Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Toot
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over in this thread about Ambush!, a gamer was asking for more information about how the soldier stats worked in the game, especially with regard to buying upgrade points. Other folks, myself included, said the story was more important than the stats. But the gamer gets a lot of enjoyment out of understanding the game mechanics and optimizing his experience. And, at this time, solo gaming is the only venue available.

Because I'm more about the narrative than the mechanics, I thought I'd throw out the question: what solo-able wargames are out there for people who like to geek out on the game's stats and mechanics? The game's interrelationships should be explainable and have a rational basis for how they work. Take a look at the thread for a better explanation, and any suggestions for the new gamer would be welcome. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobruk: Tank Battles in North Africa 1942 is a pretty zoomed-in view of mostly armoured combat on a one-counter-is-one-vehicle scale. Plenty of charts to consult, lots of dice to be rolled.
This was recently cleaned up & re-released as BRL 1192 (BRL = Ballistic Research Lab), but it doesn't seem to have an entry on BGG, yet.

Panzer and MBT (second edition) seem to work a similar angle, though I've not played them, only watched Hipshot's videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silent Victory, maybe, if I am understanding the question correctly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
badge
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
mbmbmbmbmb
There are few wargames which trigger the min-maxer in me. The Guns of Gettysburg at least triggers the puzzle solver in me. I guess that's not exactly the same as min-maxing, although it is related, and is often liked by the same kind of people (especially mathematicans, which I am). But this is not what I usually look for in wargames, because when I want min-maxing, eurogames are far superior to any wargame. As for solo games, I have tried a few, but the only one which is a really satisfying min-maxing/puzzle-solving experience is Mage Knight Board Game. It's not a wargame, but I think it is the only game which will give a satisfying solo experience for a true min-maxer/puzzle-solver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think any spec ops focused game would be the epitome of minmaxing.

Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game really appeals to fans of the 'load out' portion of mission planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
You might want to try Fleet Commander: Nimitz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Full campaign of Enemy Coast Ahead, perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.