Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Junfeng Liang
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
1. Can I use gold crystal at night?
2. Can I use motivation to draw 2 cards after been paralyzed or knocked out?
3. Can I move after interaction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Reaves
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Unless you have and play Amulet of the Sun that turn, no. You can occasionally use gold mana dice as mana of any basic color, or use a gold mana die as a black mana, but the card/skill that allows such things will say so explicitly.

2. Yes. Tovak's I Feel No Pain skill works too. Being knocked out/paralyzed only causes you to discard all non-wound deed cards--you can still use skills/units/mana as you will, and any cards you previously played with lingering effects stay active.

3. No. Movement must be completed before taking an action, and interaction with a site is an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
First up, there's a difference between "crystals" and "pure mana". Crystals are in your inventory and can be used up whenever you wish. Pure mana disappears at the end of the turn.

Gold and black mana only exist as pure mana. You also can never use gold mana during the night or black mana during the day. Note that some areas like dungeons always operate under night-time rules.

This can all be found on page 5 "Using Mana" of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jacobier wrote:
1. Can I use gold crystal at night?

First things first, there are no gold crystals. Only basic mana may be converted to crystals. See the difference between mana tokens and (mana) crystals:
Rulebook, p. 5, Using Mana wrote:
There are four basic colors of mana in the game (red, blue, white and green). The mana can be in two forms:
a. Pure mana. This is represented by a mana die or by a mana token in a player’s play area. When gained, it has to be used before the end of the player’s turn, or it disappears.
b. Crystals. These are represented by a mana token in the player’s Inventory (on his Hero card). Up to three tokens of each basic color can be stored there.

Gold or Black exist only in pure form:
There are two special colors (gold and black) that can be in pure form only (there are no gold and black crystals).

And to answer your question:
Gold mana can never be used at Night.

=============================

jacobier wrote:
Short answer: no. You may be confused, because others have told you 'yes'. Well... it depends on when you want to use that skill. You are implying during combat, which is not possible.

Motivation can be used only between two of your turns or at the start of your turn. Definitely not during combat.
Motivation skill wrote:
Once a Round, on any player's turn: Flip this to draw two cards.

Tovak's I feel no pain... is another skill that can save you from a knock out, but you cannot use it during combat. The card erroneously lists the skill as special
, instead as a healing skill
'I feel no pain...' skill wrote:
Once a turn, except during combat: Discard one Wound from hand. If you do, draw a card.

Nevertheless, both skills may help you to quickly recover at the beginning of your turn by avoiding a slow recovery. Draw a card, then do a standard rest action. Nevertheless, they are useless during combat. As far as I am concerned, there is no way to recover during combat from a knock-out.

=============================

jacobier wrote:
3. Can I move after interaction?

No. First you move (or not), then you perform your action (or not).

Rulebook, p. 5, A Player's Turn wrote:
5. Playing a Regular Turn has two voluntary parts: movement, and action.
a. First, you may (but do not have to) move. You may reveal new map tiles during movement. See the “Movement” section later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Keys
Australia
flag msg tools
Picon wrote:
First things first, there are no gold crystals. Only basic mana may be converted to crystals. See the difference between mana tokens and (mana) crystals:

Gold mana can be converted to a crystal of a basic colour using crystalize.
and there are a couple of cards skills that would allow you to do the same with black mana.

But no black or gold crystals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:

jacobier wrote:
Short answer: no. You may be confused, because others have told you 'yes'. Well... it depends on when you want to use that skill. You are implying during combat, which is not possible.

Motivation can be used only between two of your turns or at the start of your turn. Definitely not during combat.
Motivation skill wrote:

Do I not count as a player? 'any player' should include me. So I see no reason why I should not be allowed to use motivation during my turn. That I can use it during your turn too is mainly for PvP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
jacobier wrote:

Motivation skill wrote:

You can definitely use Motivation on your own turn. (You might be thinking of pillaging a village.) Based on the rules as written, you should be able to use it during combat; unlike I Feel No Pain the skill description doesn't disallow this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sikati
Cameroon
flag msg tools

No.
it is pointless to say "on any player's turn" if it includes you. Just saying "once a round: flip this to draw to cards" will have been enought.

No motivation's usage during your turn, in fact neither during a combat that involves you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bart_aus wrote:
Gold mana can be converted to a crystal of a basic colour using crystalize.
and there are a couple of cards skills that would allow you to do the same with black mana.

