10 Posts

Talon» Forums » Variants

Subject: Guesses about the first expansion? (Romulans!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me say I love this game and we've been playing the hell out of it since we got it on Thursday. I played SFB in the 80s, bought FC but never got it to table, and Talon is exactly the game I hoped it would be.

I keep checking daily to see if there's any more discussion, so here's something:

I saw a rumor that an expansion is already under development or testing, so can we assume it will have a new faction that's comparable to the Romulans? If so, what would it look like mechanically?

I'm thinking:

* plasma torpedo:
- two (or three) red boxes, three or more yellow;
- operates like a missile with six damage that decreases one per impulse (each torp counter is lettered like shield reinforcements).

* cloaking device:
- one or two single-use boxes like afterburners;
- cannot fire or be targeted while under cloak; moves normally, not hidden.
- lasts for up to six impulses: place a lettered cloak counter on your ship
- expires or can be cancelled at the end of your turn, so initiative player gets first shot after a ship comes out of cloak.

* ship designs:
- power curve: +1 AP, -1 speed, -1 turn versus comparable ships; slower top speed, more power for charging plasma and reinforcing shields.
- equal shields on all four facings, fewer shield boxes than comparables
- more hull points, fewer crits than talon, slower to FTL spin up.
- smaller ships hold single plasma torp; larger ships add one or two phasers, and finally a second plasma torp; DN holds three torps, but struggles to charge them all.

Just ginning up some conjecture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man - I really want to get a copy of this game but I'm reluctant to pay $60+ for it ... guess i am being a cheapskate ... but I have so many games now that storage is an issue :/

Hopefully they will reprint it. Sounds like a blast and the user-made content for it could be incredible.

Sorry for thread-jacking - I read about this game a lot and wonder if I should get it even though I mostly just want more time to play X-Wing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Colling
United States
VICTOR
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out BUY A COPY...there some listed for 40 bucs or so...alas shipping costs are out of this world price wise...I hate shipping costs!

Dyslexic t-shirt:
Dyslexics
untie!

PS: I'm dislexick myelfs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
Kinston
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate when people make money off shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert baynosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this game is well worth 60usd, just saying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just heard about Talon so I don't have a copy - patiently waiting for the reprint. When I heard that two additional races were being worked, on a plasma torpedo type weapon was the first thing that came to mind for one of the races. Drawing on SFB some more, an option for the heavy weapon of the other race could be an enveloping type of energy like the Hydran Hellbore. That would give each race a unique heavy weapon, Terran - WMG, Talon - Fusion Cannon, Race 3 - plasma torpedo type, Race 4 - enveloping energy. The type of weapon that each fleet fields will impact the tactics employed by each race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the plan is that each empire has a unique weapon and a unique ability.

Terran - WMG and the Battery
Talon - Fusion Cannon and the Afterburner

Of course there are other nuances also. The Talons have two Criticals, more maneuverable, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterhit wrote:
Man - I really want to get a copy of this game but I'm reluctant to pay $60+ for it ... guess i am being a cheapskate ... but I have so many games now that storage is an issue :/

Hopefully they will reprint it. Sounds like a blast and the user-made content for it could be incredible.

Sorry for thread-jacking - I read about this game a lot and wonder if I should get it even though I mostly just want more time to play X-Wing

Already started

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/131311/talon-star-fle...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1582680/star-trek-talon...

The Talon 1000 expansion will really increase the opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"She comes out of the Sun in a silk dress runnin' like a watercolor in the rain."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mpowers wrote:

* cloaking device:
- one or two single-use boxes like afterburners;
- cannot fire or be targeted while under cloak; moves normally, not hidden.
- lasts for up to six impulses: place a lettered cloak counter on your ship
- expires or can be cancelled at the end of your turn, so initiative player gets first shot after a ship comes out of cloak.

In the Talon universe this will be renamed the WinDaGame device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It turns into a fight over electronic warfare (initiative) to see who gets first shot coming out of cloak, which is thematic. And one or two use limit means you need to hit your alpha strike or you're at a disadvantage when it's gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.