Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Schleicher
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fortunate enough to get into a demo at GenCon, and wow, was I impressed. First, once we had a couple turns under our belt, we were able to play with few questions for the co-developer. Second, the game really flowed, and everything seemed to progress naturally and thematically (there were little-to-no "huh?" moments). Third, the gritty artwork (which is fabulous, btw) really fit into the theme of post-apocalyptic America.

Also, all of the guys working at the booth and demo-ing the game with us were super friendly, really down-to-earth, and very open to suggestions/thoughts/opinions from us demo-ers.

I have never backed anything until now. I am thoroughly impressed, and I cannot WAIT to have my copy in my hands. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to know. Thanks for the report. I am really tight with money right now, but I'm trying to hold on to my pledge. This gives me encouragement to keep hanging in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pako FuNkyBoY
Spain
Castelldefels
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wellcome Rob!!! I'm backer from Spain, too far from gencon
Le's make this boardgame real!!!
Can't wait to play it.
You so fortunate for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael edwards
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I backed as soon as I found out it was a thing. I love post apocalyptic games, but none of them I have ever played thus far had that thing that made it feel special. The description of this game seemed to capture that so I took a chance. Glad to hear some positive feedback from it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Did they give any hints as to how solitaire mode was played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Schleicher
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but I didn't ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
von wildensee wrote:

Did they give any hints as to how solitaire mode was played?

I have asked 3 times on the Kickstarter page now, but it seems they are ignoring the question. Strange. If I get some info I will post it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am very much awaiting a gameplay video, not one that immediately cuts to people telling the camera how great it is.

I would also love to hear from some blind play testers, coming from the wargaming world, play tests that always have the designer/developer sitting there ready to answer every question are likely not really playtested thoroughly enough.

This game really intrigues me, and I appreciate they put up the rulebook (which honestly I didn't find exactly clear, but generally ok), but I am waiting for a thorough game play video before I pull the trigger on this one.

Honestly there are some red flags, they keep touting that it has been playtested/developed for a decade - why then hasn't a mainstream publisher picked it up etc? No independent reviews. No proper gameplay video.

I can see their love and belief in the game, and I do so want to be convinced, as a player of Twilight 2000 RPG back in the day, this is right up my alley...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Pitcher
United States
Solon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason we haven't mailed it out to reviewers is that we only have a couple copies of Fallen Land. We will see if we can part with one copy for reviews.

There have been a couple blind play test. The only notable one was Amazing Superchat. We handed them the game a couple days before the interview. They played and gave their review.

Jon, Sean and Warren(our art director) were working on materials for GenCon and kickstarter. We were all hands on deck at GenCon and now that we are back the three of them are focusing on the videos. Running a kickstarter and going to GenCon at the same time was a bit of a Herculean task.

My main focus is clearing up those foggy elements in the rulebook. If you find anything that needs to be clarified feel free to let me know.

The original intent of the game was to share a post-apocalyptic adventure with your friends. That is where the role playing, action cards and story elements shine. Like you I enjoy having solo variants for games. Jon is working on solo play for the expansion. Both Jon and I are working on a solo variant to be include in the base set.

Don't worry when we have something to post on the solo variant you will be the first to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this game that has been playtested for a decade is not really done yet? That is to say, there is no solo variant yet, even though it is listed on the Kickstarter page? Unless I missed something here, I find that to be a really really red flag.

I am really on the fence with this one. Originally I skipped it because of some of the artwork seemed like the game was geared towards a very young audience (late teens or so). Then because of the uniqueness I returned, but as said, I am on the fence. Take the solo variant. If I understand correctly it has no been finished yet. It took 11 years to make the game, but the solo variant can be made in a few months? That does not seem right to me.

The fact that the solo is a "solo variant" is a red flag by itself. Often games with solo variants (i.e. games that are not specifically designed for solo play) are fairly weak to play solo.

But then again, the RPG nature of the game might make it fun. One thing for sure, if there is no actual, concrete solo information by the end of the campaign I am cancelling my pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Pitcher
United States
Solon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to elaborate. Over the years we have dialed back some of the more complex elements to reduce the learning curve and play time. They are elements we loved and play testers loved, but ultimately we had to put our darlings on ice. The game has been play-tested and tweaked over the years to smooth out mechanics, game flow, eliminate broken combos and optimize player interaction.

For example there was another town that was controlled by dice. That would also play against the players, it was pulled to reducing the game play. This element will be added as part of a future expansion. It will be especially useful as a solo variant. There were a couple other elements that could facilitate solo play that didn't work with multiple players.

Due to the nature of game many solo variants come to mind. The simplest variant I am working on is to spawn a Merc during the town business phase at a random town to pursue either the party, a resource, or the town itself. Then you have to chose between taking out the Mercs or perusing victory conditions. Jon has a variant he has played over the years. These just use the mechanics in place. The nice thing is that action cards have sell value, if you draw a card that is not useful you can just sell it.

