Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sara Fettle
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has asked and answered elsewhere.

The crayons are disappointing. I was thinking of using a plastic overlay and dry-erase markers instead. Any experience with that or better recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an excellent discussion of alternatives (keeping the existing boards) here: Best replacement crayon/marker

Dry-erase crayons seem to be the consensus best option, and I have enjoyed using them.

Some form of lamination might be better, but I don't think it could be better enough for me to be worth the extra hassle/cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use these, and they work great. I actually like them a little better than the ones that originally came with the game, because they're thicker. I tend to press hard when I draw on the board, and I broke several of the original crayons.

https://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Large-Erase-Crayons-98-5200/d...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
We used the dry-erase markers for a while but found that they can start leaving a shadow on routes that are used repeatedly (Hellesport to Bitter Waters for instance). We changed to the Crayola crayons Justin mentioned and are very happy with them. They mark easier than the originals and wipe off nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crayola Dry Erase crayons. No question. Don't waste your time with anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for the dry erase crayons.

We also put our maps in large poster sleeves or frames. They stay together nicely and you don't actually draw on the map. Saves some wear and tear.

Also, I noticed that at the map edges, even the best cleaning isn't always enough to remove all of the crayon. We've got some older maps that are "shaded" in the gaps along common routes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
sarafettle wrote:
Sorry if this has asked and answered elsewhere.

The crayons are disappointing. I was thinking of using a plastic overlay and dry-erase markers instead. Any experience with that or better recommendations?

We use wet erase markers on the laminated versions of the maps available from Mayfair (e.g., Empire Builder map) -- works great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.