Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

For those of you who have never/rarely played the original, do you find that the use of the app actually makes learning the rules of the game easier?

It seems like it would, if nothing else by it not letting you do as many things wrong by the player overlooking some rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. There are no rules queries in the app. The app does not control or check if anything you do on it is a legal move.

For instance, if you want to explore the entire house and click on every token without ever ending your turn, you actually can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The app doesn't play the game for you (a la Golem Arcana) so there are some rules to read and you are expected to not cheat (very easy to do if you want). Also, there is no "tutorial." That being said, the game is very easy to learn and easier to teach, as the app takes care of all the rules dealing with bookkeeping and such.

Much easier than 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've also made a few basic errors we couldn't take back. Explored the wrong room or fat fingered a puzzle move. An "Undo" button would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It made it easier to "jump in". We just started without even reading the Learn To Play guide, then we'd have a question: What do we do? Read it in the LtP. How do we use these question mark tokens? LtP. Oh monster, how do we attack? How does it attack? etc.

Also, with the app there are a handful fewer decks to manage, so that helped jumping right in too.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had the original game and all of the big box expansions since they came out. I had never played the game. Tried several times but would always get lost in the details and everyone just got board with my struggling.

I got second ed. on Thursday, skimmed the rules and played my first game. Easy! So yes it's much easier to get up and going. I just wonder if I had gotten going in first ed. would I find the game play better than with the app? I probably will never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks everyone.

I should be getting my copy in the mail late next week.

Can't wait to give it a go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules of 2E are not even remotely the same as 1E.

I have all of 1E and this version is much much better in just about every way I can think of. And the rules are much much simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
The rules of 2E are not even remotely the same as 1E.

I have all of 1E and this version is much much better in just about every way I can think of. And the rules are much much simpler.

This is exactly what I was hoping to read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
We've also made a few basic errors we couldn't take back. Explored the wrong room or fat fingered a puzzle move. An "Undo" button would be nice.

There should never be a turn based digital *anything* without this option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
There should never be a turn based digital *anything* without this option.

While it's hard to disagree with this, we all know players who we'd love to deny the 'undo' action whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.