Again thank you for your interest and enthusiasm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Bill, thanks for the courteous reply, and will be closely watching how the campaign unfolds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Luongo
msg tools
This just passed its funding quota so it's going live. Congratz to the designers.

I think the game looks interesting though set-up may be a barrier to heavy replay. That's an awful lot of cards and chits to organize each time out.

I hope I'm wrong about that and will find this hitting the table often enough to justify spending another $30 sleeving all the cards. I backed this primarily on knowing that these guys have put big chunk of their lives into it.

As to solo play? That's a bonus, but if I wanted solitaire gameplay I'd play Smallworld on my computer.

Games like this require other humans to be worth my time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pako FuNkyBoY
Spain
Castelldefels
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the card size is something like poker or magic, it's going to cost me 6€ to sleeve it all.
I have solved setup problem for SoB. So this game is gonna be easy too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Luongo
msg tools
funkyboy wrote:
If the card size is something like poker or magic, it's going to cost me 6€ to sleeve it all.
I have solved setup problem for SoB. So this game is gonna be easy too.

If you use penny sleeves, yes. But, I rarely do unless it's the only option -- i.e. Summoner Wars, Tiny Epic Games. Cards that get used a lot get either UltrPro or Dragon Shields and that would literally double the cost of this game.

But, if the game is great, then that's a price I'm happy to pay.

When I look at the condition of my Republic of Rome or Civilization cards from the 80/90's I cringe. They're in sleeves now, but those games rarely hit the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pako FuNkyBoY
Spain
Castelldefels
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have pathfinder ACG fully sleeved with penny sleeves and after over 70 plays I recommend for the price.

But of course it's up to you how much you want to pay. But it's not necessary to pay such quantity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Pitcher
United States
Solon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Setup time is not bad at all. The longest part is equipping your characters to maximize successes, even then equipment can be moved anytime as long as you are not in a encounter, an action card is in play, or your are in the middle of PvP.

To speed up setup I have each faction and type of chip in their own bag. Jon uses small glass jars to make it easier to contain, which makes setup and tear down quick.

I have one of the prototypes in clear dragon shields, mainly due to the cost to make the prototype I want to keep it presentable for play tests. I have used ultra pros for other games without an issue though. The only problem I run into with penny sleeves is that as the decks get larger they slide around more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pako FuNkyBoY
Spain
Castelldefels
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but I will definitively make a tray for the cards like I made before for SoB. So it's only take out of the box and play (shuffled of course lol).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Pitcher
United States
Solon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks like a tray made from foam core painted black. That looks really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pako FuNkyBoY
Spain
Castelldefels
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is. The cards are stored inside the box in this tray, and, when playing, I only have to take out of the box and put in on the table. No need to separate the decks and organize them. And so on when the games finishes.
The same will work with Fallen land, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Luongo
msg tools
CuTop wrote:
Setup time is not bad at all. The longest part is equipping your characters to maximize successes, even then equipment can be moved anytime as long as you are not in a encounter, an action card is in play, or your are in the middle of PvP.

To speed up setup I have each faction and type of chip in their own bag. Jon uses small glass jars to make it easier to contain, which makes setup and tear down quick.

I have one of the prototypes in clear dragon shields, mainly due to the cost to make the prototype I want to keep it presentable for play tests. I have used ultra pros for other games without an issue though. The only problem I run into with penny sleeves is that as the decks get larger they slide around more.

Don't misconstrue, I don't mind investing in setup time or sleeves. And yes, penny sleeves causing sliding is an issue.

If the game is great, neither of those things matter. And now that we have some feedback from backers who have played it I'm more excited to get my copy.

I love the enthusiasm of the designers and sometimes you invest in something simply because of the people involved. This is one of those projects. And I'm happy for y'all that you've gotten it funded. That's got to be really gratifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Lonngren
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Thank you!

Nothing is more important than you the players.

Cheers,

~Jon and Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Lonngren
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Hey, B. Schneider,

You have some valid questions. First of all, thanks for reaching out to us. There are a few articles on our website, like Little Village magazine's blind pkay test. Also, there are all of our Facebook reviews from blind pkay testers as well.

We kept this game pretty secret during its long developement. The playtesters also signed a non-disclosure agreement in order to playtest.

Yes, Fallen Land has been pkaytested for 9 of its 11 tears. No major game companies knew we were developing it. We decided it was in our best business interest to do things our way throughout this long process.

We are excited to finally reveal our game Fallen Land: A Pist Apocalyptic Board Game to the general publuc via Kickstarter. Although here in Iowa, it has been known by many for quite some time.

We are excited for you to play. We know you're going to love Fallen Land and we promise everything we gave claimed about our game is true. We also can't wait for you to get your copy so you can experience its many positive attributes for yourself. Thank you! And we appreciate your patience, patronage and support.

Cheers,

~Jon and Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.