$30.00
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I somehow had no idea this game was even coming out! Now that I've read the rules and looked through the card spoilers, I'm super excited, but also a bit worried. I'd love to hear from people who have actually played the game on the thoughts below.

Things I like:
- All the episodes! It makes me super excited to have the episodes represented, in what seems a very faithful way, in the objectives. The film serenity and the comics have been fine, but the show is what I love first and foremost, and it's pretty much all here!
This is a big improvement over Alien and Predator, where I love half the source material (Alien, Aliens, Predator), and think the rest is mostly crap.
- Actually play as the characters! It was always a bit odd to me to play as a faceless soldier or executive in the other Legendary Encounter games. Why couldn't I be Ripley? The way they handled it here is great, with powerful talents and flaws to represent your character, while the others act as support.
- Serenity is sort of a character! This one might end up being less cool than I think. I still remember how unexciting managing your boat in Pathfinder: Skull and Shackles was. But the use of ship strikes that have ongoing effects and upgrades just sounds great!
- Inevitable Cards. I don't know if this is a common strategy, but I usually win my LE games by staying on objective 1 or 2 (whichever has the easier event) until the very end of the game, then rushing objectives to win. Very few of the objectives in either game discourage this strategy.
The new inevitable cards prevent this, and also nicely separate the episodes, so I'm not dueling Atherton while pulling off the train job. I love it, and might work out a way to back-map it to the earlier games.

Things I'm not sure about:
- No permanent death. In theory this sounds good. The all or nothing options in previous LE games never quite worked. I play mostly 3-hand solo, and never losing until all 3 characters died was too easy. Heck, I usually had an EASIER time winning with only one super deck when the others died. I've played with the alternative that you get one more set of turns after a character dies, but that's a bit too punishing.
I think if I combine the new healing rule with the new variant rule that you don't skip the bad part of defeated player turns, it might work out well.
- Mixing it with other LE games. It looks like you mostly can, but I doubt I'll want to. Predator and Alien have been placed in basically the same world, thanks to some terrible movies and decent comics. But I'm not sure I want Mal getting chest-bursted...
- Other "main characters". Maybe I missed it, but do the main characters that are technically "in play" when playing with fewer than 5 characters actually do anything, besides taking named strikes? I didn't see anything in the rules... Maybe it's scenario-specific?

Things I dislike:
- The art. Wow. Some of it is passable, but a lot of it is just hideous. No offense to the artists... I'm sure it's due to the publisher laying low and rushing deadlines more than the artists not having the chops to draw well.
Looking back at the other LE games, it's not like the art was ever uniformly great. Partly this is a consequence of loving Firely too much. If they get the random Doctor from Alien 3 wrong, who cares? But if Jayne doesn't look like Jayne (and he often doesn't) it's grating.
But familiarity aside, the quality seems to have hit a new low here. Like look at those strike cards. The one with Crow's knife in Mal's chest? Are you kidding me? Did they give th artist 1 hour to crank that out?
It seems crazy to say, but I am considering not getting the game just because of the art. And this is from a huge fan of the LE system and a huge fan of Firefly!


Any thoughts from those who have actually played it? Is the art not really that bad?
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with a lot of what you've said. I actually pulled it from my 'must buy' list (in my mind) due to the art. I'm going to wait it out and see if someone else buys it and I can play it/see the art in person. It says a lot because I love Firefly and really enjoy Firefly: The Game. I have every single expansion, the play mat and just bought The Broken Token Big Damn Crate to store it all in.

I have to agree that while previous LE's were not awesome art, for me, in Firefly as you said, some of the characters are barely recognizable and that ruins it a bit for me.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The art is a huge turnoff.

This went from must buy to likely won't buy.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do get main characters that just sit out, when playing with less players.



Yes the art is some of the worst I've ever seen. And in different styles. I was a big defender of art over stills. I didn't know this is what we'd get. I apologize.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you guys would turn down playing the greatest game in the world (not that this is that) if it had art that you didn't like? shake
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stills would have been worse. Chrck out the promos for Big Trouble with screenshots from the movie. Horrible stuff. The art is mediocre, but mechanically the game seems amazing. I won't get it as I am not a fan of Firefly and I do not like the artwork, but I think that fans of the 'verse should not lose the opportunity to play a very thrmatic, mechanically sound game jusy because the art is one ugly mess.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
So you guys would turn down playing the greatest game in the world (not that this is that) if it had art that you didn't like? shake

Yeah. Because if it doesn't have great art*, it's not the greatest game in the world.

