Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Was your first game ruined by a problem with the app? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
My copy of the game will arrive right before my weekly game night. There are enough reports of bugs in the app that I am nervous about bring the game and the group having a negative first impression if there is a problem with the app.
Was your first game ruined by a problem with the app?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
No
80.0% 104
Yes, iOS
16.9% 22
Yes, Android
3.1% 4
Yes, Amazon Kindle
0.0% 0
Voters 130
This poll is now closed.   130 answers
Poll created by elitusprime
Closes: Thu Sep 8, 2016 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've only played the first, "short" mission though. I've heard other missions have problems...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 3 times now and the app runs very smooth. I encountered no issues at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Fuqua
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played it yesterday with no problems. If you want to play it safe use a 1.0.1 version like what's on Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played on Windows, Android and iOS and had no problems yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't you missing Mac OS X and Windows (Steam) from that list?
Also, if you want to correlate results you would probably want to have a "No" choice for each supported OS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Steam version missing from the poll?

Anyway, I've posted some instructions on how to backup/restore your saved game on the Steam(PC) version of the app, in case anyone finds them useful eg. if you have to end a long session part-way through, since FFG are recommending against doing that for the moment!

Worst case, if you come back to the game & it messes up later on, you could maybe try to continue from your earlier backup and try doing something different, or maybe even submit the save file to FFG to help them fix a bug you've identified.

I didn't want to spam the link around various threads, but since this discussion might attract people having trouble with the app... in case anyone missed this thread, give it a try...

Re: Saved Games on Steam/PC Version

WARNING: it involves backing up/restoring part of the Windows Registry, which can be dangerous if you're not careful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the Android app. The only problem I had was I had to leave about halfway through the game and saved it. When I came back I could not resume the game. This is the one problem they have not yet been able to fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The second mission has a bug, the rest seem stable so far (from using steam and ios)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all 4 on Steam and have had no significant game-ending/disrupting bugs. In one scenario I got a dialogue option that had no description and instead said "GOOD_FINALE_COMPONENT" which I didnt' click on for obvious reasons, and then sent a bug report.

But it has been a truly one-of-a-kind and amazing gameplay experience so far. My last game was so cinematic, I will never look at Sister Mary the same way again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game (first scenario) was "ruined" since I saved and didn't know there were problems with the save system (the gamed became unresponsive after loading the save). Thankfully I hadn't gotten too far inte the scenario.
Replayed it in one go without a problem after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kime
United Kingdom
Brimfield
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My first game was lost because of the save problem. Just played a second game straight through. No problem apart from losing the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Shmo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avoid the Innsmouth scenario for time being and you'll be fine, in my experience to date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing resulting from this survey is that some players encountered problems, and others didn't. Are they playing the same game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was fine, but the second locked up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
HisDivineShadow wrote:
Aren't you missing Mac OS X and Windows (Steam) from that list?
Also, if you want to correlate results you would probably want to have a "No" choice for each supported OS.

You are all completely correct. My apologies for the missing options. It was my first poll. I'll do better next time.

Flawed as the poll is, the results do make me feel better about taking the game this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kime
United Kingdom
Brimfield
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
The only thing resulting from this survey is that some players encountered problems, and others didn't. Are they playing the same game?

There are issues if you try to resume a saved game. FFG have now acknowledged that this is the case for scenario one. So if you save and resume the game, it's bugged. If you play straight through, it's not. (I'mn my experience)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I had my 1st serious bug tonight, on the 1st play of scenario 2, with the Steam version and yes, it's the latest version... so there's still bugs even after the patch and the PC version is by no means a guarantee of smooth play.

I did manage to get around the problem. Basically the game effectively froze during the monster activation step of the Mythos phase. The only buttons that would work were the main menu... but not 'Save & Quit'.

If this happens to you DO NOT select 'End Game'. Crash the programme instead. Force close it with Windows. Then restart and click 'Continue'. The game does autosave and we were able to resume from the beginning of the Mythos phase with no progress lost at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. We played Escape from Innsmouth and after we had all the evidence and had tried to attempt to escape, it bugged out during the mythos phase. We were over 2hrs in and while we were both disappointed, it did not turn me off from the game. It was still an awesome experience. Since the set up was so fast, it was not that disappointing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Shmo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
grahamj wrote:

I haven't heard of anyone succesfully completing Escape from Innsmouth without encountering the lockup bug near the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Shmo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
and by that I mean winning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
sleaford wrote:
and by that I mean winning!

Maybe you aren't supposed to win...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmb
Its my understanding that one of the later scenarios was always crashing on the 1.0 version of the software which has already been corrected with an update everywhere except IOS because it has to clear Apples review procedure which they expect to happen by Tuesday.

They've also said that there are save game issues so for now you may want to play in one sitting until they fix it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Shmo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The lockup in scenario 2 is still there on v1.01

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My issue was an interpretation error I feel compelled to pass on. When an investigator dies, you tell the game "An Investigator died". This means you have another round to finish the game with anyone left or you lose. We had one of two die and the choices in the prompt were "end game" or "cancel". Innately I rejected cancel because it means "nevermind" to me in computer speak. Unfortunately, it means I hit "end game" out of reflex and it ended the scenario.

I fully admit it was my fault, but an "are you sure" prompt would have been appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.