GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Mare Nostrum: Empires» Forums » Rules

Subject: What if someone is left out of trading? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hello,

I couldn't see if anyone asked this question. What if no one trades with someone during the trade phase. Is that still considered even?

Let's suppose it's a four player game and three of the players decide to leave one player out of trading completely by trading with each other alternating. Does that count as even trading for the fourth player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
If trading is forced to stop you take all the remaining tokens in front of you back and the trade leader gives away the extra piece to whoever needs it. The rules do cover this but I don't have them in front of me to check the page..sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shipley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation you describe could arise if everyone is attempting to stop the 4th player from, for example, building the Pyramids. After the 3 other players have taken all resources on offer from each other, the Trade Leader would have to end by taking an offered resource from the 4th player. Since there would not be any available resources for the 4th player to take in return, the Trade Leader would be left with an extra resource, so rule 2.2.1 would apply, and the Trade Leader would have to give a resource from his supply to the 4th player that was left out of trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Part of what makes Mare Norstrum such a clever game is that it is very possible for someone to be very close to winning yet be stalled for turns if the opponents are smart enough.

Something I've seen happen rather regularly is for someone (Usually Carthage) to get to 4 heroes... then to hit a complete brick wall. No one is willing to trade with him at all unless he only have duplicates available to him.

I've seen several Carthage players make this "mistake." They think they'll be able to rush 5 heroes after having turn after turn at 8~10 unique resources that the final hero will just land in their lap. Then it completely dries up. By getting themselves so close to victory they alienate themselves from being able to finish the job and paint a huge target on themselves. It's actually quite brilliant the way it works out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Part of what makes Mare Norstrum such a clever game is that it is very possible for someone to be very close to winning yet be stalled for turns if the opponents are smart enough.

Something I've seen happen rather regularly is for someone (Usually Carthage) to get to 4 heroes... then to hit a complete brick wall. No one is willing to trade with him at all unless he only have duplicates available to him.

I've seen several Carthage players make this "mistake." They think they'll be able to rush 5 heroes after having turn after turn at 8~10 unique resources that the final hero will just land in their lap. Then it completely dries up. By getting themselves so close to victory they alienate themselves from being able to finish the job and paint a huge target on themselves. It's actually quite brilliant the way it works out.

That's exactly what happened to me in my first game. I quickly got to 4 heroes and was 1 resource away from building the pyramids. Then the rest of the players jumped on me and I just couldn't get the resources to go over the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wario83 wrote:

That's exactly what happened to me in my first game. I quickly got to 4 heroes and was 1 resource away from building the pyramids. Then the rest of the players jumped on me and I just couldn't get the resources to go over the top.

Why didn't you just buy a 5th hero? You should have been able to if you were only 1 away from buying the pyramids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reimius wrote:
Wario83 wrote:

Why didn't you just buy a 5th hero? You should have been able to if you were only 1 away from buying the pyramids.

I think what happened was that he was 1 resource away from being able to buy the pyramids, so he bought a 4th hero, at which point the other players acted to prevent the 5th hero being bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.