Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's something that I don't think is explicitly covered in the rules, unless I missed it. During a manoeuvre, can you drop troops off along the way, or must all troops that start the manoeuvre together end it together?

In the midst of our game today, we decided that you could drop them off, because thematically, why not? But I'm not sure that was right... Thematically, this would also mean that you could pick up extra troops along the way, but I'd have a much harder time justifying that interpretation of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
So here's something that I don't think is explicitly covered in the rules, unless I missed it. During a manoeuvre, can you drop troops off along the way, or must all troops that start the manoeuvre together end it together?

In the midst of our game today, we decided that you could drop them off, because thematically, why not? But I'm not sure that was right... Thematically, this would also mean that you could pick up extra troops along the way, but I'd have a much harder time justifying that interpretation of the rules.

I think the standard risk rule is that all troop have to end up in the same territory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No drop-off or pick-up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, but can you point to somewhere in the rules that confirms that?

Or, I suppose it's just one of those "it doesn't mention that you can, so you can't" things, which is fair enough. We'll probably clear that up in our next game.

I'm not unhappy about allowing the drop-off in our first game though. It benefited one of our number who doesn't normally enjoy these sorts of games and was enjoying it this time, and you've got to do what's necessary to encourage that sort of thing, right?

Said person still came dead last, btw, but had fun doing it, which is what really counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule from page 11.
"Relocate any number of army units from one territory you control to ONE OTHER territory ( up to two territories away) already under your control or in dispute."

So actually the rules are clear. Move units from One territory to One Other territory. Not 1 or 2 other territories. Definitely no other pick ups along the way either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rosenberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a strict read of the rules suggests that you cannot pick up or drop off troops along the way. If you want to justify the apparent illogic of that, maybe think of it this way:

Each of the territories is huge - thousands of square miles. And it's the middle ages -- so coordinating merging armies as you move through a territory is really difficult. You're ordered from Berlin to Paris, and you go there but the troops in Lorraine may be in border forts, or along the northwest border, or who knows where...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.