*or just art that evokes the theme of the game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchstickman wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
So you guys would turn down playing the greatest game in the world (not that this is that) if it had art that you didn't like? shake

Yeah. Because if it does have great art*, it's not the greatest game in the world.

*or just art that evokes the theme of the game.
Not sure I follow. If it has great art, it can't be the greatest game in the world? Or did you make a typo? Either way, I don't agree But then I play PnP games and PnP prototypes, so clearly for me the gameplay is the most important thing. (Drinking greatest wine there is out of a beaker, rather than an exquisite crystal glass, doesn't change my appreciation of the quality of the wine, but if it is an exquisite glass, my aesthetic appreciation is greater. The wine itself, however remains the greatest wine. I'm continually amazed how shallow our appreciation of games is these days, with such an emphasis on quantity over quality and form over function.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Mykkanen
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
The art is a huge turnoff.

This went from must buy to likely won't buy.


Agreed. My biggest beef with the art is that the characters' look is inconsistent between cards from the same character. I can deal with Wash not looking like Alan Tudyk (though I hate it), but I have a real hard time getting past the different versions of Wash looking like different characters. Not to mention the different Mal cards. What were they thinking?!?

Went from a must buy to a probably won't buy for me too.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you say that art is a matter of quantity, not quality? Not sure where you got that... nobody cares about pnp games, since we are talking about games that you have to buy and games that you want to enjoy. The wine example also does not make sense in this context.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, nobody wants to hear condescending comments regarding how shallow we are because wr are disappointed with the artwork. Go back to your pnp crystal tower and leave us mortals bother with such trivialities
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
So you guys would turn down playing the greatest game in the world (not that this is that) if it had art that you didn't like? shake


Not at all. But, this is based on a known and loved IP. The art takes you out of a game when the characters don't look the characters.

First printing of Glory to Rome has horrific art, I played the snot out of that game, because the art didn't matter.

In this game/theme the art matters.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Babanov
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
- The art. Wow. Some of it is passable, but a lot of it is just hideous. No offense to the artists... I'm sure it's due to the publisher laying low and rushing deadlines more than the artists not having the chops to draw well.


Looking at the facial features of the same character changing greatly from card to card, and at the body parts being grotesquely out of proportions (especially for Inara), my vote is for subpar artist(s), What a waste soblue
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
So you guys would turn down playing the greatest game in the world (not that this is that) if it had art that you didn't like? shake


Not at all. But, this is based on a known and loved IP. The art takes you out of a game when the characters don't look the characters.

First printing of Glory to Rome has horrific art, I played the snot out of that game, because the art didn't matter.

In this game/theme the art matters.
Sure, I get that anything that little you out of theme is a negative. And I get that this is a much-loved IP that appeals directly to the Geek in all of us. There's a reason that I subscribed to the game entry here on BGG . I'm just surprised that folk can't look past the art to the game itself and that they need something more than something that merely evokes the images of the TV show and film rather than slavishly copying them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
jmathias wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
So you guys would turn down playing the greatest game in the world (not that this is that) if it had art that you didn't like? shake


Not at all. But, this is based on a known and loved IP. The art takes you out of a game when the characters don't look the characters.

First printing of Glory to Rome has horrific art, I played the snot out of that game, because the art didn't matter.

In this game/theme the art matters.
Sure, I get that anything that little you out of theme is a negative. And I get that this is a much-loved IP that appeals directly to the Geek in all of us. There's a reason that I subscribed to the game entry here on BGG . I'm just surprised that folk can't look past the art to the game itself and that they need something more than something that merely evokes the images of the TV show and film rather than slavishly copying them.


Well, the game is built on a themeless mechanism. So really the only thing making it Firefly is the art, and if the art fails, it's just another deck building game, and who needs that?

It's not a matter of looking past some poor art for a potentially great game. Upperdeck is showing us with both this and Big Trouble, that they are willing to rush and paste anything onto their engine to get it out the door. I would think they'd have learned that lesson from the first Marvel skin, that had the same art on all character cards making it really hard to play without a ton of double checking and clarifying.

Bottom line is, this could have been a HUGE seller had they worked on the art a little longer and got it "right". It'll still sell, telling them it was all good, and the next skin of Legendary will unfortunately be worse.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Villa
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
God, the art is HIDEOUS!

It's the main thing prohibiting me from buying it. Looking at it on the table while playing it would constantly bother me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
the next skin of Legendary will unfortunately be worse.


Buffy is so character driven too. :(

Atleast the board game of it looks great art wise. Hell even the gameplay looks pretty good.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
jmathias wrote:
the next skin of Legendary will unfortunately be worse.


