Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmb
Keeping this spoiler-free but if you're someone who is super sensitive to even vague comments then just go play it. I think I liked it a bit more than the first one which was pretty awesome. I think the "story" of it made quite a bit more sense too, but I'm not sure anyone is buying these for the plot.

On to the comments.

The gf and I played the original a while back and it took us about 50-55 minutes or so? (we didn't get stumped but we didn't rush either) And another 5 minutes for the final puzzle.

This time around we added her sister and it took us 55 minutes for the "main part" and then well...blushwe quick solved the next puzzle but kinda got stumped on the final puzzle because of our stupidity. It should have been another instant solve but yeah, the less spoken of it the better.

What I really liked about the new one were the 4 small physical puzzles. I was impressed with them, maybe because I'm not strong at them, and they were probably pretty easy beccause I solved one, but I think they will throw some people for a loop.

The problem is still the linear nature of the puzzles.

One thing I find interesting is I think more players ADDS to the time because you simply can't all look at the puzzles at once, which is especially true with the phsyical puzzles. I feel even just adding a third player slowed us down a bit. Extra players might help if the difficulty level ever gets high enough that stumpings happen regularly, but at the current difficulty level, the extra players just get in the way.

If you've played the first one, it will probably be easy to find and solve the "hidden" puzzle. I'm a bit sad that one of the clues was more obvious than the others but it might still trick a few people.

Overall, I felt like this was a nice step up in variability, a slight step up in difficulty (but maybe not the first few puzzles are simple and then it could be my personal problems with these types of phsyical puzzles), but unfortunately still way too linear.

I would love some double-sized Escape the Rooms with multiple solveable puzzles at once...or even puzzles you can half-solve to help the half-solved puzzle. But as with other "new" experiences like TIME Stories, I'm willing to give them time to figure out what works best and what doesn't and to have occasional "high-difficulty" packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for review. The first one was a great family experience (my kids are ages 5, 7, and 12) but I'm concerned from the cover image that this is more in the horror genre, in which case I'm guessing it's not as family/kid friendly, so I won't buy it. Since you've played it, would you agree or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven
badge
mbmb
JYoder wrote:

Thanks for review. The first one was a great family experience (my kids are ages 5, 7, and 12) but I'm concerned from the cover image that this is more in the horror genre, in which case I'm guessing it's not as family/kid friendly, so I won't buy it. Since you've played it, would you agree or not?

The "story" of the game is that the spa youve won a trip to is creepy and they're doing tests on people. So there's some creepy pics of inmates you rescue from cells, so it has a slight horror tinge to it there, but I can't imagine any reason to not play with the family. I'm pretty sure that they intend for these to be family friendly, and any hints of "darkness" will always be just hints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to checking it out thanks for your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bet he's lots of fun at parties.
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it last week.

Our group blew through the first game in about half an hour. This one took us about twice as long - definitely 'harder' but still, IMO, not challenging enough. I hope they add variable difficulty or something in the future, but glad to see them moving in the right direction anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
"No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood."
badge
Small talk (noun): insincere questions and dishonest answers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a game that can only be played once?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
IamJacksUsername wrote:
Is this a game that can only be played once?

For the most part, yes. Once you know the solutions to the puzzles there's really no point in playing it again. However, you can reset all the puzzles and re-gift it, or host a game night for friends as a moderator and offer hints and suggestions. I've found that it's still fun watching other people come to the puzzle conclusions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it can be played with less than 3 players - can you play it solo, if you wanted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven
badge
mbmb
danaolson wrote:
So it can be played with less than 3 players - can you play it solo, if you wanted?

So far, the two Escape the Rooms have been pretty easy and very linear. Rather than the box suggestion of 3-8, I would ONLY play them 1-3 unless you're a parent bring through some younger children. They are completely playable solo, with the "issue" being if you do get stumped, you will stay stumped because you don't have someone to help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
stevelabny wrote:
danaolson wrote:

So far, the two Escape the Rooms have been pretty easy and very linear. Rather than the box suggestion of 3-8, I would ONLY play them 1-3 unless you're a parent bring through some younger children. They are completely playable solo, with the "issue" being if you do get stumped, you will stay stumped because you don't have someone to help you.

With the first one we ran into an issue with multiple children where only one could work on a puzzle at a time because the puzzles were so linear. All of the puzzles in that one were at most two-player puzzles (as long as you wanted to get cozy with the other player) but that becomes a problem when you have siblings and one wants the attention of the puzzle-solving adult or "their turn". We found that playing through the first one over several dinners helped a lot after an initial misstep because that gave busy hands something to do when not solving a puzzle. We also had to invent work like "can you make a list of all the colors and numbers you see on this page?" Even if they didn't contribute to the actual puzzle we tried to make the tasks common to other kinds of puzzle-solving activities.

Even with some bickering we're still excited to play through the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.