate its effect in any step? or just in begining of turn?

For example, can i play "Potion of Beast Skin" by displaying it when i took a damage? or i must play it before i took damage?

What happen to displayed card in end of turn if card's text doesn't say what happen to the card in end of turn?

Example, Padrig Cohort Card. Its text doesn't say what happen to Padrig at end of the turn if it displayed. Can it is still displayed? or back to hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The potion could be used either before you have an encounter, or at any stage during an encounter where it would be preventing damage (during an encounter you may only play cards that have an effect on the current step of the encounter).

If a displayed card doesn't say what happens to it at the end of the turn, it stays displayed. In the case of Padrig, Balazar will normally display him immediately when the game starts, and he will remain displayed for the entire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iksa Manggala Putra
Indonesia
flag msg tools
medwards wrote:
The potion could be used either before you have an encounter, or at any stage during an encounter where it would be preventing damage (during an encounter you may only play cards that have an effect on the current step of the encounter).

So, For example, my character encounters Fiendish Tree, i can play Potion of Beast Skin to reduce damage before you act damage from fiendish tree, correct?

Can i play Potion of Beast Skin to reduce damage after you act from Fiendish Tree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Potion of Beast Sking wrote:
Display this card and choose a character at your location. While displayed, reduce Combat damage dealt to that character by 2. At the end of the turn, banish this card.

You can play this card anytime outside of an encounter, or at any point when a character at your location is being deal Combat damage. So, let's look at your Fiendish Tree question.

Among other things, Fiendish Tree wrote:
Before you act, the Fiendish Tree deals 1 Ranged Combat damage to you.
After you act, the Fiendish Tree deals 1 Ranged Combat damage to you.

So, when could you play this card? There are 4 possible times. Let's asume in all these case you play it and choose yourself, but it would be the same if you had chosen another character that ended up encountering the Fiendish Tree.

1. You could play it during the "before you act" damage. It would be in effect still if you failed the check and took damage and during the "after you act" damage as well, and for the rest of your turn, reducing any Combat damage (including Ranged Combat damage) you took by 2.
2. You could play it if you fail the check to defeat. It would be in effect still during the "after you act damage" and for the rest of your turn for any additional combat damage you might take.
3. You could play it during the "after you act" damage. It would be in effect for the rest of your turn for any additional combat damage you might take.
4. You might have played it before you even explored and ended up encountering the Fiendish Tree. When you ended up encountering the Fiendish Tree, it would be in effect for the "before you act" damage, any damage from failing the check to defeat, and for the "after you act" damage.

Regardless of when you play it, at the end of the turn, you banish it.

I hope that helps. Good luck on your adventure and try to avoid those Fiendish Trees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iksa Manggala Putra
Indonesia
flag msg tools
Wew, so Potion of Skin Beast is really useful. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm extending this to Arushalae's Gift. Since it can affect almost any check, can I hold it in my hand until someone faces a check where it would help, and then display it to give them that bonus (for the rest of the turn)? It seems like the answer is yes, which makes it much more powerful than if I have to commit it before knowing what check(s) are coming up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the answer is yes as well. If you look at a spell like Sagacity (the Wisdom one), you display that next to a character when they need a Wisdom boost, so the same process should be true for Arueshalae's Gift as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.