Popular Tags: [View All]
Lionel
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

So I really liked the theme of 10' to kill and really wanted to enjoy it, but we played 3 games and it really fell flat. I actually wondered if we were doing something wrong.

We played with 5 people (and the expansion tiles). Our main issue with the game is that as soon as someone started to kill someone, everyone started to hunt him down.

I felt that having 3/4 suspects when doing a kill was somehow a good safe range, but that's actually worthless when 4 people are trying to guess who you are after your turn.
If among those 4 suspects players have some in their targets, they basically can narrow you down to 1 or 2 pretty easily.
And as there is no penalty for guessing wrong, our turns were basically:
P1- Kill
P2- "your killer is this one" / no
P3-"then it is this one" / no
P4 - "this one?" / yep

And that's even worse when P2 gets a lucky guess from the beginning.
Guessing someone's identity is far more valuable than killing targets as it is worth the same points amount, is riskless, and kick one player out of the game.

Well, not out of the game exactly, as now the eliminated player is doomed to spend the game guessing semi-randomly, which only increases the initial issue.

Am I missing something? I can see the game working with 2, but more... I don't see how that can possibly work.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know you can't guess unless a cop is on the same tile as the suspect? If one kill happens there would be only one cop on an empty tile. Everyone would most likely have to waste one action to move and only get one guess. If the suspects that ran away from the first kill were all placed in one area then I guess the next player would get away with more.

It would largely be a waste for the other players and honestly if that was how everyone was playing I'd just kill my 3 targets in 3 turns if possible and call game over.

I do feel the game needs a few more animals on the board to make it a little more confusing. Using logic you can sometimes make out who is who but if all the animals are mixed up enough it's pretty confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deena Pilgrim
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3/4 suspects is not enough for a clean kill.
But in your example, player 2 doesn't play cleverly, because he has a low chance to find the killer. By trying to find him nonetheless, he earns no point and narrows the number of suspects for the players after him, and thanks to him player 3 or 4 will score points. That's a very bad move, that only happen with new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samuraislyr wrote:
You know you can't guess unless a cop is on the same tile as the suspect? If one kill happens there would be only one cop on an empty tile. Everyone would most likely have to waste one action to move and only get one guess. If the suspects that ran away from the first kill were all placed in one area then I guess the next player would get away with more.

It would largely be a waste for the other players and honestly if that was how everyone was playing I'd just kill my 3 targets in 3 turns if possible and call game over.

I do feel the game needs a few more animals on the board to make it a little more confusing. Using logic you can sometimes make out who is who but if all the animals are mixed up enough it's pretty confusing.

khaali wrote:
3/4 suspects is not enough for a clean kill.
But in your example, player 2 doesn't play cleverly, because he has a low chance to find the killer. By trying to find him nonetheless, he earns no point and narrows the number of suspects for the players after him, and thanks to him player 3 or 4 will score points. That's a very bad move, that only happen with new players.

Thanks for the answers!

Yes we know that you need a cop, so that requires most of the time to use your 2 actions.

But still, if P2 happens to have one suspect as a target, a 50% chance to get one point and remove a player from the game without taking any risk at all is still pretty good.

And that was even more ridiculous when we played with the 8 cops. The board was swarmed with cops everywhere making it almost impossible to have a kill with more than 3 suspects.
+ as soon as a player is out, this player will only keep guessing and guessing... This is not a really nice experience for this player either.

The "riskless" part is probably what bothers me the most I guess. I don't want to house rule, but I would love to see a variant where you get penalized for a wrong guess.

We played with 20 tiles and 20 animals for 5 players. Is that the right way? I didn't really look into the other expansions, but I can definitely try to add something if it would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deena Pilgrim
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
landcsf wrote:

But still, if P2 happens to have one suspect as a target, a 50% chance to get one point and remove a player from the game without taking any risk at all is still pretty good.

The "riskless" part is probably what bothers me the most I guess. I don't want to house rule, but I would love to see a variant where you get penalized for a wrong guess.

That's why you should kill with 5-7 suspects (espacially in the firsts rounds) INCLUDING your 2 other targets as suspects.
Trying to arrest someone has a cost : 2 actions (move a cop, interrogate), and as I said if you miss the killer you spend those action to actually offer a point to the players after you.

The player who plays after a kill can place the bystanders on any tile he wants, so he'd better build a setting for killing his own target, better than wasting his actions on interrogation, unless he's sure of the identity of the killer.

landcsf wrote:

And that was even more ridiculous when we played with the 8 cops. The board was swarmed with cops everywhere making it almost impossible to have a kill with more than 3 suspects.

Yep, it's much better to use the modified rule and play with 2 cop max (3 for 5 players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.