Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven F
United States
wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure the answer is 'no' but thought I'd ask before I try making one myself.

Does there exist, or has there ever existed a plastic/acrylic sleeve into which a typical wargame counter can be socketed into, thereby turning it into a well protected, easy to handle game piece?

I'm thinking of it as being something like one of those plastic keychain fobs like the ones shown below, except clear, and square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nothing specific I can point at, but a while back I was looking at coin protectors as a possibility for making pnp counters and chips - but it was just easier to just make them using cardstock and full sheet mailing labels or bingo winks, full sheet mailing labels, and a circular paper punch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard of such a thing; to be honest, it seems like it would be clunkily impractical (both for stacking counters and for fitting them into hexes), and rather expensive, to "sleeve" hundreds of counters in rigid plastic objects like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mb

Not that this helps, but back in the '80s there were individual magnetic counter holders. The magnetic part was to prevent stacks of counters from tipping.

If I can find the advertisement in an old S&T or Wargamers Digest, I will upload it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone (probably at ConsimWorld) had the habit or buying an extra set of double sided counter sheets and gluing the counters together for ease of handling a thicker piece. I can't recall anything else but various ways of keeping a stack together or magnetic holders for maps hung on the wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hobbs
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

created and successfully ran a Kickstarter last year for a completely new version of the magnetic counter holders of yore. Here's the thread announcing his new design here on BGG.

Not sure what the current availability of them are; looks like he intended to begin a store after the Kickstarter ended but I can't find evidence of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people spray counters with Krylon or other clear sealants to protect them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven F
United States
wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I've never heard of such a thing; to be honest, it seems like it would be clunkily impractical (both for stacking counters and for fitting them into hexes), and rather expensive, to "sleeve" hundreds of counters in rigid plastic objects like that.

I wan't to do it for a low counter count game Not War But Murder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.