Buffy is so character driven too.

Atleast the board game of it looks great art wise. Hell even the gameplay looks pretty good.


Yeah, it's on my radar, but I'm still weary 'cause I haven't enjoyed any of Jasco's other releases. And the designer doesn't have any other games I've heard of. But I'm hoping for something good!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
jmathias wrote:
the next skin of Legendary will unfortunately be worse.


Buffy is so character driven too. :(

Atleast the board game of it looks great art wise. Hell even the gameplay looks pretty good.


Yeah, it's on my radar, but I'm still weary 'cause I haven't enjoyed any of Jasco's other releases. And the designer doesn't have any other games I've heard of. But I'm hoping for something good!



My friend played it at gencon. He said it's like arkham horror light without dice.

Also, when the "gentlemen" come on the board you can't talk :)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Man, what's the deal? Do FFG and a few others just have a monopoly on good artists? As someone else said, for a crunchy Euro art might not matter nearly as much, but the Legendary games are very theme-heavy and that's usually the primary appeal. The decreasing quality of their art is really a bummer because gameplay-wise I feel like UD is like the good version of Cryptozoic in that they can crank out licensed properties but actually have the gameplay be pretty good. I hope they realize though that an art you can cross a threshold to where it's just so bad you start scaring away people who would otherwise buy the game.

I don't know what the answer is because I don't know what the economics and options look like, but just as a big fan of both UD and original art, I really hope they can somehow turn it around. This was a borderline title for me but I was going to get it just because I love the Encounters system, but will pass for now. Hope the next one does better in the art department.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
jmathias wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
jmathias wrote:
the next skin of Legendary will unfortunately be worse.


Buffy is so character driven too.

Atleast the board game of it looks great art wise. Hell even the gameplay looks pretty good.


Yeah, it's on my radar, but I'm still weary 'cause I haven't enjoyed any of Jasco's other releases. And the designer doesn't have any other games I've heard of. But I'm hoping for something good!



My friend played it at gencon. He said it's like arkham horror light without dice.

Also, when the "gentlemen" come on the board you can't talk


Oh, man that sounds great!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Varboncouer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I agree with everyone that the art is very disappointing. However, I personally dont find it significantly more disagreeable than a great deal of the Legendary Alien artwork. I found some of the artwork on that game quite jarring when I first opened the box. Many characters are not even close to being identifiable as their character from the movies. For instance, if you had never seen the Alien movies, you might assume based on the cards that Brother Dillon was actually an old, bald caucasian man. He was not.

I find the poor quality of the art from Legendary outside of Marvel to be puzzling but I dont think it will stop me from getting the game if the gameplay is good.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas / Tennessee
flag msg tools
When you gain this card from the deck, gain 2 Clues. ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno... It looks like they split the work amongst 3 different artists (at least) and let them run with their own style. "Mal", for example:


I'm at a loss for words, really, other than to offer respect to Kickstarter projects and indie game companies that have set the bar for art talent and art direction so high.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
So you guys would turn down playing the greatest game in the world (not that this is that) if it had art that you didn't like? shake


There are games where art and theme are just a critical element of the game. This is particularly true with an intellectual property driven game like Legendary: Firefly.

I've seen a number of games where the art was so important, but ended up being so awful, it made the game play, well, lackluster at best.

However, there are also games where the art doesn't matter at all, it just depends upon the game.

I agree here, the art is critical for this game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
jmathias wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
So you guys would turn down playing the greatest game in the world (not that this is that) if it had art that you didn't like? shake


Not at all. But, this is based on a known and loved IP. The art takes you out of a game when the characters don't look the characters.

First printing of Glory to Rome has horrific art, I played the snot out of that game, because the art didn't matter.

In this game/theme the art matters.
Sure, I get that anything that little you out of theme is a negative. And I get that this is a much-loved IP that appeals directly to the Geek in all of us. There's a reason that I subscribed to the game entry here on BGG . I'm just surprised that folk can't look past the art to the game itself and that they need something more than something that merely evokes the images of the TV show and film rather than slavishly copying them.


Well, I think the challenge is, its not like we're looking at a unique set of mechanics that someone expressly developed for a Firefly game. here we've got a set of mechanics that happens to lend itself to this universe. That's part of the Legendary system. Good generic mechanics that can be slapped onto any theme.

When you make this kind of mechanics decision, art matters. And I'm a huge fan of the Legendary mechanics, I play them all the time, both Encounters and Marvel. But I agree here, the art matters, a lot.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.