But no black or gold crystals.
Well, yes. We are not contradicting each other. There are no gold/black crystals. You may use gold as any basic color during the day, but what you do with it (crystallize it, etc) is another story.

=================

Fluxx wrote:
Do I not count as a player? 'any player' should include me. So I see no reason why I should not be allowed to use motivation during my turn. That I can use it during your turn too is mainly for PvP.
I have already mentioned: during another player's turn or before your own turn. Let's see the big picture...

1. Some Tactic cards, Skill tokens and the village Description card offer you options that are labeled as “before your turn” or “on another player’s turn”.
a. For game purposes both of these are the same. You can play them while others are playing, or just before your turn.
Note: You can use effects playable “on another player’s turn” before your first turn, even if you are the first player to play this Round.
b. These effects usually allow you to draw cards from your Deed deck. The following conditions (whether the draw deck is empty, whether you have cards in your hand) are checked after these actions are completed.

The rulebook is crystal clear in that: A Motivation skill may only be played just before your turn. It works exactly like plundering a village. Note, that you can use Motivation during PvP if another player attacks you, but you have to do it before taking your turn. In fact, even before deciding whether you are either attending fully or partially; for more, please consult the relevant PvP section of the rulebook.

But, to answer the OP's question, it's forbidden during combat.

=================

StephenV wrote:
You can definitely use Motivation on your own turn. (You might be thinking of pillaging a village.) Based on the rules as written, you should be able to use it during combat; unlike I Feel No Pain the skill description doesn't disallow this.
Please see the previous excerpt of the rulebook, where it's clear that one may not play Motivation during his turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your quote from the rulebook talks about 'another players turn' but motivation can be used during 'any players turn'. That are two different things. 'Any player' is not exclusive to the player using it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
Your quote from the rulebook talks about 'another players turn' but motivation can be used during 'any players turn'. That are two different things. 'Any player' is not exclusive to the player using it.

So, which are the mentioned "some Skill tokens", if not the Motivation ones?

1. Some Tactic cards, Skill tokens and the village Description card offer you options that are labeled as “before your turn” or “on another player’s turn”.

I believe we are just trying to play with the words in order to gain an advantage. I'd pretty much like to use Motivation during combat, but the rulebook is clear: for the game's purposes the motivation skill is "before your turn" or "on another player's turn". If there's an exception, I'd like to see the corresponding excerpt from the rulebook or an FAQ. Now, the wording on the skill description cards is misleading, I would agree. But the rulebook leaves no ground for misinterpretations: "these effects usually allow you to draw cards..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I can't believe this has gone on so long. Picon, you are wrong, and here's why:

the rules wrote:
USING SKILLS
4. Skills are of three basic types:
a. Skill tokens with this symbol can be used only once a
Round, on your turn (except the Motivation skill, which can
also be used during other player’s turns).

That is unambiguous, unlike all the arguments applying "on another player's turn" to the phrasing "on any player's turn". They are two different things. I agree that since there aren't any skill tokens using the phrasing "on another player's turn" you might be tempted to apply that ruling to Motivation, but the text I quoted above surely can't be argued against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
OK, I can't believe this has gone on so long. Picon, you are wrong, and here's why:

the rules wrote:
USING SKILLS
4. Skills are of three basic types:
a. Skill tokens with this symbol can be used only once a
Round, on your turn (except the Motivation skill, which can
also be used during other player’s turns).

That is unambiguous, unlike all the arguments applying "on another player's turn" to the phrasing "on any player's turn". They are two different things. I agree that since there aren't any skill tokens using the phrasing "on another player's turn" you might be tempted to apply that ruling to Motivation, but the text I quoted above surely can't be argued against.
Hey Ben. I was just looking into this excerpt as well, and I am inclined to think that the phrase "can also be used" implies that you can use Motivation at any time during your own turn, as well. Fair enough, I can see that the rulebook implies that Motivation may be used at anytime, I could go as far as also letting Motivation be used like that in my games, but I am still not 100% sold in that. It's probably just me, but drawing cards after being knocked out, essentially cheating out the system, feels ... "wrong".

Again, so as not to be misinterpreted: after reading threads dating back to 2012 onwards and reading the rulebook, I am inclined to agree that it's not prohibited to use Motivation "at any time", but it still feels wrong to me. Oh well, I guess I'll just live with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.